Moonfarespam: The Moonkin PvE Guide Part 2

Druid
Prev 1 2 3 4 9 Next
03/12/2013 09:38 AMPosted by Galdhael
Pre-pull ->Get 70 energy ready to lead into Lunar

Not a big deal but pre-lunar 75

Pre-Fight: Symbiosis (Lock preferred for the clear casts if no lock DK for magic or if your tanks cant handle your burst hunter misdirect)> Mushrooms> Food> Flask> Mark> AC to 75 prelunar

On the pull: Potion> Starfall> Wrath> LUNAR ECLIPSE

You want to use wrath over starsurge because starsurge is buffed while in lunar eclipse. As well you dont want to cast your DoTs til you have at least NG (which procs upon entering eclipse state). DoTs are now snap shot meaning that upon casting your DoTs they keep the buffs on them til you reapply them. No proc in the meantime will apply to your DoTs so your losing a lot of DPS and crit on your DoTs.

Burst Part 1: LUNAR ECLIPSE> Inc/NV (macro'd)> Sunfire THEN Moonfire> Starsurge (whenever proc'd)> Starfire> Starfall (once the 1st one falls off)> starfire to 0 energy

A few things in the Burst Part 1. Its not a total moss if you dont cast sunfire then moonfire, however we gain a stacking buff called Lunar Shower, I suggest checking it out in our spell book if you dont know what it does. But it only affects our initial hit of our DoT, so its no biggie if you dont bother. If you have a Warlock and he is symbiosis'd make sure you use Undying Resolve here, it allows for clear casting.

Burst Part 2: 0 ENERGY> CA/racial/use profession/use trinket/barksin/moonfire (macro'd)> 3rd starfall (once 2nd one has fallen off)> starsurge (whenever proc'd)> starfire> Reapply Moonfire at 2 sec. left of CA/NV/Inc.> starfire to Solar Eclipse

The first thing here is making sure your macro works. By putting all of this onto one macro your saving a lot of room on your bars, and moreover your doing all of this with one click of a button. You never want to clip your starfall so make sure its off before reapplying it. You want to reapply your DoTs even if they have 7 seconds on them because of the snap shot I was talking about. DO NOT REFRESH THEM TIL THEY COMPLETELY FALL OFF!!!!! That is going to give you more SS procs than just a solar buff.

Let me clarify some things about the above macro: racial is the Berzerking from trolls. Use professions include Engineering, Herbalism, and I believe 1 more thats not coming to mind ATM. Use trinkets, are trinkets you can use ;-p. Lastly barkskin, huge because it gives clearcasting again. You want to make sure your spells arent being slowed. It could mean the difference of a 125k starfire cast or a 200k SS proc...

Eclipsing: So your out of burst... If the boss is near your mushrooms pop them (while in Solar Eclipse: Increased nature damage), otherwise ignore them for the rest of the fight. Go through your eclipse cycles as you normally do, and you will be fine.

One thing I do want to point out though is NV. If your going to take NV (over HotW) keep an eye on it, for when it comes off CD. Its only 90 seconds compared to its previous CD of 3 min. So be aware that unless you use it on CD, your going to miss its use for your larger burst rotation.

You're going to -hate- me saying this though, I observed Zoomkins pushing a prioritizing Intellect gemming -> then crit, though the rest of you are on the crit train. Just something I thought interesting to mention to see if I could glean any thoughts.

Zoomkins has 100 ilvls on us all as well... jk, but he does things that work for him because hes zoomkins.

look at Icy-veins to see if there is anything useful that correlates -> Then I go play with wow.reforge.

All those sites are alright but I gem crit reforge haste/hit. I recommend reforgelite addon its awesome!!!

Another question gear-wise. Do you think I should still be pushing to get the 4-set on LFR? It's either Head or Shoulders for me - (Though I'm using a 491 upgraded last season PvP helm, my shoulders on the other hand are 489).

