Wow stuttering after patch 5.2

Technical Support
Prev 1 2 3 4 26 Next
I get the same problem. Disabled everything.
I did notice the problem before 5.2, it happened when ever i changed zone into a CRZ it would freeze for 1-2 seconds and i would see 'You are rested' or something.
In addition just prior to 5.1 i was leveling up Argent Tournament rep/achievements and I noticed that while in Northrend it would do it a LOT, maybe every time while phasing but it would be 1-10 seconds.

As for now, happening a lot generally when there is activity like someone ganks me or loading something new.

Running procmon.exe to see what kind of activity wow has when it freezes shows that it often performs a 'ReadFile' operation on 'C:\Games\World of Warcraft\Data\Cache\enUS\patch-enUS-16650.MPQ' about once a second for the duration of the freeze and not much else. This made me think it was downloading patch data but i checked and i have it all downloaded, deleted it and did a repair too.

My partner who sits next to me gets the same kind of lag, just not in the same length as mine. They have quite a different computer setup.

Wow is sitting on an SSD hdd, done a repair, remove mods, etc, etc, etc.
thought it was just me too, getting the drops of fps and random times and then spikes up again
Meaningfull blue post acknowledging a clear problem would be nice. Not simply stated what everyone has already tried...

This is not an add-on issue, as above posters and myself have distinguished.
It'd be nice to get some sort of positive response from a blizzard blue that is *not* blaming client's computers, setups or files. Hopefully one sees this and responds soon with something positive and helpful. :(
I was getting the random stuttering and freezing since the patch. Decided to reboot my comp last night. Now when i log in I get between 4 and 7 fps everytime. The character selection screen is even stuttering the animations are super slow. Disabled addons, renamed folders, repaired game and still unplayable. Oh well, no wow guess i will have to leave my house /gasp
Getting the same problem, jump into a fight, travel to a new area, lots of particals/mobs spawn and my computer has a 2-3 second conniption fit and drops from 110 FPS down to ~20

This happens in diablo 3 as well for me right now too, though D3 is FPS capped at 60, still drops just the same.

i7 OC 3.8ghz
16gigs RAM
2x Nvidia 460 1gig ram in SLI
2 separate SSD, 1 for OS the other for gaming

Updated drivers, virus/maleware check, im running a 50/25 fios for my internet connection, I built my system with a display that has thermal probes running through out the vital parts of my rig.... no overheating

and after all this, seeing as how so many others have a similar problem.... one that was not there before no less, I can only assume that alls we can do is wait for blizz to fix :(
and after all this, seeing as how so many others have a similar problem.... one that was not there before no less, I can only assume that alls we can do is wait for blizz to fix :(

to that I say. good luck. it could be a few months at the rate they fix issues like this. b/c not everybody is having the issue, it's not a priority to them. :(
to that I say. good luck. it could be a few months at the rate they fix issues like this. b/c not everybody is having the issue, it's not a priority to them. :(

Sadly, I agree. This is exactly like the cogentco backbone latency. Not every player experienced it. Blizz took their time to acknowledge that it wasn't client side.

I know patches will produce conflicts, but the last 2 so far have been my bane. Jumping through the hoops of delete these folders, reset to default, reinstall the game, run as/as not admin, no addons, 32 vs 64, DX 9 vs DX 11, etc...its pretty obvious that the player base knows that will be the cookie cutter replies at first (HOPEFULLY not) and that is why they have tried them all to no avail.

If it was the community as a whole, this would already be addressed at least.
Haven't played in about 2 months and just reactivated my subscription and am currently downloading all the patches/content I missed.

I'll be fine and then all of the sudden my latency will skyrocket and I'll lag for a period of time (anywhere between 5 and 20 seconds) before going back to normal. It's pretty recurrent though.

