Totems now get resilience

Shaman
Seriously?

No discussion on a huge buff to the class (that wasn't in patch notes btw), but hackneyed topics such as "allow shaman tanks" and "make 2h enhance viable" are instantly replied to and discussed ad infinitum.

Perhaps I was wrong and there's only trolls and whiners on the shaman forums.

Granted not so much of a buff as a long overdue mechanic update (when did pets get resilience?) but still has the same effect.

Anyways... for 1 thing it makes Primal elementalist a much more attractive talent in pvp as the main complaint against it was that your totem would get 1 shot. It makes the 10% hp totems like stone bulwark, HTT, and MTT much more useful as they have a much better chance of staying out. etc etc

Discuss
03/19/2013 08:24 AMPosted by Bipst
. for 1 thing it makes Primal elementalist a much more attractive talent in pvp

still no.

dont think its that big of a change... 5hp with 65% resil is still pathetic. 40k (with glyph) will still get one shot.. just by special attacks and not white hits..
. for 1 thing it makes Primal elementalist a much more attractive talent in pvp

still no.

dont think its that big of a change... 5hp with 65% resil is still pathetic. 40k (with glyph) will still get one shot.. just by special attacks and not white hits..

Aw but jkspiritlink, the fire elemental totem has a base health of 154k.

Totemic vigor only adds 5% not 10%. So 20k health bonus to 5 hp totems. Really just prevents them from being poked by dps or destroyed by healers in a reasonable amount of time.

Anyways, it is a big deal on totems that have 10% of your hp (15% with glyph). And especially on the elemental totems that have more than that.

Edit: Just realized you weren't talking about the fire elemental totem when you said 5hp totems. My b.
Most people don't know about this change and will actually hit the totems once or twice and think they've killed it when totems such as the Tide totems, or glyphed link will still be alive.
Totemic vigor only adds 5% not 10%. So 20k health bonus to 5 hp totems. Really just prevents them from being poked by dps or destroyed by healers in a reasonable amount of time.

oh

good. so basically pennance will still one shot totems.

or glyphed link will still be alive.

SLT i want dead as fast as possible. after the first second when it redistributes health i want it dead as fast as possible to make as much use of totemic restoration. i'd rather SLT every 90seconds than 10% damage reduction
good. so basically pennance will still one shot totems.

Much rather make someone have to use an ability like pennance to kill them (cd ability) than to use a SW:P to kill them. Even smite (which is instant cast now right?) wont kill a 20k hp totem in one shot.
SLT i want dead as fast as possible. after the first second when it redistributes health i want it dead as fast as possible to make as much use of totemic restoration. i'd rather SLT every 90seconds than 10% damage reduction

As to this...

You cant reduce the totem to 90 seconds since totemic restoration makes totems act as if they were out a minimum of 1 second.

So best you can do is 1 minute 45 seconds.

Destroying it early you also give up the continued health distribution wich is much better than just the 10% damage reduction the totem gives.

I'll give you that situationally dropping the CD on it can be great, but it shouldnt be your aim every time you use it to just redistribut your health and ignore that it lasts 6 seconds.

Same with tremor totem for that matter. I facepalm everytime i destroy my tremor totem when i realize it was a psyfiend that feared me.
I play Warrior. I have so many stacks of overpower, that I just wreck totems. And since I play Shaman I know just where to hit them.

They need to be really strong to have low health. And most are. Deal with dispels.

Irony? You can purge others but others cannot purge you with attacks?

Sounds like you are not thinking in a fair manner. Things are fine.
I play Warrior. I have so many stacks of overpower, that I just wreck totems. And since I play Shaman I know just where to hit them.

They need to be really strong to have low health. And most are. Deal with dispels.

What?

What?

His hobby is making incoherent and antagonistic posts. You could ignore him, but I personally think he's entertaining in a beer hat sort of way.
If that Glyph were not a Major glyph this would be good news.
Can't see the Glyph being worth the slot even with this change.

