Being A Jerk is An Important Part Of Gaming?

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 4 20 Next
I'll get banned? Eh, you know what, my account was hacked. That wasn't me who said those mean things about blizz. Must have been some guy who was mad about me, the greatest player in the world, killing him in game in such a humiliating way that he wanted to kill himself in real life, but he decided to get some small revenge first. To that guy: whatever bro, it's not like I have nothing else to do.

...Right.

Because death threats against the devs make you cool.

Enjoy the holiday.

I'll get banned? Eh, you know what, my account was hacked. That wasn't me who said those mean things about blizz. Must have been some guy who was mad about me, the greatest player in the world, killing him in game in such a humiliating way that he wanted to kill himself in real life, but he decided to get some small revenge first. To that guy: whatever bro, it's not like I have nothing else to do.

To quote Billy Connelly "a big boy did it and ran away! It was nay me!" And Blizzard can't track this supposed hacking?

A huh. Hope the holiday's a long one.
Yes, otherwise the top guilds in all mmorpg wouldn't exist.
Being a jerk is an important part of life.

But in the context of this discussion about gaming?

I blame the fact that most hardcore gamers are scrawny children who don't exercise. And thus, have pent up energy and frustration because of a lack of physical exhaustion and an over abundance of mental exhaustion.

I see the same thing in my dog whenever I can't take her for a walk.
old baseball saying: "nice guys finish last"

A nice person who becomes mean to finish first is an awful person.

Because death threats against the devs make you cool.

Enjoy the holiday.

You're a special kind of moron, aren't you?
You guys are just a bunch of betas ganging up on the alphas who steal your girlfriends after pwning you because being strong and virile is "wrong"

Uhhh, a girl that dumps a guy to be with the guy that 'pwns' the first guy isn't a girl worth having.

Secondly, being strong and virile isn't a bad thing. However it's very poorly demonstrated via video games.
Secondly, being strong and virile isn't a bad thing. However it's very poorly demonstrated via video games.

Wait, you're telling me I've been dong it wrong all these years?
It's funny. Why waste an opportunity for laughs? Why are you pissing on our parade? Because you are a soft marshmallow who can't take a joke? You guys are just a bunch of betas ganging up on the alphas who steal your girlfriends after pwning you because being strong and virile is "wrong". And if sometimes the devs side with you guys because they feel sorry for you that your feelings are constantly hurt it is because they are betas too and deserve to be gassed to death. Just like all the blizz devs do for not letting allies talk to the horde.

what??? fat bold gamers are anything but alphas.... =P
03/17/2013 07:44 PMPosted by Karat

Wait, you're telling me I've been dong it wrong all these years?

Sad to say, but yes.
03/17/2013 07:32 PMPosted by Krônuson
Yes, otherwise the top guilds in all mmorpg wouldn't exist.

Sad and pitiful (a little bit of a generalization here but it's only in the context of your statement)! What you are directly implying is that bullying is necessary in game-culture. That is sad indeed.

Indeed it is sad, but it is how things work in the best gaming guilds around the internet. Lots of abusive language, humiliation and what not.

Remember i'm talking about the best of the best guilds, not good or very good ones. I'm talking about those who are the best in ther servers, in the best servers only.
I reasonably believe these people were always jerks. They just can express it due to the fact there is no repercussions for such negative attitudes. Say the things they say in game in real life and someone will smack them up side the head.

Yes! Physical violence is the best anti-jerk tool available. Unfortunately, since we are safely sitting at a computer away from any immediate harm this tool is unavailable thus allowing jerks to run rampant under anomonity.
What I find particularly funny is when these jerks come out with the 'it's just a persona' defense. No. It's not. It's an exaggeration of normal behavior because society as a whole, thrives on such 'controversy' and ...well, garbage.
TL/DR: What do you think? Is being a jerk an important part of gaming? Or should companies/communities/organizations continue to take steps to enforce a minimum standard of behaviour?

IMHO, people tend to act like this because they can't do the same in real life... I would bet if you meet this people face to face, their real personality would be far too different from this "character" roleplay in this virtual world :)

I think it's alright for companies to have some kind of regulation, because people acting like jerks will damage their business. If the community of the game is full of jerks like this, new players will not have a good experience... They will probably leave and bring that bad experience to other potential players.
The internet, and games being a vessel kept afloat by it, is often used, in my opinion, as a device outside of reality. Used as a device by individuals to behave badly with an unlimited license. The ability to be mostly anonymous, if one so chooses, is a huge draw and often makes people gravitate towards this kind of behavior. Good or bad, it's there and some people like to take advantage of this. If people thought of the internet as an extension of reality and treated it as such(such as behaving as they would publicly) there would be less issues. Streaming with a cam is not being in public.
Indeed it is sad, but it is how things work in the best gaming guilds around the internet. Lots of abusive language, humiliation and what not.Remember i'm talking about the best of the best guilds, not good or very good ones. I'm talking about those who are the best in ther servers, in the best servers only.

Really?

From what I've seen, it's mostly the US ones that are like that. I raided with a very strong guild on EU (Rise) and knew people who raided top 100. They were seldom abusive or obnoxious.

Is it an American thing?
03/17/2013 08:01 PMPosted by Furÿ
Indeed it is sad, but it is how things work in the best gaming guilds around the internet. Lots of abusive language, humiliation and what not.Remember i'm talking about the best of the best guilds, not good or very good ones. I'm talking about those who are the best in ther servers, in the best servers only.

Really?

From what I've seen, it's mostly the US ones that are like that. I raided with a very strong guild on EU (Rise) and knew people who raided top 100. They were seldom abusive or obnoxious.

Is it an American thing?

I don't think so. I think it's a popularity thing. People CRAVE celebrity. particularly offensive celebrity (think Jackass, and the current crop of 'insult comedy' comedians). Somewhere along the line people in general have accepted it's ok to be a jerk and worse, it's even better to celebritize these jerks instead of shunning them.
I reasonably believe these people were always jerks. They just can express it due to the fact there is no repercussions for such negative attitudes. Say the things they say in game in real life and someone will smack them up side the head.

I agree with this 100% and must admit that I sometimes have fantasies about being able to teleport through people's computer screens but...

Yes! Physical violence is the best anti-jerk tool available. Unfortunately, since we are safely sitting at a computer away from any immediate harm this tool is unavailable thus allowing jerks to run rampant under anomonity.

Not really. Then you just end up with 'the guy who is willing to use violence to get their way can do what he wants'.

The best anti-jerk tool available is to make rules/laws that prevent it from getting out of control. Or - in the context of videogames - introduce moderation.

Being a jerk is an important part of life. But in the context of this discussion about gaming? I blame the fact that most hardcore gamers are scrawny children who don't exercise. And thus, have pent up energy and frustration because of a lack of physical exhaustion and an over abundance of mental exhaustion. I see the same thing in my dog whenever I can't take her for a walk.

I don't get it.