Race Class Restrictions (Yes again)

General Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5 6 Next
Funny because you renamed Holy Light to Unholy Light. Which is breaking GAME mechanics, not Lore. Also, Aren't Paladins Holy? You couldn't go naming Unholy Presence to Holy Presence. It defeats the purpose. Paladins are indeed, Holy. Forsaken can't be Paladins because they cannot be Holy.

Link some lore for Forsaken Paladins and maybe I'll rethink my stance.

Really? Undead can't be Holy, huh? Funny, I see Undead HOLY Priests all the time.

Not to mention, somewhere there actually IS an Undead Paladin. It was in one of the many other discussions on this very topic. Can't remember his name right off the top of my head, but he IS in the lore.
In lore, they dont exist.

Forsaken Priests CAN use holy magic, they just do not because it causes them extreme pain.

Funny, I see Undead HOLY Priests all the time.

GAME.
MECHANICS.

In lore they mostly utilize shadow magic rather than holy, but still can use holy magic, they just don't because of the pain it causes them.

Being a paladin is all things holy, there isn't any shadow to them that could justify it.
Blood elf druids! make it happen! I would love to be a lynx kitty and a sun bear, and maybe dragonhawk for flightform?
Really? Undead can't be Holy, huh? Funny, I see Undead HOLY Priests all the time.

Not to mention, somewhere there actually IS an Undead Paladin. It was in one of the many other discussions on this very topic. Can't remember his name right off the top of my head, but he IS in the lore.
Did you read my post as to why Forsaken can be Priests? About how they can be Priests because there are good and evil Priests in real life? Or my post that defines a Forsaken HOLY Priest and a Forsaken Paladin? About how the pain is unbearable? Please read someone's post before trying to dispel an opinion.
Blood elf druids! make it happen! I would love to be a lynx kitty and a sun bear, and maybe dragonhawk for flightform?
Blood Elfs despise natural magic. INB4 there's an instance with a Blood Elf Druid. He is simply an extreme herbalist.
Funny because you renamed Holy Light to Unholy Light. Which is breaking GAME mechanics, not Lore. Also, Aren't Paladins Holy? You couldn't go naming Unholy Presence to Holy Presence. It defeats the purpose. Paladins are indeed, Holy. Forsaken can't be Paladins because they cannot be Holy.

Link some lore for Forsaken Paladins and maybe I'll rethink my stance.

Not all Paladins are holy.

Blood Elves don't worship The Light or any other Deity. They siphon their power from the Sunwell, which has been infused with the power of the Naaru.

All the powers of a Paladin with none of the devotion and worship.

And again, Sir Zeliek. He is undead. He is also a Paladin. He uses The Light despite being undead, thus proving that it is possible. Its not a corrupted "unholy" version of The Light. It's the same The Light used by normal living, breathing Human and Dwarf Paladins.

So the precedence for undead Paladins already exists.

As for "pointing out lore", I don't need to. Blizzard can just make some up, like they did with Blood Knights, Worgen Druids, Gnome Priests, and Sunwalkers. It's the wonderful thing about an ongoing story...things can be added or changed at any time.
You should really point your opinions out thoroughly. Makes all this waiting for a response so time consuming.
03/19/2013 09:58 PMPosted by Glosy
Blood Elfs despise natural magic. INB4 there's an instance with a Blood Elf Druid. He is simply an extreme herbalist.

My dreams are crushed..."Bursts into tears"
03/19/2013 10:03 PMPosted by Moredrasia

Lynx Form would be nice. I'd rather Draenei get the Druid bump than any other race.

Don't give up!

If a single Blood Elf can gain Druid powers via an unhealthy love for Herbalism, then there's still hope!

I mean, if Gnomes can seemingly wield the same powers as other races priests via engineering and steampunk technology(and healthy doses of radiation!), then Blood Elves can be Druids, damnit!

Don't give up!

If a single Blood Elf can gain Druid powers via an unhealthy love for Herbalism, then there's still hope!

I mean, if Gnomes can seemingly wield the same powers as other races priests via engineering and steampunk technology(and healthy doses of radiation!), then Blood Elves can be Druids, damnit!

Hooray!! :D
I think that you should also consider the amount of spirituality that comes with every Class. Paladins are number 1, Druids number 2 (if not first).

If a race isn't as spiritual as another, they shouldn't be allowed access to that class. For instance, "Many Forsaken have abandoned religion." Yeah. Paladins are known for their flakiness when it comes to spirituality.
The lore butchering... it burns us, precious....
even before cata i was upset about a few of the race/class combos. the restrictions believe it or not are a big factor in me staying. nonsensical combos kind of kill my experience
http://www.wowwiki.com/Leonid_Barthalomew

Undead Paladin.
I honestly do love the lore in this game, and the flexibility is one of the things I like about it. Apart from that whole thing with Sargeras, most of the retroactive continuity was done fairly elegantly. To those of you who say that it would be ridiculous to invent justifications for individual combinations, "Cataclysm" stands as a point of argument. They didn't just invent justifications. They put minor characters in capital cities before the expansion was even released to foreshadow the combinations. They even made new mounts in the case of the Sunwalkers. Stuff like that can be done with the right motivation, though it isn't always necessary. I will say that making unique Druid forms for each race probably makes the total removal of restrictions seem like a daunting task for the developers. Also, Forsaken Druids would need to be handled somewhat delicately. As a Druid, I must admit that we make double trouble for this proposition.

But I will say this. At this point, I might also mention that I do dabble in role-playing. I generally like to mix it in with other stuff, but I do have a firm respect for the lore. Anyway. There's a certain fallacy that seems rather common among role-players, though it's certainly not restricted to that group.

The races in this game are not hive minds!