WOW! That is ironic. I play a warrior too, and I love overpowering totems from behind.
You cant reduce the totem to 90 seconds since totemic restoration makes totems act as if they were out a minimum of 1 second.

right..... i'd forgotten about that

Destroying it early you also give up the continued health distribution wich is much better than just the 10% damage reduction the totem gives.

I'll give you that situationally dropping the CD on it can be great, but it shouldnt be your aim every time you use it to just redistribut your health and ignore that it lasts 6 seconds.

doesnt really matter unless you take continued burst, which can happen, but then you are really digging your team its own grave.

best use of SLT is to take 1 person from near dead to ~70%

if everyone remains in the SLT, then you just drain HP from everybody. can change from having 3 people at 70% to 3 people at 40% pretty easily... especially if you're playing against a comp that already does high cleave damage, frost / unholy dk, fire mages, boomkins, etc.

Same with tremor totem for that matter. I facepalm everytime i destroy my tremor totem when i realize it was a psyfiend that feared me.

yeah. i dont have many problems avoiding psyfiend fears, and now its supposedly "fixed" so that it wont fear the same target twice so this should be even less of an issue.
if everyone remains in the SLT, then you just drain HP from everybody. can change from having 3 people at 70% to 3 people at 40% pretty easily... especially if you're playing against a comp that already does high cleave damage, frost / unholy dk, fire mages, boomkins, etc.

Quite strong against any class that has weak cleave but really strong single target burst and you dont have to worry about aoe disables. Spriest comes to mind.

yeah. i dont have many problems avoiding psyfiend fears, and now its supposedly "fixed" so that it wont fear the same target twice so this should be even less of an issue.

Didn't realize that was a bug. Good to know.

Also good to leave tremor down in random bg's against warlocks. Mezmerize spam can wreck you and people generally dont try to kill the pets or help out their healers at all. You get wind shear, then grounding, but after that you better hope that warlock doesnt leave it on you when you range it or you'll eat a 14 second mezmerize spam when you run back in. At least with seduction you could ghost wolf to be immune.

Even if it doesn't target you, dispelling mez gets old real fast. More just a gripe with random BG's i suppose, but can still be helpful in those situations.

Anyways back on topic...

At ~60k hp (with glyph) and at ~65% resilience, i think we can agree that even a disc priest isnt going to destroy HTT before its done its job. Even a dps willl have to use more than 1 ability to kill it. If a dps diverts his attention to kill it, you effectively just gave yourself a 60k hp shield that will heal for at least 2 ticks and probably more than that.

Before I saw videos where the pros would 1 shot it after 1 tick. Probably a rare case, but still a really significant buff. Especially for somthing that wasnt even mentioned in patch notes.
03/20/2013 11:21 AMPosted by Bipst
i think we can agree that even a disc priest isnt going to destroy HTT before its done its job. Even a dps willl have to use more than 1 ability to kill it.

disc pennance does like 15-20k per orb fired... one full pennace should kill HTT even with TV glyph..

for dps, 60k with 65% resil.... thats one FoF ice lance, one mind blast, one KM proc from a dk... i mean, yeah its good for getting that mage to waste an FOF ice lance on a totem instead of on you, but if enemies want the totem dead, its dead.

you effectively just gave yourself a 60k hp shield that will heal for at least 2 ticks and probably more than that.

imo, the better thing is to just totemic project important totems out of range or LoS. particularly on dal sewers ill throw totems down on the bottom level against melee. if they want to kill the totem, they remove themselves from combat.

and totems heal and buff out of LoS which is good against anyone. MTT thrown behind boxes is great.
imo, the better thing is to just totemic project important totems out of range or LoS. particularly on dal sewers ill throw totems down on the bottom level against melee. if they want to kill the totem, they remove themselves from combat.

and totems heal and buff out of LoS which is good against anyone. MTT thrown behind boxes is great.

Ideally you'd want to place them out of los even without projection.

Projection just makes placing them out in the open a non-issue. Giving up restoration to be able to do that though, even against non-caster teams, isnt really worth it imo, especially since you cant project your totems if you're stunned/silenced/disabled.
glyph slots are already crowded, especially as elemental. Vigor like many other glyphs have the potential to just baseline.