Yes! if your progressing PvP gear is no good! ToT LFR this week will only drop tier hands so unless your progressing rapidly and your at 522 tier pieces, Yea go into the other LFR and try and get the tier... Hell its practically raining elder charms so why not?

03/12/2013 09:38 AMPosted by Galdhael
I've been popping CA straight up after Lunar ends anyway - should I be holding it off until my last 15 seconds of Incarnation?

No... read what Incarnation does and when it is affected. You will see that it only works in situations where your in an eclipse state, your wasting lots and lots of burst there. Keep the rotation as is. If 3 seconds before your Hero/Lust is still up and your DOTs are about to fall off... then reapply. But thats a "at your own discression" kind of thing.
Was this a typo?

INT/CRIT = Potent = Orange =/= a blue slot

Are you saying that they are ignoring the socket bonus and gemming blue slots with Orange? Did you mean another Purple Gem?

I just wanted clarification.

Yes it was!!! Thanks for the catch on that... early in the morning and no coffee that doesnt help.

I have seen some people gem the int spirit over the int crit, that way they can gem hit and reforge crit.
25N Ji'Kun:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_mUjiGB6XA

25N Durumu:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTiyqkt7waw

Iron Qon and Lei Shen tomorrow/tonight
25N Iron Qon (time of post: still processing)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RNPYRyIISE

Lei Shen coming soon.

Heroic: Jin'rohk - Readied. (Staggering Release)
Heroic: Horridon - Readied. (Staggering Release)

Just so players know, I'm not uploading them all at once because I want YOU to experience the encounter for yourself. I want YOU to think of ways to handle the mechanics. In order to help you improve your play, watching videos is only as good as long as you can relate to the action. If you see me wrecking the adds while standing in fire well "I better not derp like Cyous! He was standing in the not-a-buff fire!"
25H - Jin'rohk the Breaker
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQXx3s2TAFQ

(Lei Shen or w/e was a corrupt file, will not be uploading it sadly :( )

Comments welcome, music opinions - idc, feel free to ask questions
Cyous, I appreciate the videos you have posted here on the Boomkin thread. Even though I raid 10s, it is nice to get an idea of how other Balance Druids approach a given fight and see that approach in action. Seeing your Horridon video, in particular, was great for me when my guild was progressing on him. I saw my dps jump almost 40% after watching your video--needless to say, it was a substantial help to my personal dps.

The main alteration in my playstyle was multi-target dotting. I was not doing it nearly as much as I do now, which leads me to my question: How does a Boomy know when to cast both dots on multiple targets and when to simply cast the eclipsed dot on multiple targets?

For instance, in the Horridon fight, there are waves upon waves of mobs, each with varying amounts of hp. This is very different from a fight such as the Council of Elders, where you have 4 targets that are slowly dps'ed down throughout the entire fight. When do you take the time to apply both dots, and when do you apply only one?

Any response is welcome. Thanks all.

P.S. Additional boss videos are welcome. Googling Boomkin boss videos is excessively hit-and-miss.
Glad to see someone getting use out of my videos.

Multi-DOTing is simple. Eclipsed DOT on all targets, Starsurge on cooldown. Don't push out of Eclipse early, once you make your way to the next Eclipse (no Eclipse buff active), don't bother DOTing anything until you reach the next Eclipse state. That's really it. As for Council, there's the padding strat and the kill-it strat. A rule I stick to is 3 Eclipsed DOTs > 2|2 Dots.
What are people's thoughts on using a starsurge proc to proc Eclipse.

Currently I figure it's not ideal to use Starsurge to proc Solar, because if you saved it to cast in Solar, you'd be casting 1 less wrath. And there's also the fact that Nature's Grace procs instantly when you hit Eclipse, but you can't actually make use of it until the non-NG buffed gcd triggered by the starsurge you used to proc Eclipse ends. So your effective NG uptime is less than it would appear to be. As a rule of thumb, I don't proc Solar with a starsurge proc unless I'm either moving, or I have enough dots up that I'll be flooded with Starsurge procs.

