What is the faction war called?

Story Forum
Garrosh's War makes the most sense.

on the horde side most orcs are for the war and are probably proud to call it "Garrosh's War".
the Tauren, Blood Elves, Trolls, and Forsaken don't really want anything to do with this war. they fight because if they don't Garrosh will turn on them. And Goblins don't care they just want to get paid.

on the alliance side every race sees Garrosh as the aggressor and the one who started the war.

so we got at least 10 different races that'll say this is Garrosh's War.

and what happened in UnderCity during WotLK wasn't the start of anything. Varian was pissed said some stuff and never did anything afterwards.
Judging by the responses the War of Tears sounds more fitting, but Garrosh's War sounds very plausible, going "first, second, , third, fourth..." to name the wars is kind of lame.
also i'm pretty sure "first, second, and third" had other names. i doubt during the first war people were calling it the first war and the same goes for the next 2.
03/03/2013 09:28 PMPosted by Vulonorok
Are you even serious?

Garrosh is (or was) a symptom of orcish culture. Take what you want, make no apologies, you come before everyone else. You can't stay in power if you don't have a significant amount of support, and that he had in excess.

Now things might be changing, and popular opinion may be turning against him, but that wasn't so at the start of his little turn at warchief.
03/03/2013 09:28 PMPosted by Vulonorok
Garrosh is a symptom, not a cause
Are you even serious?

When the 4/6ths of the Horde leadership go "No, please" and he goes" Tough !@#$% do it anyway" I'd say that's no longer Symptom level.

The Horde only considers him the problem because his decisions have started to negatively impact them.

To the Alliance, he's merely a symptom of the Horde's larger problems. The problems being the Horde's warlike culture and the way they view members of the Old Horde with near religious reverence. Most of which is Thrall's fault, not Garrosh's.

It wasn't Garrosh who decided to build Orgrimmar in a desert, nor was it Garrosh who originally let the Warsong continue logging in Ashenvale. Garrosh did not appoint himself Warchief. He was even ashamed of his father's legacy until Thrall came by and gave him completely uncritical praise of Grom. The Garrosh being deposed is entirely a creation of Thrall's Horde culture, but anyone who tries to call Thrall out on it is painted as an irrational racist.
Garrosh is (or was) a symptom of orcish culture. Take what you want, make no apologies, you come before everyone else. You can't stay in power if you don't have a significant amount of support, and that he had in excess.Now things might be changing, and popular opinion may be turning against him, but that wasn't so at the start of his little turn at warchief.

At the start, he looked almost reasonable, if harsh. Sure, he got off to a (very) rough start with the other leaders. However, he replaced incompetant/dishonorable leaders (Stonetalon and Southern Barrens), halted an invasion of Horde territory, backtracked on some of his unpopular programs (like kicking all non orcs out of Org), took a hard stance against the use of Fel magic and Plague, and made gains in Horde turf.

Then, he uses the PC as bait to draw out Twilights Hammer, gets his Airship fleet destroyed stupidly attacking the Alliance, uses his troops as fodder to gaurentee as many Alliance blow up as possible in Theramore, starts infesting his troops with Psycho Serum in the name of strengthening them (despite 100% failure rate, he keeps trying, which eventually costs him one of his most loyal sidekicks), and starts having the Kor'Kron use fel magic and oppress disidents.

Basically, at this point, I'm thinking we're going to see some loss of support among even Orcs.
03/04/2013 07:22 AMPosted by Sefoniel
also i'm pretty sure "first, second, and third" had other names. i doubt during the first war people were calling it the first war and the same goes for the next 2.

I'm sure they didn't call the First War that initially just like we didnt call WWI that until after WWII had come and gone because it was the only war. NPCS all through the game call them the First, Second, and Third Wars though, so those are the names.
03/02/2013 01:49 PMPosted by Draelk
Sargeras's Day Off.

LOL nice one that got a laugh out of me.
I second "The War".

We're running out of reasons to keep fighting. There are more and more neutral factions and old blood feuds are dying out. The Cenarion Circle, Argent Crusade, Darkmoon Faire etc.

I vote new factions. Horde/Alliance is boring and it's not working anymore.
If we're to call it Garrosh's War, let it be the Garrosh'ar War. Means the same thing but sounds a lot better.
Tuesday.
Often wars don't get their names until after the conflict is over.

For instance, no one called the Hundred Years War by that name three years into the conflict.

Similarly, World War I wasn't called that until after World War II.
The war that never ends, lol
It's all perspective.
It seems to me that the names we have for the First/Second/Third wars are given by Stormwind scholars who survived the sacking of Stormwind and then remained in the kingdom of Lordaeron or Dalaran until heading west with Jaina's lot.

If you ask a Blackrock Orc, there has only ever been one war (with maybe three phases).
- Sacking of Stormwind
- Assault on Lordaeron
- Defense of Blackrock Spire (that has been ongoing since what we call the "second war")

Some Orcs and Ogres might tell you that there were two Orc-Human wars (prior to the current "fourth war").
- The first and second wars, the Horde was on an ongoing march across the entire Eastern Kingdoms. They might consider those "two", a single long war.
- The Third War is what the Orcs might consider the second war.

Dwarves, High Elves, Human nations (barring Stormwind), and Amani Trolls might all call the Second War something different, as for them it was their first combat against/with the Horde.

The current war might end up being called the Fourth War.
Currently, it would probably be called the War of Orcish Dominance by Garrosh, the Foolish War by Baine or Anduin, the Conquest of Lordaeron by Sylvanas, the War of Horde Aggression by Varian, the Traitor's War by Vol'jin, and for many civilians it's just "that war over there" until the scholars or soldiers come and tell them what they are calling it at that point in time.
The war that never ends, lol

"Blizzard's War"
I don't think it'd be the Fourth War since the first three were against the Legion (or the Legion's proxy army in the case of the First and Second).
03/19/2013 06:40 PMPosted by Reignac
I don't think it'd be the Fourth War since the first three were against the Legion (or the Legion's proxy army in the case of the First and Second).

Using "Azeroth vs. Burning Legion" as the standard... wouldn't the War of the Ancients be the First War?

Using "Azeroth vs. Burning Legion" as the standard... wouldn't the War of the Ancients be the First War?

The night elves named that one, not the humans.

If anything, I'd say BC was the Fourth War.
We won't know until it's over.

So we'll probably never know.
First War, Second War, Nexus War, Burning Crusade, War of Kalimdor, Fall of Gilneas, War of Northrend... Age of Chaos..