Answering All Mage RBG QUESTIONS

Mage
Post Limit:
Prev 1 2 3 6 Next
Fire
- has been nerfed too much, Pyro hits like crap, fireblast doesn't spread LB. Its just broken atm.

Deep Freeze: Bolt v. Lance
- the general consensus is bolt is more dmg and in arenas where u have less guys and more control u can get bolts off. Personally I find that if I put a bolt cast out there in a big fight, I'm asking to get interrupted. Thus I use Lances, but thats prob preference.

Deep Glyph
- I much prefer the unglyphed deep. I use it as Healer CC as much as dmg. the extra second helps a ton. Also helps w/ ninja'ing warriors (above).

Greater Invis
- this is another thing that I do that no one else seems interested in. I LOVE greater invis and I cannot think of a single situation where I've missed Cold Snap in RBGs. Snap is great for arenas, but way underpowered compared to Invis in BGs. Invis just gives so much crazy utility and even some "oh !@#$e" dmg mitigation.
You happen to have a macro that puts ice ward on the target of my current target?
/cast [@targettarget,exists] Ice Ward; Ice Ward
I also feel like fire isn't really working this season.
I'm getting into PvP as a frost mage. What are some tips you can give a new player?
/cast [@targettarget,exists] Ice Ward; Ice Ward

Works! Thanks alot :)
fire is definitely viable in rbgs...idk where it not being viable is coming from. no fire mage in rbgs is going to run living bomb unless they are stupid. just take NT. even with the nerf to pyroblast fire still has a lot of burst and does just fine. its not broken at all and there are high rated rbg mages that play fire
I'm sure u can make it work as Deepnu points out if u are set on playing fire. Personally I just find it harder to control things without my pet.
+rep
I'm getting into PvP as a frost mage. What are some tips you can give a new player?

Work on your focus macros until you can silence and CC a focus targeted healer while dpsing your target. This is the most basic and important thing a new mage needs to master.
I have been using greater invis over snap ever since the cd has been reduced. Imo greater invis trumps snap all day in rbg's.
I do have 1 question tho, Frost bomb or Nether tempest?
The procs from tempest are all over the place, and it also got 30% dmg reduction on players now.

What do you suggest?
There seems to be a lot of misconceptions about the recent magebomb "nerfs". To clarify all the bombs where changed recently with both PVE buffs and offsetting PVP nerfs. The entire change from last season to now is as follows:
- LB / NT: roughly 2% less dmg in PvP
- FB: roughly 5% more dmg in PvP

So the changes were relatively small. I prefer NT because I can spread DMG around allowing my team to swap to a bunch of different targets that get low and finish them off.

I'm really not a fan of Frost Bomb. While I love the burst damage potential I find that in practice most competent teams are able to easily avoid it with a well timed dispell. Healers aren't stupid when u get better teams. They know to look for bomb and get it off. Also it's difficult to get ur target in a nova when the FB hits without using pet nova or deep. Both have longer timers than FB and deep will almost always be dispelled. This is all MAGNIFIED when your are talking about important damage - like on an EFC - when it matters the other team will make it near impossible to crit a FB on thier tank.
'm really not a fan of Frost Bomb. While I love the burst damage potential I find that in practice most competent teams are able to easily avoid it with a well timed dispell. Healers aren't stupid when u get better teams. They know to look for bomb and get it off. Also it's difficult to get ur target in a nova when the FB hits without using pet nova or deep. Both have longer timers than FB and deep will almost always be dispelled. This is all MAGNIFIED when your are talking about important damage - like on an EFC - when it matters the other team will make it near impossible to crit a FB on thier tank.

I completely agree with this in almost all rbg's except 1.

The only situation where I think Frostbomb way outperforms NT is in SSM.

70% AOE slow will keep opponents out of cart rings which in that BG is much more important then getting any kills.
BUMPERS, anyone got new Qs?
I got a question..

For 2 v 2 , I know that Sheep Arena target 1 / sheep arena target 2 are the 2 macros you need to have keybinded for sheeping...

but for battlegrounds you have tons of options. do you use a mouse over sheep macro? What macros maximize the effectiveness of the polymorph?

and key binds in general if you'd be so kind to give your opinion =)
Do you prefer to stealth cap with a Hunter, a Rogue or solo?

In AB, Mines or LM?

Concerning next patch, do you think mages will be used as a "pick the flag up" and pass it to the tank (with AT)?

Cause with the new debuff, I'm pretty sure every team will leave either one or two players back in the base (hunters/rogues/mages).

If that's the case, run Greater Invis (with IB glyph if versus hunter). Go Invis as soon as u enter the base so they dont see u coming, AT on second floor to flag (IB if versus hunter to get the 3 sec immune buff for versus tranq shot), take flag, AT back up and pass flag to FC.

OR

Flag relay teams (thus no need of a tank). E.g. Mage and Druid or Mage and Rogue. (Mage for grabs and relay to sprinter, plus mage can peel).
Oh and fyi, cloak is unchanted!
What armor do you use in RBGs and why?
In what context do you switch armors?