As for proccing Lunar though, at first glance it's not as obvious what the better course of action is. I definitely use it at 60/65 energy, as that would save me the need to cast 2 wraths. In any other situation, though, there's the fact that using it means you do cast 1 less wrath, but you don't have a Eclipsed starsurge, and you lose out on a bit of NG.
Multi-target = yes; single-target = no; it's touch and go
usually when i multi-targ i get SS procs out the wazoo so i dont bother holding back my SS procs, single targ i'll only have one SS on solar eclipse and try and hold my SS procs till i'm out of or 5 energy from being our of solar and i dont usually SS into an eclipse
usually when i multi-targ i get SS procs out the wazoo so i dont bother holding back my SS procs, single targ i'll only have one SS on solar eclipse and try and hold my SS procs till i'm out of or 5 energy from being our of solar and i dont usually SS into an eclipse

Haha yeah it's always this debate in my head on council when I'm bursting at the start. "I want to dot everything before i start chaining starsurges, STAHP SS PROCS, STAHP". It's a hard knock life.
You guys say that generally movement fights HotW shines, right? So why doesn't anyone use it for pvp (besides me)?
The basis around people's claims that movement doesn't favor NV revolves around the fact that you aren't able to execute an ideal rotation while moving, resulting in NV possibly being put to very poor use. Add additional targets, though, and there's tonnes more gcds you can fill with dots/starsurges.
03/23/2013 11:15 AMPosted by Hollistar

Haha yeah it's always this debate in my head on council when I'm bursting at the start. "I want to dot everything before i start chaining starsurges, STAHP SS PROCS, STAHP". It's a hard knock life.

i know that feel, 3+ moonfires/sunfires up and i start getting gcd capped on SS procs :(
You guys say that generally movement fights HotW shines, right? So why doesn't anyone use it for pvp (besides me)?

Depends on the type of movement -- If we're still DOTing up everything, thus movement or no movement, we aren't changing anything, why should it be treated as "movement?"
After CA, is it not best to wrath to head back into Lunar? I saw it mentioned to just "continue toward whichever you are headed toward"... but, after CA, are we not in control of which we are headed toward?

Edit: I just like 4x starfalls, iono, maybe I'm weird.
After CA, is it not best to wrath to head back into Lunar? I saw it mentioned to just "continue toward whichever you are headed toward"... but, after CA, are we not in control of which we are headed toward?

Resetting the Eclipse bar completely, aka talent/glyph swapping or death, only happens after the prior. Once you hit Eclipse you have a direction to follow regardless of CA. If you CA without a direction you will not have a direction to follow once CA is over.

Resetting the Eclipse bar completely, aka talent/glyph swapping or death, only happens after the prior. Once you hit Eclipse you have a direction to follow regardless of CA. If you CA without a direction you will not have a direction to follow once CA is over.

Huh. Maybe I bugged it then, somehow. I've done it a few times since 5.2. (Balance is only my offspec though, and I don't use it often) I'll experiment with how I did it, and report back later.
I know the normal opener for us as chickens, but I read a while ago of an alternate opener that skips a Solar eclipse in order to force more Lunars.

It could only work during Hero/Lust though, and it would need to be single-target.

-75: pre-Lunar, Starfall, Wrath
-100: Lunar, Starfall (when previous ends), Incarnation, Starfire
0: post-Lunar, Incarnation = 20s, Starfire x3
100: Solar, CA
-0: CA, Incarnation = 15s, Starfall, Starfire

There shouldn't be any DPS loss from the cooldowns, as they're all being used together for their full durations. My gripe is that you do completely skip Solar, so any damage from the Solar eclipse is gone. What you gain is being 1/4 of the way further through the eclipse bar, meaning more Lunar phases. I get the feeling that it isn't as awesome as I thought initially, since you lose the Solar damage but keep the pre-Solar/pre-Lunar damage.
Is there a table for haste breakpoints without NG somewhere? Miraculously google isn't turning up anything.