Elder Charms??

General Discussion
Prev 1 13 14 15 Next
What you quoted is not very specific at all. It could mean that some drops are 35% and others only went to 20%. When the new loot system was first being presented, ghostcrawler revealed that the chance for geting an epic loot item from a boss was 15% and the sack was 85%. Why haven't they told us what the chances have increased to? "More than double in some cases" is far too vague to be helpful.

You honestly think they increased the drop chance by 5% and then said they increased it "greatly"?" Honestly?

Look, people are pressing GC for a number and I'm sure he'll give it to them soon, but come on, be realistic.

As I've said many times, this is a non-issue. Those of you who are not getting any elder charms need to just do your daily quests, kill a couple rares, being mindful of the loot bug, loot for a mogu chest in the troll area (We now know that each person can only loot ONE treasure chest per week and that the spawn areas appear to be somewhat static) and get into a group to complete the weekly quest involving the summoning stones. If you do all these things, you WILL get Elder Charms.

The drop chance is NOT so low that we need another way.

Let me put it another way:

Your chance of getting elder charms is better than those elder charms working for you, so if you are SO unlucky as not to get them, then they probably won't work anyway.

I'm starting to believe some of you either are lying or are doing the wrong things.
I'm starting to believe some of you either are lying or are doing the wrong things.

Telll me where I am wrong.
Elder charms drop from the chest (1 per week)
Elder charms drop from the "incantantion of" mini bosses,( 1 book per week)
Elder charms drop in the solo scenario.
Elder charms can drop from the last daily bag? I have not had any in 6 bags but I have had everything else.

Elder charms do not drop off normal mobs
Elder charms do not drop off rares
Elder charms do not drop from the quest champions.

The key for the solo scenario drops of the rares(1 per week)
and very rare chance from other sources(according to blue) for example the bag at the end of the daily chain.

I believe the quest champions count as rares if you are on the quest. So if you have already had a rare key their is no benefit past the actual quest itself.

Tell me where I am wrong or lieing, it mostly comes down to your luck with rares which are buggy pos in terms of looting, I could have had a dozen keys but since I only end up looting 1 in 2 at best I am left with my 30 odd kills before I got a key.
So when did this change happen? was it just like a hot fix after the patch? I didn't see it in the patch notes, but then I see a blue post about it but not saying when it happened?

Can someone enlighten me? Just wondering if I misread patch notes, or if there might be more changes somewhere after the patch went live that I should read as I don't want to miss anything. Thanks

SOMEONE HELP!! I FEEL LIKE I'M MISSING SOMETHING!!
03/08/2013 08:40 AMPosted by Xiongmaoren
I just recently came back. I don't have the Valor to buy the neck, and I already have the only Valor plate DPS ring. Unless you can wear two of them, I have to get a ring upgrade elsewhere, And I have less than 200 Justice. As for the JC ring, I'm not spending 4k gold on 8 ilvls, sorry.

Do this quest: Shadow of the Empire. You get a rewarded with a ring that's ilvl 489, like the one I'm wearing in slot 1 for my rings.

Prior to getting into a single raid, I had my ilvl at 480. You should be fine if you just do some more heroics. The Shado-Pan trinket (the 489 one) can be had for less than a week's worth of VP now too.

Getting just the ring from the quest and buying a cheap trinket (see above) should be enough to get you those last 3 points you need. Good luck! :)

Thank you very much! I neglected to finish off the fishing portion of Dread Wastes, which I did today and got the ring. I also ran into a very nice streak of luck today! I got a key. Dumb luck I suppose, dropped off a normal mob. With that, I did the scenario and netted 6 Elder Charms. Spent 3 of them at TOES and was able to obtain the helm token off of Sha. I am now able to enter ToT next week.

With all that, I still don't agree how random the chances are. Yes, I got lucky and got a key, but I still don't see why it has to come down to RNG. The initial use of Elder Charms were to help with RNG in the first place. Adding an additional layer of RNG just doesn't seem like the way to go. I know, I know, the odds are in your favor to eventually get either a key or at least a few Elder Charms, but there are going to be people who just can't win for losing, and may never see another Elder Charm. I can't help but feel a little bad for them.
03/08/2013 10:00 AMPosted by Darroch
If you do all these things, you WILL get Elder Charms.

That's sort of the issue. People are doing them and they're not getting Elder Charms because the key isn't dropping for them, or they didn't get the lucky winning roll on the rares, or the chest didn't have any or...

You know, all those things that you declare won't happen to anyone despite being in a thread with people saying that they aren't getting any despite "doing it right".
@Mate

If you take part in killing a rare and cannot loot a tome of valor at the very least, you are experiencing the loot bug. Leave the area for a few minutes and then come back and you can then loot correctly. Another person pointed out a more immediate and very creative fix as well, wherein you kill a regular mob after kiting them next to the rare's body and then the area loot feature will help you with the rare looting bug.

I'm sure they will hotfix the loot bug soon so this won't happen for much longer.

As for the RNG of it all, what we are trying to explain to you is that it will happen for you, just keep trying. There doesn't need to be another way to obtain them, in my opinion, because on a longer timeline (this being day four of the content) you will obtain far more than with a lesser charm turn-in.

And for those of you complaining that you've stockpiled all these lesser charms and now they have no use, remember that you'll be turning them into Mogu Runes of Fate. It's not as if you're going to have to collect a brand new kind of charm for those - Your stockpile still has significance.

