FPS considerably lower since 5.2

Mac Technical Support
I had the same issue a week or so before the patch. It appears to be triggered when a "heavy 3d application crashes". This would be programs such as "Maya" or games that suddenly crash and give that annoying "apple" submit bull-crap window that apple never looks at.

Resetting the SMC does FIX the issue.

And I have successfully reproduced the problem by "force crashing maya". I had to do it 3 times for some reason, but non-the-less was able to get to 9fps after doing this. Re-booting and resetting SMC fixes everything back to normal.

I suspect a graphics error is being logged elsewhere but have been unsuccessful in finding a satisfactory log that pinpoints the issue.

I have one other speculation, is that a website with flash the crashes within the page (which sometimes happens and you get the little sad face may also trigger this problem of having to reset the SMC). Apple likes keeping things very black-box so its prob. some one at apple pressing a "piss wow players off" button :)

I highly recommend resetting your PRam and your SMC.

However, I did want to point out that on the Retina displays (and most mac book pro's of today). That first section for resetting the SMC is useless. You want to follow these instructions if you can not remove your battery:

- Shut down the computer.
Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.
- On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
Press the power button to turn on the computer.
Note: The LED on the MagSafe power adapter may change states or temporarily turn off when you reset the SMC.

I want to note, you must use the built-in keyboard and you must follow instruction perfectly. If you do not, you wont get a reset. The "LED" on the mag adapter should flash "green" if you did it correctly. After that you should power back up.
Hi All

The issue that I was having originally with my 2012 rMBP was addressed with the current work around solution addressed in the sticky updated on 3/10/13 of known issues.

in the mean time we have to switch our desktop resolution back to (BEST) until it is patched.

A bit of a !@#$% (first world problem, I know) but it does solve the problem.
Huge speed improvement over the past week.
But still not as good as before.
I'm not on a MAC.

Just started happening in the last week. FPS goes from low 70s to mid 20s about every 46-60 secs. Last about 5 secs then jumps back up to mid 70s. I deleted my WTF, Cache, and Interface folder. I'm running no mods. It also happens when I'm just standing there not moving. It still happens when my graphic settings are set to low when I usually run them set to high.

I leave for Afghanistan in three days so I'm not to worried about it (assuming it will be fixed when I get back) but I wanted to post because it is happening to me (a PC user).
Experiencing the 10-15 fps "standing still in the middle of nowhere" issue also, with all addons disabled and graphics set to "Fair". Started last week. I took my Mac into the Apple store for a system checkup to see if that was the issue. After an overnight system check, there is nothing wrong with the machine itself.

Software:

System Software Overview:

System Version: Mac OS X 10.7.5 (11G63)
Kernel Version: Darwin 11.4.2
64-bit Kernel and Extensions: Yes
Time since boot: 59 minutes

Hardware:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro6,2
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 8 GB
Processor Interconnect Speed: 4.8 GT/s
Boot ROM Version: MBP61.0057.B0F
SMC Version (system): 1.58f17
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

Graphics/Displays:

NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 512 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0a29
Revision ID: 0x00a2
ROM Revision: 3560
gMux Version: 1.9.21
Displays:
Color LCD:
Display Type: LCD
Resolution: 1440 x 900
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Built-In: Yes

Intel HD Graphics:

Chipset Model: Intel HD Graphics
Bus: Built-In
VRAM (Total): 288 MB
Vendor: Intel (0x8086)
Device ID: 0x0046
Revision ID: 0x0018
gMux Version: 1.9.21

Other:

Input Source ID: com.apple.keylayout.US
Keyboard Layout: ANSI
bah...im not bothering with this game anymore till this problem is fixed either with a patch that addresses this or another expansion. Get ur !@#$ together bizzard.
I am glad to see this is not only me this is happening to, though i wish it weren't happening to anyone. I can barely get 10 fps now and thats standing still in a noncombat zone, i feel like my person is constantly wading through mud, I've tried everything suggested and nothing works, this sucks
Same issue with FPS here.
Did all the resets including SMC.

Here is the deal. Everything worked fine until the 5.3 patch. I'm not seeing any fix around. The only fix I knew of, was to boot up in Bootcamp, and play from there.
Mac side - 15 - 20 fps (FAIR settings)
PC/Bootcamp - 60 - 100+ fps ULTRA settings - I must say the PC side is so beautiful. I had no idea. But it still doesn't fix the Mac side issue.

Suggestions greatly appreciated.

