Pet Battle XP Hotfixes

Pet Battles
1 2 3 13 Next
We're in the process of updating the hotfixes blog with the recent changes to Pet Battle XP, but wanted to provide a bit more insight into why the changes were made and how XP is calculated.

• All buffs to player XP (heirlooms, enlightenment, guild bonus etc.) were bugged, these where hotfixed to work as expected.
  • General player XP from pet battles was tuned too high, these numbers have been balanced accordingly.
  • Player experience is granted based on a number of factors. These are player level, number of pet opponents, maximum pet opponent level and the level disparity between opponents pets and your pets.
  • Our philosophy is that player XP from pet battles should be, in general, somewhat slower than normal questing.
Our philosophy is that player XP from pet battles should be, in general, somewhat slower than normal questing.

Fun as it was to get my mage from 34 to 52 last night in just a few hours without leaving the Cathedral District, I'm cool with this. Somewhat slower than questing is a lot faster than the zero I've been operating at the past six months.
Whatever.

While I agree that the pet battling XP was too high (especially at low levels) and that it shouldnt scale with standards and XP Flasks, I have to say I am absolutely disgusted with this nerf. Leveling through pet battles isn't even a freaking option now. You get more xp from leveling via Archeology.

And, I would like to add that it is appalling to me that Blizzard finds it that leveling through archeology or profession grinding should be so much better than farming bot-infested battlegrounds with horrible players. The time and effort required to level via PVP should make it at least on par with questing.

/rant
I do hope this made you guys how annoying it is to level. Some XP reductions 85-90 would be lovely ;_;
After leveling 9 classes 85+ I welcomed this break from the usual quest grind. It's a shame it was nerfed so hard though, it isn't even a considerable alternative now. Went from getting around 40k a pet battle win on my 77 priest to 1.7k.
I enjoyed the opportunity to get a couple bank alts up to mounted level very quickly but your philosophy sounds fair. At least there is a reward now for snatching a quick battle in between quests while leveling similar to node gathering and achi digs.
Common players who want level a new alt need months for this. As a member of 3 guilds I see it and people are not happy that "Player experience is granted based on a number of factors." Players do not interesting to do quests/dungeons etc over and over again, but we have no real choice. For the couple days Pet Battles was fresh air for everyone who do not want to waste their time for quests/dungeons AGAIN.
It was too beautiful to live!

I hope it gave you all enough data to analyze quest flow, to watch where players used this to level to, if they didn't just go all the way to 85 or higher. Anecdotally, my guild used this to skip from 45-60 on a lot of characters, and I'd be very, VERY interested in seeing the metrics of leveling and pet battle participation yesterday versus over all.
you can still level up via pet battles. at level 80 with 3 25 pets vs 22-24 pets in hyjal im getting about a quest of exp per fight. ofc I use a combo pet that can end most of these fights in 1min or less so a quest per minute of exp is still amazing.
You know that the XP granted now is NOWHERE close to being acceptable, right?

A 95% nerf is really uncalled for... The amount of experience I get now, is like one third of a mob kill.
i was enjoying lvling my lock with pet battles, the questing/instance thing was getting old, when i saw the xp i was getting from pet battles, i was glad that they added another lvling route, but now its just a waste of time, i believe the xp was a bit to high,but it should have been brought down to maybe half of what it was, i was getting around 6k at lvl 35 per win, now i get 1100
I agree the experience was too high, but the nerf was overkill...

pet battle experience should be lower than questing... but it shouldn't be lower than archeology...
As I said when the nerf hit, "This is why we can't have nice things." It was a fun alternative that (without the 300% buff from that rare spawn elixir in Dread Wastes) was pre-nerf only a LITTLE faster than dedicated questing.

In fact, the Exp was only a little overtuned... in reality, the increased levelling speed was thanks to the removal of travelling downtime.

A MUCH better solution would've been to leave the exp in a similar situation, but have the pet levels correspond to player levels at a ~5:1 ratio. (ie lv1 pets only give exp on players up to lv5, lv4 pets only to lv20, etc) It wouldn't be much below the level scaling of quests and enemies as it is, but it would force enough open-world travel time to bring the exp rate closer to questing as well as forcing players to sometimes engage open world enemies near pets to battle. As well, the length of the pet battles themselves would have also scaled down the exp speed as you began fighting 2-3 pets at a time.

So instead of a reasonable 20-40% nerf, it got nerfed approximately 95% making it less productive than levelling by Herbalism+Mining. Bots can do that.

The reason I'm upset is that this provided a fun alternative to levelling through the same content in the same way AGAIN. Instead of being nerfed to being slower but viable to break up questing (like occasionally doing a Battleground), it got nerfed into being completely useless. And that's why we can't have nice things.
you can still level up via pet battles. at level 80 with 3 25 pets vs 22-24 pets in hyjal im getting about a quest of exp per fight. ofc I use a combo pet that can end most of these fights in 1min or less so a quest per minute of exp is still amazing.

Hmm... How much of a bar of xp is that on the XP bar?
I am guessing you can get similar experience gain from doing that? Like it as to be around the levels that says under zone levels on the map, right?
Pet battles xp for higher levels 86-89 was balanced. I dont know why you guys nerfed it. Was my first time doing pet battles this whole expansion and I was actually enjoying leveling that way. Now with the way its been nerfed their is literally no point to do it.
We're in the process of updating the [url="http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/8953693/Patch_52_Hotfixes_March_5-3_6_2013"]hotfixes blog[/url] with the recent changes to Pet Battle XP, but wanted to provide a bit more insight into why the changes were made and how XP is calculated.

• All buffs to player XP (heirlooms, enlightenment, guild bonus etc.) were bugged, these where hotfixed to work as expected.
  • General player XP from pet battles was tuned too high, these numbers have been balanced accordingly.
  • Player experience is granted based on a number of factors. These are player level, number of pet opponents, maximum pet opponent level and the level disparity between opponents pets and your pets.
  • Our philosophy is that player XP from pet battles should be, in general, somewhat slower than normal questing.

We need more clarification on this, please (The bolded/underlined/italicized part)...

• I can understand why you would do this, but as someone who is leveling a new Panda Rogue through all the old world content for the billionth time, I find myself not wanting to grind away quests and instances, and I really liked having a new viable Ave for leveling that I wasn't burned on. Even with the Cataclysm changes to the old world, and the quest changes to the BC and Wrath instances...I am burned out doing it again, and I was truly excited about this. As it is somewhat slower than questing in the aspect that a Stable Master is not always nearby and one does not always have bandages for pets available.

At least we get some experience for it, and for that, I thank you guys. :)
    I'm still getting 150-180K per battle right now in Kun Lai with my 88 lock (Only bonus is the faire buff).

While it's not quite as fast as yesterday - I can still finish battles in about 2 minutes - and since pets spawn quite quickly - it's MUCH preferable to questing YET AGAIN through the same zones (Did I mention - worst expac ever for alts :D)

So instead of a reasonable 20-40% nerf, it got nerfed approximately 95% making it less productive than levelling by Herbalism+Mining. Bots can do that.

The reason I'm upset is that this provided a fun alternative to levelling through the same content in the same way AGAIN. Instead of being nerfed to being slower but viable to break up questing (like occasionally doing a Battleground), it got nerfed into being completely useless. And that's why we can't have nice things.

This sums up my feelings exactly.

I guess after all these years I shouldn't be disappointed in Blizzard when they nerf with a chain-saw instead of an axe, but I still am.
    It depends on what you're levelling through. Its gonna suck on a level 1 unless you can fight better pets, but its fine in the 70s and 80s I think. My 74 was still able to get 2% of her level per win in Zul'drak.