New Prot Pally getting out threat by DPS

Paladin
So Im new to tanking. I know the rotations yet my gears is still....Ehhh. I qualify to tank heroics but Im finding that most of the time I get matched with DPS classes that are so superior 80,000 - 100,000 DPS that they are pulling threat constantly. Is it me or is it that there DPS is so high I cant maintain threat at my current gear level?

Thanks
sorry about that........here is my pally tank avatar.
A few tips - I would swap out Glyph of Hammer of the Righteous for Glyph of the Battle Healer and run Seal of Insight, as the extra healing will generate threat.

You can also swap out your level 90 talent for Holy Prism and use a self-targeted macro for it, which helps with trash pulls to boost your threat at the beginning. Don't be afraid to change it around though depending on the fight.

Aside from that, keep gearing up, read the protection sticky at the top of the pally forums for any other advice :)

Sample of the self-targeted prism macro, I use and works just fine.
#showtooltip
/cast [target=yournamehere] Holy Prism
Your expertise is really low, so that's hurting you. But I think the biggest issue is just your low gear. A 437 weapon is not going to hit very hard. Keep gearing up and see how it works out.
Generally I wouldn’t reforge gear under 450, but you may want to give it a try and throw what you can to expertise. The rule I follow (maybe wrong and I am sure I will be corrected) is to reforge your dodge and parry to expertise for now (let shield of righteous work for you, more hits more holy power). I see some critical on your neck piece too that could go to hit. See how that works for you. It’s relatively cheap.
Ill give ideas a shot. I know a lot of it has to do with my gear. I have been trying to run senieros and even tried heroics as Ret just to try and gear up.
Just to note, Expertise has not effect on Holy Prism, Holy Wrath, and Consecration - all of which are great threat builders at the start of a pull, especially in multiple mob situations where threat problems are most likely to arise.

As you are only running heroic 5 man dungeons right now, your expertise cap would be 7.5% which you are not far off of. If you do start running raids, though, the expertise cap is a much more demanding 15% - though it is still not entirely necessary with your current gearing trend.

There are a few different ways to gear as a protection paladin, and reading up on them may be beneficial to you if you are looking to pursue this class further :) Some require different a different skill level than others, but overall none will out perform the other in a general situation - they each have their benefits and drawbacks.

You said you were new to tanking, and continuing to gear for avoidance stats (dodge and parry) is fine, and may be the best way for now until you get a good understanding of class and fight mechanics, in which case a different build may suit you better.
Silly question but it tends to happen a lot, but do you have Righteous Fury on?
I find a lot of tanks have this problem, I actually had to macro salvation to my CDs because I would pull off tanks left and right
03/20/2013 10:16 AMPosted by Sidders
As you are only running heroic 5 man dungeons right now, your expertise cap would be 7.5% which you are not far off of.

Expertise cap for heroic dungeons is 12% actually. 7.5% is the soft cap for raids (which isn't relevant to Prot).
Maki's Mashing Mace from The Arena of Annihilation scenario will be a quick & guaranteed upgrade.
03/20/2013 09:34 AMPosted by Sidders

Simplified:
/cast [@player] Holy Prism
A few tips - I would swap out Glyph of Hammer of the Righteous for Glyph of the Battle Healer and run Seal of Insight, as the extra healing will generate threat.

You can also swap out your level 90 talent for Holy Prism and use a self-targeted macro for it, which helps with trash pulls to boost your threat at the beginning. Don't be afraid to change it around though depending on the fight.

Aside from that, keep gearing up, read the protection sticky at the top of the pally forums for any other advice :)

Sample of the self-targeted prism macro, I use and works just fine.
#showtooltip

on top of this it would be smart to use Glyph of the Alabaster Shield in place of Final Wrath for more damage. Not much to help pally threat besides getting higher ilvl gear. We are still one of the lowest threat tanks in a raid setting, I'm usually on boss full time, while the off tank takes adds. They really screwed us in the AoE department. I feel your pain.
Silly question but it tends to happen a lot, but do you have Righteous Fury on?

Yup
Im also pulling low threat... any help for me?
Remember, you can run the Arena scenario for a free 450 weapon.

EDT: Just remember to solo queue it. Otherwise scenarios are a waste of time
You are now officially my hero. I've wanted a macro that I could cast at self/others without untargeting my current target for a while now. I haven't actively looked for it, just asked friends so I never came across it. Thank you
Just to note, Expertise has not effect on Holy Prism, Holy Wrath, and Consecration - all of which are great threat builders at the start of a pull, especially in multiple mob situations where threat problems are most likely to arise.

But do they use spell hit? If so then they do partially rely on expertise (just wouldn't need to be hard capped). You'd at least need to have 7.5% hit and 7.5% expertise to have 15% spell hit for them not to miss, if they do indeed use spell hit.
So Im new to tanking. I know the rotations yet my gears is still....Ehhh. I qualify to tank heroics but Im finding that most of the time I get matched with DPS classes that are so superior 80,000 - 100,000 DPS that they are pulling threat constantly. Is it me or is it that there DPS is so high I cant maintain threat at my current gear level?

Thanks

I just dinged 90 two nights ago, and spent most of yesterday tanking heroic dungeons (before going holy in LFR last night). My ilevel for tanking started at about 340 and ended at about 350. I had a couple stout dps'ers pull threat off of me, but not too many. When you pull a pack of 5 mobs it's inevitable that a dps with 50 ilevls above you is going to pull threat on something because more than likely, he won't be targeting your target (get used to that). All you can do is be quick on the draw with your taunt/salvation/hand of protection (avenger's shield almost belongs on this list too, since it hits so damn hard). If anything, he should only be pulling one mob off of you. If he's pulling everything off of you, or if he's pulling threat on a single target boss, then you're doing something wrong.

By the end of the day, after all the practice, I had no threat issues. All I can say is maximize using all of your AoE's, and spread your Judgement/Shield of Right (you have the glyph, right?) around on different mobs (don't tunnel just one mob and only let your hammer of the righteous hit the others, that's not enough to hold threat to a high dps player).

By the way, beware the frost dk's who like to spam howling blast as soon as they see your avenger's shield go off... even if there's more than 3 mobs in a pack (meaning they're hitting things with a hard-hitting ability, that you haven't even touched yet). If that happens, just piss him off by giving him hand of protection. That's always fun.
I find the key is to be ready with your various Hands and other abilities. I use Clique to allow me to easily cast Reckoning, Hand of Salvation, and Hand of Protection on various different targets as needed.

It's also a good idea to think about keeping Consecration and/or Holy Wrath off cooldown. If you know that new mobs are on the way (either an incoming patrol, or mobs that will spawn on top of you) don't cast those spells until these mobs are in-range and damageable. It is always, always, always more important to be able to instantly deal at least some damage to a new mob (or a mob you've just lost control of) than to maximize the damage you deal to a mob that is already under your control.