Mothers in Azeroth

Story Forum
Prev 1 2 3 14 Next
Marriage seems to be rare in WoW so maybe the mothers are just random people. We have 2 married leaders and a widower, everyone else is rocking the single life.

Not to mention, in both weddings in game something nasty shows up to crash the party.

But to be fair one of those was randomly thrown in and was stupid to begin with. And it wasnt the one with the dwarves.
There's Aegwynn. And Aegwynn was great. Well, before Med'an happened to her.
03/19/2013 12:47 PMPosted by Threeslotbag
I just find it funny not one character has lost their father and has had their mother raise them alone.

These boys were raised by single moms:
Garrosh
Mediv
Me'dan

Medivh was raised by Nielas Aran. Not by Aegwynn.
Well look at most romances and relationships in WoW... whoever is writing these stories much have horrible luck/experience with girls.
03/19/2013 02:53 PMPosted by Kenthil
Marriage seems to be rare in WoW so maybe the mothers are just random people. We have 2 married leaders and a widower, everyone else is rocking the single life.

Not to mention, in both weddings in game something nasty shows up to crash the party.

But to be fair one of those was randomly thrown in and was stupid to begin with. And it wasnt the one with the dwarves.

Thrall's wedding doesn't count. We had to fix him from being torn apart first.

It wasn't that she was angry. It's that she was an angry and stubborn female who ruined the future of Azeroth by claiming immortality and birthing a satan child.

Thrall's wedding doesn't count. We had to fix him from being torn apart first.

I never wanted to slap Metzen harder after doing that stupid Elemental Bonds quest... and it made me wish we could leave him torn apart and then nothing of value would have been lost.

I started the quest just so I could leave him torn apart.
Vereesa is pretty much a single mom now. (Thanks Horde!)

Don't thank us yet. We're still working to make them -orphans-.
"Do you know what it does to you? Hydrogen Cyanide?"

Sorry... that guy is the first thing that popped into my head after reading the title here.
03/19/2013 08:06 PMPosted by Draile

It wasn't that she was angry. It's that she was an angry and stubborn female who ruined the future of Azeroth by claiming immortality and birthing a satan child.

And the whole manipulative keeping the father from seeing the son type t

03/19/2013 08:06 PMPosted by Draile

Ehh? See? Stuff like this is what I was talking about in that earlier thread that I totally forget the name of.

Active woman are punished in the narrative for being active.

Aegwynn? Anti-christ mom. That's another one to add to the list.
"Do you know what it does to you? Hydrogen Cyanide?"

Sorry... that guy is the first thing that popped into my head after reading the title here.

"She sent you after me, knowing you're not ready, knowing you would likely die. Mommy was very bad."

Now you've got me going!
I've not seen the new bond movie.....

I can't take Craig seriously as bond. He lacks everything it means to be bond.
I've not seen the new bond movie.....

I can't take Craig seriously as bond. He lacks everything it means to be bond.

I recommend it. It is a good movie, one of the best Bond movies, in my opinion.

My only complaint, which is more of a nitpick, is that Daniel Craig runs funny. And he runs a lot in this movie.

You should rent it, if you can.
Well look at most romances and relationships in WoW... whoever is writing these stories much have horrible luck/experience with girls.

I think you're assuming a bit much. Authors don't just simply write based on their own experiences, but based on the premise of "what if". I can't speak to what specific reasons the writers have in this regard, but I can say from my viewpoint that Azeroth is not a very forgiving or peaceful world. It's been in one upheaval after another and unfortunately, that means that things don't always turn out for the best. A writer's job is to make you feel something if they can. A spot of empathy or anger or sadness, joy, love, or triumph. Many stories throughout time (fables/fairy tales etc.) revolve around the loss of one parent or another though generally, it's in regard to the loss of a mother. It resonates with people and it fits with the harsh realities that may have been a part of society. It also serves as a catalyst very often for change within the character in question and shapes their very personality or character flaws.

Keep in mind as well that we have a team of people who work on quest and story with a variety of experiences to bring to the table.

It's also worth noting that fathers have died too. Thrall lost both of his parents. Not just his mother.
03/21/2013 01:51 PMPosted by Nethaera

I think you're assuming a bit much. Authors don't just simply write based on their own experiences, but based on the premise of "what if". I can't speak to what specific reasons the writers have in this regard, but I can say from my viewpoint that Azeroth is not a very forgiving or peaceful world. It's been in one upheaval after another and unfortunately, that means that things don't always turn out for the best. A writer's job is to make you feel something if they can. A spot of empathy or anger or sadness, joy, love, or triumph. Many stories throughout time (fables/fairy tales etc.) revolve around the loss of one parent or another though generally, it's in regard to the loss of a mother. It resonates with people and it fits with the harsh realities that may have been a part of society. It also serves as a catalyst very often for change within the character in question and shapes their very personality or character flaws.

Keep in mind as well that we have a team of people who work on quest and story with a variety of experiences to bring to the table.

It's also worth noting that fathers have died too. Thrall lost both of his parents. Not just his mother.

But not one has lost their father and has had their mother raise them. Moira's child will be the first, if he ever gets developed in the Warcraft story line. He is just a baby right now, and WoW won't be around for him to go from baby to adult.

Perhaps in a future Warcraft game, but not in WoW's lifetime.

Pretty much this. In the World of Warcraft no one lives to old age male or female.

There have been some prominent single mothers, but most of the heroes have lost their entire families to the unending wars. It's not a sexist conspiracy, it's a brutal 30 year planet wide war against evil gods.

Also, could argue Garrosh was raised by ladies, and his obsessions with his imagined father figure messed him up.
It's not a sexist conspiracy

No where was I implying that. I was just implying Blizzard should work on developing a mother character and maybe work out their issues with their mommas.
http://www.wowwiki.com/Darcy

Does that count?