Software:

System Version: OS X 10.8.3 (12D78)
      Kernel Version: Darwin 12.3.0
      Time since boot: 4 minutes

Hardware:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: iMac
      Model Identifier: iMac13,2
      Processor Speed: 3.4 GHz
      Number of Processors: 1
      Total Number of Cores: 4
      L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
      L3 Cache: 8 MB
      Memory: 16 GB
      Boot ROM Version: IM131.010A.B04
      SMC Version (system): 2.11f14

Graphics/Displays:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX
      Bus: PCIe
      PCIe Lane Width: x16
      VRAM (Total): 2048 MB
      Device ID: 0x11a3
      ROM Revision: 3707
      Displays:
        iMac:
          Display Type: LCD
          Resolution: 2560 x 1440
          Connection Type: DisplayPort

Other:

Thanks a million for your help.
I was having the same problem... I was sitting at around 5fps and i disabled recount and tidyplates. Now on 25fps... Not the best but still ALOT better =)
Some have reported that ending the wowbrowserproxy.exe process from Task Manager helped their FPS.
I'm a PC user.

After the 'update' tuesday, my fps in the world is 40-50 if I'm on all low settings. Even out in the middle of the barrens.

LFR, forget it. 3-5 fps. Dungeons get me about 10-15.

I've removed all addons and renamed cache, wtf and interface folders. Have scanned for viruses, malware, etc.

In the past normal sitting around in cities would get me 70-100 fps and all multi-player areas wouldn't dip below 50fps.

Something is definitely not right.
I'm having FPS issues as well. I used to get around 50FPS but not it's around 20. I don't have any addons installed
Since 5.2, I seem to get severe drops in FPS (down to around 2-3 FPS) whenever my camera is looking at anything with volumetric detail... like spots of fog, fire, wispy trails of smoke or magic, anything with lots of dense see-thru particle physics. Even with all addons turned off I get this. The instance Shado-Pan Monastery is nearly impossible to run in places as a result. The FPS-drop seems to really only happen with specific spells/effects; if I am able to move on past the laggy parts (or just point my camera straight down at the floor) my FPS improves dramatically.

Software:

System Version: Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K549)
Kernel Version: Darwin 10.8.0
64-bit Kernel and Extensions: No
Time since boot: 5 minutes

Hardware:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro7,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MBP71.0039.B0B
SMC Version (system): 1.62f7
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

Graphics/Displays:

NVIDIA GeForce 320M:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 320M
Bus: PCI
VRAM (Total): 256 MB
Device ID: 0x08a0
ROM Revision: 3533
Displays:
Color LCD:
Resolution: 1280 x 800
Display Connector:

Other:

I'm not on a Mac either. I'm on a PC running Windows 7 Pro. Just bought a new graphics card, since after the patch, all liquid fire effects had big fat squares around them. After reading through several forums and deleting a line in the WTF Config file, I finally got the graphics card issue fixed. NOW I can't get a framerate above 10 in the game regardless of what settings I change.
I've turned off all the add ons. That didn't help. I tried adjusting the vertical sync settings. Didn't help either. The game is unplayable. It is very choppy, even just walking around. Plays fine on my husband's Mac, so I know it must be something on my PC, but not a clue where to begin to fix it.
Like many posting in this thread, I had completely no problems prior to 5.4.

Another option to look at is the possibility of LUA errors. 5.4 introduced a problem causing constant LUA errors for me without running any type of addons at all.

Detailed here:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/9881949472#8

This script solved the problem.

/run SetCVar("raidFramesDisplayIncomingHeals",1)

/console reloadui
Not seeing those kinds of errors, thankfully.
I did find that by turning my graphics settings all the way down to low, that I can get my fps up from 5-10 to 30-31. I looked on our Mac- it's getting 64+ >.<
So, I'm guessing they've changed something since the patch that is requiring a heavier memory/graphics load on my poor, ancient PC. I'm not a hardcore gamer by any means. Life is crazy right now, so I'm not raiding at all, basically log on and do pet battles a few times a week and maybe a mission or two- tend the garden, that sort of thing. WOW is my relax time. Not so relaxing when constantly having to deal with silly business like this.
So if I'm getting crap frame rates and I've upgraded the graphics card, what would the next likely hardware culprit be? Processor? RAM?
My computer says it's running Windows 7 Pro, Intel Core2 CPU 6400 @2.13 GHz 4GB RAM, 32 Bit OS
I'm not sure how much more I'm willing to spend just to stay in the game casually, but I have been here since before BC and do enjoy hopping on once in a while. If it's a relatively easy fix, I would try it.
And thanks Prie for the suggestion. I wondered if anyone would respond to this thread at all.
Software:

System Version: Mac OS X 10.7.5 (11G63)
Kernel Version: Darwin 11.4.2
64-bit Kernel and Extensions: Yes
Time since boot: 1:03

Hardware:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Air
Model Identifier: MacBookAir4,2
Processor Speed: 1.8 GHz