I'm not claiming that there isn't a disparity going on here, I understand your frustration. I certainly don't mean to imply that you are doing things wrong, or lying, as you've been fairly clear about the things you are doing. Though I'm not sure we are getting the truth from some other people, as another poster astutely pointed out. (someone was claiming to have no luck killing rares who had, in fact, killed none)

It's going to take us all some time to familiarize ourselves with the new content and I spend probably 14 hours the first day, much of it wasted on things I thought were benefical that weren't and the whole point of me posting here is to try and share information and quell the fear that it's going to be hard to get Elder Charms.

I'll close by saying that I understand where you're coming from and what seems to be a contentious argument between us is really just me trying to assure you that what you are experiencing is a bout of short term bad luck. Once you get your first purple key, that will all end. You'll have enough Elder Charms to last you until you find another key, and so on and so forth.

If it's any consolation, this rogue found a chest within 5 minutes of stepping on the island, used the key inside to obtain 15 elder charms, then proceeded to spend them ALL on the Stone Guard in LFR chasing what I hoped would be two epic daggers. I didn't even get ONE, though I did get the epic pants 4 times :(

RNG is RNG
And eventually all luck evens out. Keep at it.
I'm getting sick of this well it's so easy to get the elder charms now, there is chests laying around everywhere as the blue mentioned. I found one chest spending countless hours in the Thunder zone, killed about 20 rares and not had one key drop from them either. This is someoen who has had a couple days off and could spend most of the day in the zone too.

People who can't camp and farm rares or treasure hunter all day and night, I don't understand the point of view that they are so easy to get a hold of now. Considering the people who need them the most are players starting the older Mists raids and want to gear up for the new 5.2 ones, seems punishing.

The one key I got did at the end of the scenario allow me to get like 8 charms, but, getting a key for the scenario again is not something that is easy to get every day. I have used about 7 charms on Lei Shi with no gun drop, in fact using the charms I only had one piece of loot come out of it, rest bags of gold. I'm not seeing easier to obtain LFR gear, and chances are what does drop is something you already have.

I just think this is a messy situation witht he charms and is not really good for the player base as a whole.
I got two today from completing all the dailies on IOT in the little box you get at the end "Sunreaver something". Just figured I would share that you can get them that way as well.
03/08/2013 08:11 PMPosted by Fearonimo
The one key I got did at the end of the scenario allow me to get like 8 charms, but, getting a key for the scenario again is not something that is easy to get every day.

It seems to be one chest every week, one key from a single source every week (i.e. one from rares)

You're not supposed to get one every day.

How can you say you got 8 elder charms and STILL not be happy?

The vast majority of people will do the daily quest chain every day, the weekly quest chain every week, kill a few rares, loot at least one purple key, and get more than the 3 elder charms they could get prior.

I have used about 7 charms on Lei Shi with no gun drop, in fact using the charms I only had one piece of loot come out of it, rest bags of gold

Let's assume that "about 7 charms" is in fact 7, for the sake of argument.
It just means you were unlucky - it's not really a large sample size. That's 8 chances, including the original roll for the week. RNG is RNG. Maybe you'll the gun on the next roll and then it will all be worth it. Part of chaos of how random it is inevitably becomes satisfaction once you reach your goal. Keep at it. Seriously, two weeks ago you would have only gotten half the amount of rolls at what was probably half the drop %.

The drop rate in LFR has been "greatly increased" and in some cases "more than doubled"
It has not been increased 100%

I'm not sure what, if anything, you have to complain about, sir.
You're a genius. Why should we be forced to acquire Lesser Charms to get Elder Charms when we can hop over onto that awesome island to get charms for raids? The planning and thought put into this system is plainly wonderful. Did you have something to do with it? That would explain a lot. Cool.

Fixed that for you.

Let me know when you max out your Elder Charms at 20.
I've done all the dailies on the island a total of 8 times across 3 toons. I've gotten no Elder Charms except 1 toon got a Key and got 7 from the scenario. (Of course, that toon doesn't need any.)

I have found no chests at all after sooooo many hours farming mobs and exploring.

I do not like this at all for the 2 toons I still could use Elder Charms for. It all seems to depend on a small chance of finding a key.
The vast majority of people will do the daily quest chain every day, the weekly quest chain every week, kill a few rares, loot at least one purple key, and get more than the 3 elder charms they could get prior.

The drop rate in LFR has been "greatly increased" and in some cases "more than doubled"
It has not been increased 100%

I did a test on a alt I had not played this week up till now. Hit the island .Too slow on the first 2 rare calls got to mum as the next likely rare and he was. Stone+key+incantation book+valor. Note I had still had to do the log in/log out trick to get half of it. But i did see the lot before it bugged.

I have to wonder how much of the heartache in the thread is caused by the buggy loot. If the system think that your key for the week is sitting unclaimed on a body killing another 3-4 rares over the next 30 minutes is not going to get you any more keys.

As for the looting itself. Logging and out sometimes works, running into the next sub zone, sometimes works, killing a mob next to the corpse sometimes works. They are not exclusive. You can log in and out still get nothing, run away and come back and get loot, but also run away,come back still nothing, log in and out and bam loot. Their is no magic fix:( even with that at least half the bodies i will get gold as someone else loots the corpse but nothing else no matter what I do.

I am assuming that the weekly chance does in fact count as 3 rares in terms of keys but at this point I am happy that once they fix the looting even fresh 90's will be able to get sufficient elder charms.
@Mate

Well, I'm glad we're finding some common ground. Good luck with all your toons in their hunt for Thunder Isle treasure :)
The Elder Charms also drop fairly frequently on the isle.

Define "fairly frequently". Is this in relation to Blizz's "Soon™"?
Do this quest: Shadow of the Empire. You get a rewarded with a ring that's ilvl 489, like the one I'm wearing in slot 1 for my rings.

It is a great ring, but those who didn't do a lot of Klaxxi quests will have a LOT of work to get to that point.