BS the only prof locked out of new PvP gear?

Professions
Maybe I have this wrong, but blacksmiths are the only armor-crafting profession that are locked out of crafting the new "Crafted Dreadful" ilvl 458 PvP items, right? Why is this?

Have to say, with the low cash flow already associated with blacksmithing, this is salt in the wounds to see cloth and leather 458 crafted PvP gear on the AH and we're stuck twiddling our thumbs while our server works through unlocking Thunder Isle.

What's the rationale behind this?
I'm really hoping they'll move the BS quest out of where it is. At this rate I am going to be in full Malevolent gear before I even get the opportunity to learn a pattern for the Dreadful.
Perhaps it is to compensate for the weapons that BS can craft in 5.2?
You poor poor misinformed player....

All 3 gear crafting professions are discovery based now. I believe LW has the most patterns overall to learn in this fashion also.

You are not alone in your misery.

All 3 gear crafting professions are discovery based now. I believe LW has the most patterns overall to learn in this fashion also.

Smithing's 'locked out' in that they can't start their discoveries yet - theirs is tied to one of the later stages of the island.
i tried to find the new bs crafted gear quest person, and failed. I ran all over available locations on the 5.2 isle and could not find the quest person. Now i see this post that it is blocked, is that true?
I have all tradeskills, and BS is the one left in the cold. It seems there is a storyline for BS in TI, and so they stuck all the BS stuff there, blocked from access (cant have two locations?) It seems the BS pattern locations could be split, leave the Epic patterns in a epic geared location and make the lowly superior gear available to obtain in a location that a *solo* less than superior geared player can get to (if i was geared higher than superior than learning the patterns is just for AH and completist, well maybe other reasons but still - it seems if you need an epic geared raid to unlock superior gear - somethings wrong.)

Comparitively, Tailoring had the discovery mechanism for 5.2 patterns before 5.2 came out, LW got the new discover patterns within about 50 mist kills. BS, i dont know if blocked for everyone, but its blocked for me.

They can't actually discover anything. They're locked out until their server unlocks the later parts of the Thundering Isle of the new daily hub, that's where their research pattern comes from. Not like LW's where it's a regular mop world drop.

Smithing's 'locked out' in that they can't start their discoveries yet - theirs is tied to one of the later stages of the island.

Basically this.

I dont know maybe they could have given Blacksmiths way to make living steel with a CD and we could learn the 5.0 honor gear plans instead.

This.
Yea I've since discovered that my BS can't do anything until the Isle is opened up further.

So i'm also a sad, misinformed fool too...lol

Anyhow, It sucks... Not sure what the purpose of this gating mechanism is for.

New PvP season starts next week right? Not one piece of the new plate gear will even be on the market?

Kinda dumb... Did they even try to explain this logic of theirs?
New PvP season starts next week right? Not one piece of the new plate gear will even be on the market?

Isn't this really only an issue for characters hitting 90 in the next week or two? Existing players should already have as good if not better gear plus the honor saved to buy the new vendor gear which should be better. In the meantime, the 450 gear will still be somewhat in demand and blacksmiths will likely be profiting from the new weapons for a long time.
It does kind of suck that you can't learn the pvp stuff right away but I think one of the reasons they did it this way for Blacksmiths is they were able to get epic patterns before anyone else when MOP came out (Klaxxi rep vs golden lotus).
yea its kinda low on their part =/
Yeah the UNSELLABLE boa weapons bs can craft.
Making the epic weapons requires multiple steps. You make a 463 ilvl weapon which requires 5 soulbound lightning steel ingots. Then you take that weapon and 8 lightning steel ingots and make the next higher ilvl weapon, which is as farther than I got on the PTR - it ended before I got the last couple of bars for the 2nd step. As you complete each step you get the plans for the next higher weapon. You can only make one lightning steel per day, btw.
Yeah the UNSELLABLE boa weapons bs can craft.

The weapons are boe....would be laughable if they didn't allow raid worthy weapons to be sold when it takes 30 days to even make a single one.

03/08/2013 11:05 AMPosted by Nep
they were able to get epic patterns before anyone else when MOP came out

To be able to craft an epic pattern that would actually be considered good enough to use in a raid it took 30 days of lightning steel cds to even make a single one, therefore not even affected other markets.
It also sucks because it locks us out of the 522 patterns as well.
Ive never had any trouble making Blacksmithing pay for itself, in fact on my server its one of the best proffesions in my opinion. That said i do think its a bit unfair that we have to wait, but to have the chance to actually craft an epic tanking weapon that i can actually use since no MOP patterns exist or havent dropped for myself. This is worth the wait, BTW MOP designs for tanking weapons was a joke, really hope these forges make up for that.
It's not about Blacksmithing paying for itself. It's about having mediocre or poor recipes being gated behind a 3-4 week hurdle. And then it's daily discovery based after that... for what reason?

I'm annoyed that i'm forced to wait to discover the patterns for crappy gear.

I have no problem waiting for the craftable weapons. That's reasonable... But the PVP gear. Nope. Just poor planning and lack of foresight.