Noob Monk- PvP WW Monk Stat Priority?

Monk
So ive been wanting to play my WW monk a bit more, and now with Malevolent gear being purchasable with honor,I'm now gearing him up.

What is the stat priority I'm looking fro? Do we go mastery cause of the new brew mastery? Or are we a crit class?
Bumping this, not sure if our states changed in 5.2 as I have been gone. I
I believe the problem here is nobody takes WW or MW anymore because Blizzard is nerfing a gimped class.

I would suggest re-rolling.
Dononmyron you are super helpful. It's impressive how when someone asks for help you feel the obligation to spit on the class.

Useless comment.
...alrighty then Ima stack me some mastery till somebody tells me im doing it wrong!
looking at mastery, it will help our on call burst no doubt, crit will help maintain pressure with spike dmg, haste is purely pressure, pick your play style
Don't listen to Dono, he's trolling. And badly. Monks were buffed hardcore this last patch to compensate for the lack of monk players. I'm too lazy to look for it, but if you google you can actually see that Blizzard themselves said that were purposely making monk's overpowered to get more players playing them. As for pvp stats, I know that last season it was crit>haste>mastery. Obviously making sure to get your 3% expertise and hit cap first. I'm seeing more monks going haste>crit=mastery this season, but I think it's too early to tell if that's the best route to take
03/08/2013 02:41 PMPosted by ßruiselee
Don't listen to Dono, he's trolling. And badly. Monks were buffed hardcore this last patch to compensate for the lack of monk players. I'm too lazy to look for it, but if you google you can actually see that Blizzard themselves said that were purposely making monk's overpowered to get more players playing them.

I think you misinterpreted what they said.

We didn’t want to recreate the balance problem we had when we introduced Death Knights during Wrath of the Lich King, but we ended up being too conservative. The result is that Monks haven’t been as well represented in PvP as we’d like. While we toned down the control of several other classes, we felt like we needed to give Monks some substantial buffs to make them more viable in PvP.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/8980104/Patch_52_Class_Reviews_%E2%80%93_Part_4______-3_8_2013

They did not say they were making monks OP. They did say that they wanted monks to have more on-demand burst. That's kind of what the mastery change was about. But combined with the stance and RSK changes, this translates to an on-demand burst that's dependent on a ton of chi-generation (and spending) and less sustained pressure. That makes your brews all the more important and if you do get locked down, GG.

Additionally, my understanding is that WW's still have major survivability issues even with the addition of Nimble Brew and RoP.
So ive been wanting to play my WW monk a bit more, and now with Malevolent gear being purchasable with honor,I'm now gearing him up.

What is the stat priority I'm looking fro? Do we go mastery cause of the new brew mastery? Or are we a crit class?
It has to do with playstyle...but I say Crit>Mastery>Haste. I get a soft energy cap of about 2k and dont get energy starved. Crit makes good consistent damage and mastery gives monk more burst when you get your 10 stacks.
03/08/2013 03:22 PMPosted by Lmcm
They did not say they were making monks OP. They did say that they wanted monks to have more on-demand burst. That's kind of what the mastery change was about. But combined with the stance and RSK changes, this translates to an on-demand burst that's dependent on a ton of chi-generation (and spending) and less sustained pressure. That makes your brews all the more important and if you do get locked down, GG.

The other problem is that an on-demand burst which enjoys as much uptime as ours ceases to be on-demand burst and enters into the realm of "your damage depends on this to not be awful."

Solid on-demand burst is Demon Soul, Avenging Wrath, Berserk, Icy Veins, etc. about 15-20 seconds of uptime, followed by a 2-3 minute cooldown. What we got was a variant of Slice & Dice that doesn't get 100% uptime. Maybe it's more like Haunt, but either way, it's crap.

If they wanted to make monk more attractive for pvp, they should've just converted TEB into a real on-demand burst ability (no stupid ramp-up, proper cooldown) and otherwise left the damage alone. (I do agree that Combo Breaker had to go as our mastery, though) As for PvE...my damage went down, but maybe it's probably because I haven't sold out into embracing mastery. 5.2 kind of became my "level the alts" expansion. :/

Even though they claim to have been "too conservative" with monks, they're still guilty of being too conservative. The class needs survivability.

Why not give WW Guard?
Stack expertise, you need at least 6 percent or higher. I know it sounds stupid but the majority of your damage is from white hits, if you miss all the time you may see big hits stacking crit or mastery but your white hits will miss to much especially against other monks , rogues, and Druids. The number one windwalker monk in the world is doing this also if that helps.

Don't get me wrong you still need a strong balance of crit and mastery, my advice is only use resil gems, pvp/resil gems, agi/ resil. And when you reforge reforge all haste to expertise until you are 6 percent or so.

Check out my armory I just did my reforming this morning

And if you read this today (3/17) go to arenajunkies.com and watch the windwalker monk video on the front page, id link but I'm on my iPhone
And one way to compare the expertise of mastery, when I reforged to expertise from mastery, I lost about two percent damage increase with tigers eye, but I gained about 3.5 percent expertise. I tested it out this morning and I killed a 90 rogue with elite gear/ weps in 35 seconds just from auto attacks and only 4 attacks were dodged. I did it before I reforged to expertise and I stopped after about 1 minute and 30 seconds because I couldn't hit him. Granted the rogue was standing still both duels
I like haste for rbgs, I think most arena ww's are stacking mastery though
Im in the same boat (entry pvp) I just kind o ffollowed what I would do a bit for PvE: Expertise/Hit (except for lvl 90 norm) Haste soft and then Crit/Mastery.

I guess my question is gemming; I just came back to the game three weeks ago or so, now Resilience is linear calculation. Would gemming for Resilience be beneficial because I see a lot of people do that.