Answering All Mage RBG QUESTIONS

Mage
Prev 1 2 3 4 6 Next
You either change Armors for offensive or defensive. Molten Armor should only be used defensively while frost and mage armor can both be used offensively and defensively.

If using Nether Tempest i suggest you roll Frost Armor and reforge/gem haste so you can get the soft haste cap for your NT ticks. Take into account the Boomy/Spriest aura and your Frost Armor.

Mage Armor is better for Frost Bomb if you can make it explodes (that's the problem). Mage Armor is also good if you are pro at casting NT on frozen targets.

That's my thoughts :)
More of a general question than rbg specific, but how do mages deal with rogues in MoP? I only recently started playing again and rogues give me the most trouble out of the classes.

Usually i'm down to 50% hp before subterfuge and garotte ends, which is then chained into a cloak. If I somehow survive all their cds, they have shuriken toss which does silly damage to me anyway. Any help would be appreciated.
How do you feel about PoM vs Blazing speed? I find that the mobility by BS allows me to save ice block or carry flags if necessary. However I find myself being recommended PoM frequently to increase synergy with deep freezes (bolt vs lance)
RE: Sheeping in RBGs
- Personally I just use a focus sheep macro and direct sheeps. I used to use a sheep set-up off of Battleground targets but I had to click that and hated doing it that way. I don't know a better way to be honest, its not as clean as arena sheeping.

RE: Ninja Capping
- Always solo, a good mage can solo CC cap anything but a pet class. If you send anyone with the mage you're just mucking it up and increasing the chance that they D with 2.

RE: FC'ing next patch.
- Great idea on the mage pick ups, no doubt that will be helpful against Flag Room Turtle teams. I don't think many teams will turtle however. Its too soon to do anything but speculate but I personally still think teams will look to dominate mid rather than leave more than 1 (if that) back in the flag room. From my perspective its just better to kill 2-3 guys in the mid and then TURN N BURN with 2-3 dps when the EFC is coming out.

RE: Armors
- Great Analysis above by Mystikia (thanks for noticing my new cloak fail btw). I just run Frost all the time for my 20.84% NT haste cap. If I could get the haste elsewhere I'd use Mage armor but I don't think its feasible with present gear.

RE: Rogues
Rogues, they truly are the B word... In RBGs I generally take it up the butt from them in 1v1 situations b/c I'm using Imp Invis and you really need Cold Snap to fight a good rogue. [No, you should not use Cold Snap just b/c u can't win 1 matchup, Imp Invis is leaps and bounds better overall for everything else.] Iceblock the opener damage, call for help, dot and run. This thread should help you v. rogues: http://www.arenajunkies.com/topic/237740-suberterfuge-vs-mages/
How do you feel about PoM vs Blazing speed? I find that the mobility by BS allows me to save ice block or carry flags if necessary. However I find myself being recommended PoM frequently to increase synergy with deep freezes (bolt vs lance)

Blazing Speed for all the reasons u noted and much more. Winning RBGs is more about being in the right place at the right time than it is doing a tiny bit more dmg. I don't think its even close between the two. I can't imagine going back to pre-blazing speed days lol.
Are you the same Vexlander from Maelstrom back in the day? Previously male Gnome?
imp invis.... why?
imp invis.... why?

im curious as well...

cold snap is better in just about all situations
i can see the benefits of dropping combat quickly and easily, but it seems very situational.
i guess but as a mage you already have arguably the easiest time of any class peeling out of combat. especially if your running with blazing speed.
Yes I'm vex from Maelstrom :)

Re: Imp Invis
- Snap is great in arenas and terrible in RBGs. Snap's nerfs from the old days til now have removed most of its effectiveness. The only thing it adds in RBGs is a 2nd block within 20 secs and if your positioning is so bad that u need that 2nd block, well you have bigger problems.

