dont vote kick ret healers....

Paladin
1 2 3 10 Next
Ok this is mainly a rant. Ive done at least 50 or 60 runs as ret heals and still get vote kicked by the retard who wont give it a chance. Anyone else have this experience? 30 minute debuff for a vote kick is ridiculous. 1 in 10 runs I get vote kicked before the first pull. By the end of the other 9 dungeons half the group wants to reroll to be able to ret heal too.
I have dual spec but healing as ret makes the dungeon 100% faster. Also I've never tried ret tanking but I have tanked in ret gear and it is a nice dps boost. Doing crazy things is what makes playing a hybrid fun. I'm gonna try to Ret spec with a shield and see how far I get with prot talents.

To other ret paladins: Get Battle Healer glyph, Holy Prism, Selfless Healer and Clemency, then go enjoy your insta ques. Just remember healing is your first priority and don't make a bad name for this tactic.
muahahhhahahahaa
I would kick you in an instant.
Ef the nay sayers. When paly healers are retr in 5mans it's a fast run, and entertaining. It takes a lot to think outside the box apparently.
The only thing Ret-healing for 5 man fails at is consistent dispelling. Other than that, it's completely viable, unless you're grouped with a bunch of !@#$% who stand in ^-*!.

I would kick you in an instant.

Good thing you pvp mostly
You know, I've Ret healed a bunch of instances and no one even notices until the end :(

03/20/2013 12:33 AMPosted by Holymez
The only thing Ret-healing for 5 man fails at is consistent dispelling.

Eh, I've never had that issue. Same as Holy. What sucks for a Ret healer is healing when there are no mobs to hit. I let people who stand in stupid die, no matter what my spec is.
Ret healing uh? Sounds interesting. How do you gear for it? What your priority system looks like? How do you deal with tanks almost dying (while LoH is on cd) and how much dps you can pull as ret healer?

I find it quite boring healing 5mans as holy. Safe, but boring.
Ok, hold up, wait a minute. On the surface I'd kick you too. You're trying to play a spec you aren't geared for? I mean I know ret has some healing ability but...

I'm curious. Get beneath the surface and explain this to me. How does it work? It sounds like it could make ret more viable if this is something that is sustainable. Sounds almost like a healing version of a shockadin.
03/20/2013 05:17 AMPosted by Nimaj
How does it work?

Glyph of Battle Healer and the occasional FoL from Selfless Healer. While certainly possible in a heroic, there's such a good probability that the tank is undergeared/bad that it may not work anyway.

It's the kind of thing that's best kept to a premade, or partially premade, group. Pugs tend to be so prone to stupidity that they can't afford to chance it.
Ret healing uh? Sounds interesting. How do you gear for it? What your priority system looks like? How do you deal with tanks almost dying (while LoH is on cd) and how much dps you can pull as ret healer?

I find it quite boring healing 5mans as holy. Safe, but boring.

You gear for kicking teeth in.

Priority is the same as if you were straight DPS, with focus on keeping people alive. Glyph of the Battle Healer is mandatory. Selfless healer, Clemency, Divine Purpose, and Holy Prism are what I use to make the green numbers. I'm sure other people have different talent preferences.

For tanks on a death spiral you would use Hand of Sacrifice and hopefully a full stack SH FoL. Divine Purpose works just as well as it does for Holy. Holy Prism can hit pretty hard... err heal pretty hard. Usually I use it for 'aoe' heals, but you can target the tank and pewpew him in the face with green laser.

I've yet to have anyone touch my damage during burst, as one would expect really. Obviously, without Seal of Truth and DP procs occasionally going to heals DPS is nowhere near what it can be. I'll throw out a number out of my @ss for you. I'm losing about 20% DPS with my build.

It works damn well. What it does not do is keep an undergeared tank alive. This is a 'heal' spec that punishes bad teammates. If someone dies, that's fine since we're rolling 4 DPS anyway :D

It's the kind of thing that's best kept to a premade, or partially premade, group. Pugs tend to be so prone to stupidity that they can't afford to chance it.
I vote-kick anyone trying to manipulate the queue system by signing up for a role that their spec isn't designed for. It's not a question of them being incapable of fulfilling the role, as I'm well aware that many classes can easily substitute for roles as printed. No, it's more just the irritation over the numerous times I've seen people do it and fail spectacularly at the attempt, damning us to another long queue when they ultimately drop/get kicked. I inwardly hope that every time I kick some queue-circumventing dink trying that, that it'll be the last time they try it and I've made random queueing a better place for us all.
You kinda make anyone Ret healing sound like an A-hole. Manipulation and circumventing and whatnot.

How is that any different from someone rolling as any role, in 'proper' gear and play, and them failing horribly at it? FYI, it isn't.

In fact, it's more disappointing to see a tank suck at tanking or a healer suck at healing, because they chose to specialize for those things. If anyone is manipulating anyone, it's those A-holes.
There are a few things that really peeve me.

• Hunters that refuse to turn off growl
  • Warlocks that refuse to turn off threatening presence
  • DPS that think they are helping by attacking the one target that I don’t have within striking distance
  • DPS that think tanks love their knockback abilities
  • But most of all a DPS that select a role they are not spec’d for.

I wait up to forty minutes on my mage at times for a que. In fact mages, warlocks, hunters and rouges only have one choice when que’ing.

I never vote kick a DPS, because I feel their pain waiting for a long que. A deceptive healer I have no problem kicking.

Yes, I have seen ret paladins tank an instance. I have seen shadow priests and feral druids heal etc... These were all done in emergencies and mid-way through an instance. Heck I have even seen an enhancement shaman tank.

That being said, from what I have read, sure it possible to be an effective ret healer I suppose. But most will see you as just someone who has beat the system for a quick que. That will not sit well with most and you should expect to be kicked.
As a Dps main, Tank second my list of things that PO's me is.

>Tank thinking then should be in dps spec
>Healing thinking they should be in dps spec
>Dps thinking they are helping when they go tank or heal spec to help out.
>People who Q for hero to test a hybrid spec
>People who Q as a spec they are not so they get in first
You know, I've Ret healed a bunch of instances and no one even notices until the end :(

The only thing Ret-healing for 5 man fails at is consistent dispelling.

Eh, I've never had that issue. Same as Holy. What sucks for a Ret healer is healing when there are no mobs to hit. I let people who stand in stupid die, no matter what my spec is.
Errgh, I meant for encounters like...the last boss in Jade Serpent Shrine or whatever, where you need to dispell often otherwise you'll wipe due to the damage.
Ultimately it doesn't matter who queues as long as the job gets done, preferably quickly.

If people would rather wait forever for a bad tank or a bad healer than run with a competent ret filling either of those roles, they are foolish and deserve whatever fail may come.

It's silly that players are so desperate for control that they would kick a good player doing a good job just because they're doing it in an unorthodox way.

Call me crazy, but i would rather spend 5 extra min in Q and get a dedicated tank/healer. If you want to tank off spec tank, if heals off spec heals. There is NO reason you should be in Q as heals or tank when in ret spec.