Enchanting questions

Professions
I finally decided to change my go-to professions when I am leveling alts. Until recently I trained all my alts on mining and herbalism during the leveling process. I thought the two gathering professions would make the most sense while leveling.

I realized that I ended up wasting a lot of time mining and picking herbs during questing. I decided to try skinning and enchanting as leveling professions (professions to pick while leveling alts).

My reasons:

1 - I am a melee class so most mobs die at my feet. It makes skinning easy because I don't have to run to the mob.

2 - enchanting allows me to disenchant all the quest rewards that are bind on pickup.

My questions:

1 - I have been leveling enchanting by disenchanting quest rewards and other drops. I am at 52 now. Is it true that disenchanting will give me skill points only up to 75? After 75 I would need to craft?

2 - Is it worth to craft just enough so I can disenchant higher level items? If I do that I would have to spend material that would otherwise be sold in the AH. Bottom line, will the profits from disenchanting higher level drops and quest rewards outweight the cost of leveling enchanting so I can disenchant those items?

Thanks.
Bottom line, will the profits from disenchanting higher level drops and quest rewards outweight the cost of leveling enchanting so I can disenchant those items?

Ultimately @ 600 ? Yes.

But not before then. Note most sub 90 mats are depressed severely because of dungeon disenchanting to below the cost of production.
03/11/2013 03:56 PMPosted by Mate
Bottom line, will the profits from disenchanting higher level drops and quest rewards outweight the cost of leveling enchanting so I can disenchant those items?

Ultimately @ 600 ? Yes.

But not before then. Note most sub 90 mats are depressed severely because of dungeon disenchanting to below the cost of production.

Please note that I am not going to keep the profession. This is only a profession I picked while I am leveling an alt.

So let me give one example and rephrase the question:

My enchanting is at level 75. I just got a quest reward that requires level 100 to disenchant. Is it worth to level my enchanting to 100 so I can disenchant this and other quest rewards? Or the cost to level to 100 outweights the profit I can get from disenchanting the BOP items?

The only reason why I would level my enchanting is so I can disenchant BOP items I will get while leveling this alt. Once I reach level cap I would drop enchanting and pick another profession.

Thanks.
Is Profit from disenchanting bind on pickup items (drops + quest rewards) > cost of mats
Why in the world would you drop enchanting at level cap? Do you have several other enchanters? I made several thousand gold over the weekend selling vellums. --And these were just the trainer taught ones like "Glorious Stats", "Pandaren Step," and "Windsong." There's a lot of gold to be made in enchanting.

It might not be the top profession for gold right now but it's always in the "Big Four" (along with JC/Inscription/Alchemy). You can consistantly sell many types of scrolls for more than the cost of the mats. Add in BOA specialty enchants and you've got a pretty good business model that generates more than it costs once you get above level 300 or so.

Edit to add:

I have three enchanters at 600 enchanting and three others with at least 300. It's a good profession with nice end game perks. Unless you only PVP I'd keep it.
03/11/2013 05:47 PMPosted by Higeki
Why in the world would you drop enchanting at level cap?

I do have another enchanter. I picked up enchanting on this alt just as a leveling profession so I could disenchant BOP items I pick while leveling him.

Until recently I had mining and herbalism as my leveling professions (professions I pick while questing and leveling an alt). The reason was because I thought I could mine and pick herbs while questing in the world. Those are great professions for that.

However I realized that I was wasting time mining and picking herbs. That is why I changed to skinning (the mobs die at my feet and I can skin them) and enchanting so I could disenchant BOP items I pick up while questing/leveling.

So my question is if it is worth to level my enchanter so he can disenchant BOP items or it will be more expensive to do so.

Thanks.
Then I guess "that depends on your server." I normally level mining/herbalism on alts as well so that I can powerlevel their professions. The exceptions for me are also my enchanters since I want to d/e quest rewards but I do it to keep leveling. I've never seen anyone ask the question you are asking.

Using www.theunderminejournal.com might be able to tell you if it's worth it on your server based on the economy and sales of materials.

My basic answer is "I don't know" and I do usually have a clue. Good luck.
03/11/2013 08:31 PMPosted by Higeki
Using www.theunderminejournal.com might be able to tell you if it's worth it on your server based on the economy and sales of materials.

Great idea. I will try to get a rough estimate on how much it will cost to level enchanting and how much I can sell the mats I get when disenchanting higher level BOP weapons and armor.

Another related question that will help me decide - is it possible to level enchanting only by using the mats I get from disenchanting quest rewards? Or will I have to buy additional mats from the AH?

Thanks.