Guardians in PvP (RBGs)

Druid
How are Guardians in PvP? I know they got buffed quite a bit in 5.2 but was it enough to make them viable? I mostly see Warrior/DK FCs so I'm not sure about their viability.

Also, how do Guardians gem for PvP? Straight up resilience? Resilence and the normal PvE stat priorities? PvP Power for the bonus healing?

Does anybody know of any good Guardian FCs?
Id like to know as well. im currently tossing the idea around for some then ne :)
I haven't gotten to do anything other than casual random BGs and some premades, but my PvP gear for Guardian/Feral is enchanted for Mastery, gemmed for Power/Resil, then matery and agility. Dodge doesn't seem to do me much good, and since more Mastery means more armor and physical damage reduction, I think it's worth it. Plus, on BGs where there's no need immediate need to be a bear (AB and EotS come to mind), I can still go Kitty spec and do well.

That all said: PvP is my offspec, so even those this is okay and good for me, it might not be for more serious PvPers
Well I've actually been trying Resil>Power and trying to meet most socket bonuses because they're mostly resilience ones. The way I figure, Power increases the healing of Hybrids so it's better to get a little bit more healing and gem for Power than lose a socket bonus by gemming straight up resilience.

That being said I've tried the PvE stat priorities for reforging and I'm pretty sure they work for PvP. While I have less Armor from Mastery I'm finding myself able to nearly spam rage abilities because I'm building so much of it. With the Feral/Guardian 4-piece bonus it improves rage generation even further.

While the heal I get (around 60k) from Frenzied Regen is nice the 45% dodge from Savage Defense is just insane when you've got melee on you. The only reason I think Mastery could possibly pull ahead would be because you can't dodge while stunned or if the target is behind you. Even if that's the case though, being able to heal myself for 60k every 2-3 seconds is pretty good.

You also have to remember Guardians benefit 50% more from Crit/Haste, so there's that.
It's fun as b@lls and viable as a mofo. They are highly sought after so far in 5.2. Like another dude said any tank can technically FC but some are just more mobile (therefore better) than others.

But it is super fun for sure. Give it a shot. Just make sure you're going crazy on the resil gems and chanting everything with stam for maximum survivability. We also make very strong node guards because we can sit in kitty stealth and pewpew all comers then switch to bear and easily live long enough for backup to arrive.

Fun stuff for sure.
I'm having a good time.

Things to look out for.
1. Pesky rogues chasing you down. They can apply slows faster than you can shift out of them.
2. Prepare to be bored. You can spin flags and stay alive but you WILL be guarding the lonely node.
3. Get good at running flags with no backup in Randoms.
4. Use and prepare the Bearhug one-shot macro. Alone it does nothing but it's burst is very helpful in burning down a healer or something.
guardian/warr is mostly what you see in the high end of rbgs...straight resil and reforge like you would for kitty pvp, so mastery is most important, crit, and hit/exp pvp caps so you don't miss something important.

main thing your team needs to realize though is that they have to be pushing the enemy fc before you reach 4 stacks, b/c that's where a guardian's true strengths diminish. although the displacer beast change is nice for fcing now :)
for fcing in real RBGs given unlimited conq points, get a second set gemmed 100% for the maximum possible resilience, and enchant for the maximum possible resilience and stamina

ideally you should be doing nothing except making sure that you're positioned and geared to be the most durable (and obviously mobile) possible

resilience is by far the best stat for that

PvP power's hybrid healing bonus is far too small to worry about, and your healing is very minimal anyway
what is this burst bear hug macro? I am very curious.

Also, an I getting this right.............gem all stam and resil??

resil > Stam?

Lastly which PvP trinkets are best?
Resil and stam ...yes yes yes (I know I have an Agi/resil gem for the bonus PvP power, go figure /shrug) and you might want to reforge mastery.

bearhug macro is around somewhere in the forums. search, you'll find it.
Thanks and which Trinkets? Well 2nd trinket
If you are going to be using a bearhug macro, you will want the Malevolent Gladiator's Emblem of Tenacity.