"Blood Elfs despise natural magic."

That's like saying that Americans don't like Buddhism. It's obviously not the dominant religion, but it's not hard to find individual Americans who follow that faith. Also, the kind of herbalism that the blood elf guy practiced was definitely a kind of natural magic, though it might not have been related to traditional druidry.

Incidentally, I'm just going to leave this here. It's not really part of my argument, but it is pretty awesome. The only problem that its implementation would bring me would be choice. I can barely decide between werewolves and night elves despite the fact that I always play elves. If I could actually choose, I wouldn't even know where to begin. I'd probably spend $70 on faction changes before the end of the first month.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXMTHae0uVc
I like this list considering you made sure Gnomes got nothing new.
http://www.wowwiki.com/Leonid_Barthalomew

Undead Paladin.

He is a warrior, he just joined the Argent Dawn
Forsaken Holy Priest - Debatable but at the very least they should be harmed by the light that they use
Draenei Death knight - A stretch with what should be a really low population
Draenei Shadow Priest - This should go against everything their race stands for
Foresaken Hunter - I can allow them taming undead things but living animals would not befriend rotting corpses
Human Death knight - Why is this not just Forsaken? I guess just to be fair to the humans.
There are others but you get the idea.

Some race/class combinations that make more sense:
Forsaken Paladin - These are running around everywhere in Icecrown and they even cast avengers shield
Night Elf Paladin - Same reason we have Tauren paladins. Moonwalkers anyone?
Blood Elf Druid - Lore supports this as savagekin
Tauren Mage - Because Taurens are magical
Worgen Paladin - Really strange to me that they couldn't be one if Belfs or Scarlet Crusade can

Forsaken Priests who use the holy light are harmed by it, it burns them with every cast and heal. Every time you heal an undead with the holy light it is like cauterizing a wound, yea you're healed but you hurt a hell of a lot more than you did.

Draenei DK - There should be more, since most DKs were killed in service to the Argent Dawn. And if there is a better Azerothian organization that would draw Draenei I don't know it.

Draenei Spriests - Auchenai priests (The guys in Archindoun obsessed with the shadow side of the Naaru life cycle.)

Forsaken Hunters - Dark Rangers, taming is just a game mechanic. Also you'd be surprised how much dogs love rotting corpses.

Human DKs - Raised almost immediately, so not a lot of visual rot too place. Unlike Forsaken who were raised as ghouls and zombies first before regaining their freedom.

Forsaken Pallys - Their entire existence would be hellfire. They would destroy themselves almost immediately unless a very powerful necromancer *cough* Kel'thuzad *cough* kept them together.

Night Elf pallys - There is actually no problem with this IF they were Elune based and wielded a white light instead of a golden one.

Blood Elf droods - Again, no problem here as long as it is shown that they are magisters using nature rather than actual druids asking of nature. They do show up in lore as the guys who turned the Amani forests into Eversong woods.

Tauren magi - No, Tauren don't believe in forcing the elements. Conjuring a fireball would be seen as twisting the elemental spirit of flame against it's will. I can't think of a better anti tauren class except warlocks. Mostly since they are just super magi.

Worgen pallys - Paladins among the eastern Alliance comes from one place, Northshire Abby. That is where the order started, and where the initiates were trained. When they were fielded in the war against the Orcs they stomped them. However soon after the war ended (Second war mind you) Gilneas shut itself off from the world, so they never had the chance to learn.
And all worgen players are survivors from Gilneas which is why they (and Goblins with Kezan) cannot get anymore class combos. That area, like the Lost Isles is time locked.
To be honest I don't know why there were any Dwarf paladins, aside from maybe cultural osmosis.
03/20/2013 06:39 AMPosted by Oin
3. Humans should def be dks. Considering the first one was human, and many are human

Actually, the first Death Knight was Teron Gorefiend, an Orc. The first Death Knights were created by Gul'dan.

Back before the release of 3.0, I was a strong proponent (and still am) for limiting the Death Knight class to humans or orcs. Unfortunately Blizzard doesn't seem to care about their own lore any more.

The soul was Gorefiend's. the body was a human Paladin.

Forsaken Pallys - Their entire existence would be hellfire. They would destroy themselves almost immediately unless a very powerful necromancer *cough* Kel'thuzad *cough* kept them together.

Sir Zeliek. Undead Paladin. The precedence for undead Paladins already exists. It's not outside the realm of possibility that there are others like him.

Alternately, Forsaken that retain their memories and faith, they still worship The Light, and though the use of The Light causes them pain, they see it as penance for what they have become. They treat the pain as a sort of cleansing flame, they learn to rise above it and allow The Light to fill them with its Holy radiance.

See? Bam. Lore. Now all Blizzard has to do is write it in a novel(by Knaak!) and it will be canon!

As I've stated in a previous post, Blizzard writes the Lore. They can add and change things however they want. If they want Forsaken Paladins, then by Samwise's Beard, THEY'LL MAKE FORSAKEN PALADINS!

Worgen pallys - Paladins among the eastern Alliance comes from one place, Northshire Abby. That is where the order started, and where the initiates were trained. When they were fielded in the war against the Orcs they stomped them. However soon after the war ended (Second war mind you) Gilneas shut itself off from the world, so they never had the chance to learn.
And all worgen players are survivors from Gilneas which is why they (and Goblins with Kezan) cannot get anymore class combos. That area, like the Lost Isles is time locked.
To be honest I don't know why there were any Dwarf paladins, aside from maybe cultural osmosis.

Dwarves learned of the Holy Light from humans and became devout followers in that religion. Some were so devout that they were inducted into the Silver Hand.

It's not out of the realm of possibility that other races could turn to The Light and become devout followers, or even warriors, as well.