I was hoping it was just a side effect of downloading while playing but after seeing this thread I'm not so sure.
I came to the forums with exactly the same problem. Haven't diabled/removed all addons yet but I disabled the most likely culprits with no effect. Only lagging since 5.2 which really points to WoW or the addons rather than hardware. Will try removing all addons for a bit but that seems unlikely to help. Trying bumping video settings down from everything Ultra but that didn't help.

Lag spikes range from 1/2 a second minor stutter to 5-10 seconds where it seems like a complete lockup then it recovers and I can continue playing. Framerate drops from 100 to zip. Sometimes the lagouts aren't complete and the FPS drops from 70-100 down to 20-30, noticeable and painful but still responsive. Others its a complete halt.

I checked Windows Event logs and there are no "driver stopped responding and has been restarted" type messages. Temps seem acceptable on CPU/Video. When it lags out the ATI card "throttles down" - core speed drops to the minimum and fan speeds drop as well. Not sure whether this is causing or caused by the game becoming unresponsive.

Seems to happen anywhere in the world, had it happen a lot while flying round the heartland searching for dark soil. But it happens (randomly) when changing zones, opening an archaeology dig, sitting in one spot and panning around, opening the map, opening bags, opening other UI elements (quests etc).

"Only" running an i7-950 on an Asus Rampage III but running dual SSDs (one for OS, one for games), 6gb RAM and an Asus 7970. Tried latest WHQL & beta drivers for video. Windows 7 64bit is up to date. All other drivers are up to date.
This littarly only happen after the most recent patch before that patch I was pulling 60Fps pretty much everywhere in game, log out go to bed wake up to a patch, bam 4FPS 5FPS

the game is beyond unplayable for me, a Blue response to this problem would be nice
Maybe we should also start posting our ISP's and locations, that might help Blizz...

Time Warner Cable Extreme 30 down 5 up
North Carolina.

Also I've got an AMD quad core phenom system with 8 GB RAM and geforce 460 gtx card.
I'm experiencing the same thing. I thought it was an issue on my end that wasn't making sense since I just re-installed WoW and everything on my computer with in the last 2 weeks.

From what I can tell in this thread, appears to be an issue with nVidia based cards?
I'm experiencing the same thing. I thought it was an issue on my end that wasn't making sense since I just re-installed WoW and everything on my computer with in the last 2 weeks.

From what I can tell in this thread, appears to be an issue with nVidia based cards?

Nope. Mine is an HD Radeon 5770. And I get these lag spikes. Perfect framerate, then out of the blue my framerate hovers around under 10 for seconds, then goes back up to normal.

Nope. Mine is an HD Radeon 5770. And I get these lag spikes. Perfect framerate, then out of the blue my framerate hovers around under 10 for seconds, then goes back up to normal.
There goes that conclusion then.
Getting random FPS drops since 5.2 as well.
My Fps spikes and locks up in BGs. I first thought it was my card but i still have the lock ups when i swap cards
During this week, I've noticed that, when my client "stutters", only one of my processor's core will be working and about 100% load. I quickly switch to system monitors and the 100% load drops to ~50-65% as soon as the stutter stops. I didn't check memory usage.

I cannot reliably reproduce this behaviour. It just happens, randomly, several times a day. More often than not it will trigger from some kind of interaction with npcs ( enemies or even pet battles spells ).

Some posters claim it's a server related issue because it's affecting several players at same time. It would be really interesting to check if they are also experiencing similar situations at same time or not. If it's affecting simultaneously several players, it's less likely to be a client error.

I initially tried to change affinity masks but it didn't work ( I might force it to run on only one core at some point). After that, I've cleaned my wtf/interface/cache and set graphics to low ( which is terrible because I can't see anything now, just fog). The problem persists.

It's important to restate: these lockups did not occur before Tuesday.

Edit: Also, it's worth noting that I run in window-fullscreen mode
same issue here since the patch
Getting same problem game running fine 60 -50 fps then just drops out for a few seconds. 2-4 fps had it happen on new island doing dailies, the farm, and just standing in stormwind.

Did the normal clean out add-ons and cache folders. Only happens in wow anything else i play works fine.