Why do all "fun" items have such long CDs?

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 9 Next
Much of the time, 'fun' items are nerfed to prevent an exploit of one sort or another.

Cheaters are why you can't have nice things. Well, they're still pretty nice, just not as often.

what about http://www.wowhead.com/item=86591? Come on, 2 hours?
I miss not having a repair bill :(
Much of the time, 'fun' items are nerfed to prevent an exploit of one sort or another.

Cheaters are why you can't have nice things. Well, they're still pretty nice, just not as often.

How are some of the fun Archy items exploited? Most of them have ridiculously long CDs.

Tell me, what exploit is there to be found in being able to punt my marmot more then once every 10 minutes?

Sometimes I have rage from a terrible LF(insert letter) and need to vent and that little rodent would work excellent if I could punt it more then once!
So what is the 'cheat' that is being exploited by using Ra'sha's Dagger?

I don't think Bones of Transformation can be used for exploiting... it's supposed to be a fun item, a reward for doing archeology, but it only lasts a few seconds and has a humongous CD O, O
So what is the 'cheat' that is being exploited by using Ra'sha's Dagger?

people were killing themselves to avoid repair bills from being killed by something else...

some priests were also using it to trigger spirit of redemption on demand (coupled with battleres)...

this one was totally justified...
people were killing themselves to avoid repair bills from being killed by something else...

some priests were also using it to trigger spirit of redemption on demand (coupled with battleres)...

this one was totally justified...

Make the dagger not useable in combat.
03/19/2013 05:40 PMPosted by Quessan
Tell me, what exploit is there to be found in being able to punt my marmot more then once every 10 minutes?

Wasn't this one a rage building thing with warriors or some such?
Could just make it not useable in combat.

And what about Mr. Smite's Brass Compass? Wheres the abuse in that only that it makes you a larger than normal Tauren? I could understand a 30 minute or even an hour cooldown for that costume with a 10 min timer.. but 2 Hours? Really?

And what about things like Ken-Ken's Mask or Totem of Harmony? 1 minute duration with a 20 min cooldown for the mask and a 1 hour cooldown for the totem?

Heck I have yet to see a nerf to Party Grenade? People seem to be having WAY too much fun griefing others with that than they do all the other items you've previously nerfed too much.
I think he was speeking specifically about the dagger.

For the past day or so I have not used the "C" word but thinking this along the lines of "creative use of game mechanics. I wonder now that it is a cheat, if action is going to be taken against people.

Why do some of the fun items in Pandaria then? My marmot, the banana etc..all it does is sit there and look shiny.

Please explain why Druids can't use 99% of these "fun" items in shapeshift forms.

Yes, and let me tell you what in reality happens to all these FUN items.

I look at the CD, and then I chuck it cause it sucks.

Your fun items suck blizzard, they suck, they suck cause your CDs suck all the fun out of them.

Blizzard seriously needs to figure out what it wants to do with fun items cause all they do is collect DUST! we end up using them ONCE, and never ever again.

Is that seriously the intended goal?!?!

What about the Gin-Ji Knife Set?
The only "cheat" or "exploit" i can think of with this dagger is that it doesn't cause durability. So, if they want us to not abuse that aspect of it, make it cost durability and put the CD back at 5 minutes.

OR, add something in every single fight in a raid, where you can wipe nearly instantly. There are some fights where something goes wrong, but it takes way too long to wipe because there isn't enough raid damage or something, and the dagger was nice for that.
While I'm not going to wail and gnash my teeth like some posters, I have to agree that some fun items do seem a little.... frugal in the time their effects last, their cooldowns, or both.

For me, probably the most miserable example is the Banana Infused Rum. It's from a very hard to obtain recipe that requires a huge amount of materials (2.5 days' farming just to get enough Witchberries for ONE!). In the end you turn into a monkey pirate for 30 seconds. 2.5 days' farming for 30 seconds. But to make it worse, you're frozen in place. You can't run, or dance or jump. And your screen is so hazy you can barely appreciate what you've turned into.

While I can understand the concern about exploits with some items, surely something this expensive and restrictive isn't intended? As much as it's cool to be a monkey pirate, I know I would never bother making this recipe again.
03/19/2013 05:44 PMPosted by Mdarkskull

False, it did not trigger Spirit of Redemption.

As for people using it to avoid repair bills, couldn't the item have been changed to cause durability damage?