255 Limit Question

UI and Macro
I remember a long time ago, they had addons called things like "Super Duper Macro" and such that allowed you to make macros that went beyond the normal 255 but I've heard that those addons are bannable now.

Can anyone confirm for me if these addons that allow you to make Macros longer then 255 Characters are allowed or not anymore.

If you can please provide a source of where you confirmed this. I rather not take chances when it comes to my account.
03/20/2013 05:23 AMPosted by Shoothim
I remember a long time ago, they had addons called things like "Super Duper Macro" and such that allowed you to make macros that went beyond the normal 255 but I've heard that those addons are bannable now.

You heard wrong.

The answer has always been: as long as it doesn't bypass cross faction communication barriers, or spam the servers or the chat channels; if it installs in the addon folder and runs via the game using the in game lua code (aka, it's not a self contained executable) then it is fine. This hasn't changed.

If they didn't want an addon used, they would have just locked the functions that make it possible or just locked out the addon outright. They've done both in the past. AVG and older versions of Gearscore that caused excessive game crashes respectively.
03/20/2013 06:38 AMPosted by Inien

You heard wrong.

The answer has always been: as long as it doesn't bypass cross faction communication barriers, or spam the servers or the chat channels; if it installs in the addon folder and runs via the game using the in game lua code (aka, it's not a self contained executable) then it is fine. This hasn't changed.

If they didn't want an addon used, they would have just locked the functions that make it possible or just locked out the addon outright. They've done both in the past. AVG and older versions of Gearscore that caused excessive game crashes respectively.

Thank you, now to find a said addon that is up to date... which none seem to be.
Super Duper Macro should still work just fine. Nothing really changed in how click branching functions in macros so there isn't really a reason to update it. Just load out of date addons.

Keep in mind. This addon does not magically add more macro space for you than is available default slot wise. If the macro is longer than 255 character, it's just going to chop it up for you into approximately 255 size pieces and take up however many slots it needs for all of it.
The only difference is you can enter your entire script into a single macro and it does the chopping for you.
However it can make unlimited length size macros for you if you call for it with a slash command. You do not see these in default blizz macro menu though there may be a separate similar looking window created by the addon.