- Imp Invis on the other hand is borderline OP. In big fights it functions as a Detargeter for inc bursts and a Mage version of Cheat Death, only unlike block u can keep fighting. Also unlike the Snap/Block functionilty there is no cross CD issue, u can use it without messing up ur next block timer.
- The real Imp Invis benefits come from it basically being a vanish and the utility it gives u in ninja'ing. Where you'd never get into Invis with someone on you, now your gone and the things u can do messing with teams when they don't know whether you'll pop back into a big fight or ninja'ing can just flat out win games. SEE: Prior post re: ninjas
Which glyphs do you find most beneficial in a battleground environment?
Just for comparison I did run with Snap for part of last season and almost never found a time to use it in RBGs. Meanwhile I constantly missed Imp Invis. Even with last season's much harsher timer Invis was better. That said, I wouldn't suggest it in arenas where teams can train u if the want.
I avoid Deep glyph bc I use deep to stop heals as much if not more than on target. With all the other stuns (esp if ur team has a rogue) your more likely to have a DR'd deep on target in all the chaos. The extra second on heal locks is killer.

You MUST use Poly as everyone including u is spreading dots and u still beef to clear em for Polys on heals.

I think Lance is the 2nd strongest after poly and works well with most dot DMG comps.

After that it's interesting, I like Evo for every map except EOTS. Nova is worth looking at and some people love Remove Curse but I'm not convinced.
I avoid Deep glyph bc I use deep to stop heals as much if not more than on target. With all the other stuns (esp if ur team has a rogue) your more likely to have a DR'd deep on target in all the chaos. The extra second on heal locks is killer.

You MUST use Poly as everyone including u is spreading dots and u still beef to clear em for Polys on heals.

I think Lance is the 2nd strongest after poly and works well with most dot DMG comps.

After that it's interesting, I like Evo for every map except EOTS. Nova is worth looking at and some people love Remove Curse but I'm not convinced.

Thanks, those make sense.
idk. for me i find that cold snap is much better than imp invis.

for one i actually need to use it cuz i do find myself getting hard swapped onto sometimes.

secondly i find its a lot better for guarding nodes.

3rd it only removes 2 damage overtime effects and doesn't heal you. I also find it sometimes glitchy like you dont get the invis off type of thing. the 90% reduced damage for 3 seconds is nice but other than that i just dont see it

maybe i just need to try out imp invis some more but from my experiences cold snap is better
It def isn't better for guarding nodes bc rogues will eat u alive w/o snap, but if I'm guarding a node I'm not really guarding it, I'm ninja'ing or fake ninja'ing so I'll have a non 1v1 plan in place.
Obviously if u run different node strats that call for Mage solo D rather than ninja'ing, I'd use snap, at least on those maps.
a lot of times you have to really guard it though. like on AB or EOTS. teams dont always have their rogue guarding just floating for the ninja. you can have someone else guard while your rogues go ham on kids.

even for none node maps tho i feel like cold snap is just better. The heal, the refresh on nova + ice block.

greater invis will get you out of combat about as fast as blinking out or blink + blazing speed will. the invis also breaks pretty easy if you have more than 2 dots on you. which you typically do.
If the other team has a rogue ninja'ing I won't be guarding the base is the bottom line. Some but not many teams are willing to be down a man in the mid fight just for the rogue to have a chance to get a ninja b/c the higher up you go the less likely a player is to give up a ninja w/o either beating the rogue or turtling til help arrives. Meanwhile ur team is outnumbered and equal skill assumed, losing the mid fight.

With that in mind most teams leave the rogue on D and have him surprise ninja (like how I play "defense") but we expect that and never leave my base open opp him so he has a long way to go to get our open base. He'll open at DR or FR (A/H) against our tank about the same time they're getting ninja'd by me at FR/DR (A/H). If the rogue is on D we always have 1 mid guy assigned to immediately sidestep out the mid fight and get his base and another to be prepared to fall back to our undefended.

If the other team is defending with Rogue + Hunter/Guardian I won't be defending/ninja'ing anyway, someone else will and I'll be mid. But if its Rogue + DK/Mage/SP/Prot War I'll be ninja'ing and putting crazy pressure on them to decide b/w mid and the node.

All this takes alot of faith in your teammates to not be tunnelvisioners but, thats half the fun. I don't like ninja'ing with rogues on my team b/c I feel its too easy to defend. They can't CC cap a competent defender and winning the 1v1 takes time most teams won't give them. Mages are superior ninjas atm. Just takes the length of 1 DR if u surprise DK/Prot Wars. Might die with the death of Tanks next season, should be interesting.

You should give Imp Invis a trial run, might be surprised.