Another Direhorn thread , sorry!

Hunter
I am hoping this is just the intro into new pets of the Dire family. The Direhorn is a worthless pet in PVP or PVE compared to what other pets bring to the table.

I would have rather seen a horn attack that gives a long duration bleed. That would be fun against stealthy classes. Or an pet version of Shattering Blow. That would be amazing and useful in pvp.
Bleed wont happen, could make it the go to pet in PVE (like wolves used to be) especially if all buffs are provided. Shattering blow could have the same issue, although if the cd is similar to shattering throw (druids get it as shattering blow), then it might be safe enough for hunters to get it.
Move over sporebat, youve been replaced as the joke of pets yaaaaaaaaa!!! more useless but better looking ftw :) luv it lol

My group is missing spell haste so I now have to bring a sporebat to our raids. :)
I agree, Direhorns are rather lackluster with how much Hype they breeded pre-patch.. and how long (based on RNG) it took/takes to farm the manual for them... Now if you could mount your pet Direhorn and ride it into battle, then yeah it would be worth it. :P
Blizz deliberately gave the Direhorns a mediocre ability because of it's epic looks. If the Direhorn had a good ability then just about every hunter would be running around with Direhorns all the time.
Maybe even more of a reason for Blizzard to implement universal pet abilities. Making any and every pet skin viable. True customization.

Thank you!!! This guy gets it.

Blizz on the other hand....
Having a pet talent tree to choose certain abilities from, like the ones that we have now, would be nice.

They should keep certain critters labeled exotic and let them have the choice of the unique BM abilities.
03/14/2013 11:39 AMPosted by Melix
Maybe even more of a reason for Blizzard to implement universal pet abilities. Making any and every pet skin viable. True customization.

No he doesn't get it its a pet not a sword. There is no thing as customization of your pet beyond what you train it to do ferocity, tenacity, and cunning. And in all honesty that is how it should be. The special abilities are those which they had before we tamed them and made them our own. This is stupid to be honest some of you will never be pleased with whats given to you. How about be happy they even allowed us to train pets in the first place unlike the warlocks who have to make a contract with a demon who has no love for them and would rip their throat out just as soon look at them.
03/14/2013 03:15 PMPosted by Yoyuki

No he doesn't get it its a pet not a sword. There is no thing as customization of your pet beyond what you train it to do ferocity, tenacity, and cunning. And in all honesty that is how it should be. The special abilities are those which they had before we tamed them and made them our own. This is stupid to be honest some of you will never be pleased with whats given to you. How about be happy they even allowed us to train pets in the first place unlike the warlocks who have to make a contract with a demon who has no love for them and would rip their throat out just as soon look at them.

What if I wanted to train my Direhorn to use ancient hysteria?
IT'S A TANKING PET .....OMG !!!!!!.

seriously, ppl bring tanking pets into LFR.....huntards are huntards.

you give us a bad name derpo's.
your crying over a fn tanking pet .!

What if I wanted to train my Direhorn to use ancient hysteria?

You are not a core hound and have not trained any of your pets in the first place how to use ancient hysteria. your pet knew that ability before he even knew you existed hence why you can't train your direhorn how to use that ability. you are a hunter who has trained yourself to teach your pets how to e tenacity/ferocity/cunning. thats all that was taught to you to teach to them. To put it in better terms trying to teach your dog how to land on his feet from a fall just because your cat can? you know your cat can do it but do you know how it was learned? Nope its a natural part of the cat.
IT'S A TANKING PET .....OMG !!!!!!.

seriously, ppl bring tanking pets into LFR.....huntards are huntards.

you give us a bad name derpo's.
your crying over a fn tanking pet .!

No pets are truly any one role.

I turned my direhorn to ferocity and DPS heroics/LFR with it. It's baseline DPS is the same. My ability to smash my single daily heroic isn't any worse/better on my hunter. In LFR I've never needed to be BM to bring a buff. More importantly, I raid as Survival on my hunter.

So I don't have a nifty ability like a heal/heroism/bres as it is being survival/

Why is an idea thsat would give hunters more flexibility "stupid"? Why should I have to stable my "boon companion" for some garbage spore bat to provide spell haste?

There's is not a single thought in any of your response that offers a valid reason for NOT doing it. Here is what I'm reading, "they had the abilities before you tamed them, so you shouldn't be able to change them." Sounds like a pretty weak excuse.

Blizz has taken steps to make the pets more customizable. The model that Goblinhunter, myself, and many hunters have suggested is the next logical step.

AND make Roar of Sacrifice and Heart of the Phoenix HUNTER abilities. DO IT!!
03/15/2013 12:28 PMPosted by Melix

Why is an idea thsat would give hunters more flexibility "stupid"? Why should I have to stable my "boon companion" for some garbage spore bat to provide spell haste?

There's is not a single thought in any of your response that offers a valid reason for NOT doing it. Here is what I'm reading, "they had the abilities before you tamed them, so you shouldn't be able to change them." Sounds like a pretty weak excuse.

Blizz has taken steps to make the pets more customizable. The model that Goblinhunter, myself, and many hunters have suggested is the next logical step.

AND make Roar of Sacrifice and Heart of the Phoenix HUNTER abilities. DO IT!!

Firstly its its not weak to say that a natural ability that is not trained but genetic to the breed of pet can NOT be trained.

secondly your last statement tells me all you want is more and more nothing else.
I agree it's sadly lacking in actual utility, but what time put in? Go to the isle, kill a few dinomancers, get a book, click it, tame a direhorn, not exactly huge time investment there ;p

It was for me. I had the worst luck :P, it took me about 3 to 4 hours of steady killing before I got mine. Then just for shizz and gigs, I helped a hunter pal farm his and he got it on like the 10th kill...lol
I love my direhorn, the models are awesome, and I can't wait to ride around with my Kirin Tor mount with my matching pet. But I am a bit disappointed in the abilities and how you generally cant use him for a whole lot. I pretty much always use my tiger I hunted down from the paw print trail and one of my spirit beasts (depending on my mood i swap out the models often. lol).
The pet looks awesome, but yeah... the ability sucks...
03/13/2013 02:21 PMPosted by Kathrian
Dino has its place, i think the community put too heavy of expectations on it.

I don't know about you, or anyone else, but I was expecting it to be "situational", not "worthless". The misleading tooltip on the special ability was what made me think this -- "Spell deflect by standing right behind the Direhorn? Cool, but going to be tricky to use effectively.", which is actually "Spell deflect on only the pet, while also stopping its attacks for six seconds? ...How could I even use this? Nothing solo even hits pets with big spells, and it stops damage in PvP...".

If it's going to be like this, it would be nice if it at least provided some buff/debuff in addition. Maybe 5% stats or something, to give MM/SV a pet that can bring it.
03/17/2013 10:16 AMPosted by Yuyn
Dino has its place, i think the community put too heavy of expectations on it.

I don't know about you, or anyone else, but I was expecting it to be "situational", not "worthless". The misleading tooltip on the special ability was what made me think this -- "Spell deflect by standing right behind the Direhorn? Cool, but going to be tricky to use effectively.", which is actually "Spell deflect on only the pet, while also stopping its attacks for six seconds? ...How could I even use this? Nothing solo even hits pets with big spells, and it stops damage in PvP...".

If it's going to be like this, it would be nice if it at least provided some buff/debuff in addition. Maybe 5% stats or something, to give MM/SV a pet that can bring it.

Since its similar to the Rhino it should also have the Rhino's charge ability in addition to the spell deflect. Having those abilities and it being tameable by all specs of hunter would be acceptable especially since you had to grind a special book to be able to tame it.