I usually use the passive trinkets ...but for the macro you kinda need all the health boosting you can get.
/use (horde or alliance) battlestandard
/use pvp health trinket
/use might of ursoc (glyphed if you big burst)
/use bear hug

Obviously correct the parts there for yourself, but yiu get the idea.

Also, I like to throw in wild charge before bear hug to ensure my target is stationary and I am in melee range as it can only be cast while you are not moving.
Does anybody have any definitive stat priorities for Guardians in PvP? While I understand Resil is the most important stat I'm still debating Crit vs Mastery. The reason is because while Mastery provides a flat damage reduction it only reduces one damage type; physical. While taking spell damage Mastery isn't effecting you in the slightest bit.

Crit however increases your rage regeneration pretty substantially and with the Glyph of Frenzied Regeneration allows you to keep up the +40% healing taken buff more frequently. Crit also increases your damage done and while this isn't a main concern of a tank, having more damage is never a bad thing if it has no effect on survivability.

Does anybody have any definitive numbers in higher level RBGs or are the priorities far too close to call one better than the other?
It seems you're asking questions that are defined by play style and team comp.

While yes, there is a lot of caster action in RBG ...would I reforge crit over mastery, not at all.

Those 2 warlocks will stand on the ledge and blow me up with Chaos bolts if I have 8 stacks of debuff.
Will the minor amount of healing save the game if my team is in a position that I'm going to die long before theirs will? Not likely.

If I'm taking a beatdown from a rogue, feral, warrior or DK, will all that extra armor significantly raise my chance of survival? yes
03/20/2013 10:26 AMPosted by Empowerments
Crit however increases your rage regeneration pretty substantially and with the Glyph of Frenzied Regeneration allows you to keep up the +40% healing taken buff more frequently. Crit also increases your damage done and while this isn't a main concern of a tank, having more damage is never a bad thing if it has no effect on survivability.

I'm most interested to know if crit is worth taking for increased rage for regular frenzied regeneration.

I don't see a reason to take the glyph since it removes the self heal. If you are by yourself it seems you may be screwed. Is this correct?
03/20/2013 06:54 PMPosted by Goldenclaw

I'm most interested to know if crit is worth taking for increased rage for regular frenzied regeneration.

I don't see a reason to take the glyph since it removes the self heal. If you are by yourself it seems you may be screwed. Is this correct?

Tanks are never by themselves in RBGs except when it's a guarantee cap.

As for the first question guardian is perfectly viable right now. It's better than everything except prot warriors which will always reign supreme.
03/20/2013 07:27 PMPosted by Loreonguy
Tanks are never by themselves in RBGs except when it's a guarantee cap.

FC gets flag by himself, he could run into a rogue or mage.

FC can be by himself if all healers are pulled for desperation push or some other scenario.
03/20/2013 06:54 PMPosted by Goldenclaw

But the thing about the self-heal is not only is it weak because Tanks don't get vengeance in PvP but with Mortal Strike effects you'll be doing significantly less healing. A +40% buff to all healing done to you will effectively negate Mortal Strike effects completely (or at least close).

Yes I agree if you're alone you're in a bit of a bad spot but you have to remember that every druid has a talented heal of some sort that allows them to heal in Bear Form. Also, it's very very rare to be without a healer of any kind in an RBG and even if you are you still have Savage Defense to use instead.

I've actually been in quite a few situations where the other team is bursting down the tanks (FCs) really hard and the healers are pumping out 500k healing in just a few seconds. Increase that healing by 40% and you've got 700k healing for the same mana cost and time frame as 500k healing.

I'm not necessarily saying that Crit > Mastery because I'm not really sure, but I do know RBGs can get bursty sometimes and having that extra 40% healing can be a game changer.