Why am I not able to keep up anymore?

Shaman
Pre-5.2, I was doing decently for healing, able to keep up with the rest of them easily enough and sometimes able to surpass. I figured I was in a good spot. But now with 5.2, I'm starting to find myself unable to keep up with the others now. I'm getting destroyed by a Druid and Paladin, them able to do like 50K HPS consistently where I am down below with below 30K. And this is still when I'm doing things like Healing Rain when grouped up, Healing Tide and more. What happened exactly?
I've tightening things up a bit with the help of Mr Robot, my Spirit's gone up a bit but my mana regen isn't that much of a problem, not when I have these trinkets shooting things up to insane amounts. The only positive I have is that I seem to be regenerating mana much better than the others, but that still doesn't make sense why my overall healing is so much worse. The last Recount on the Council fight in ToT shows the Paladin at 71K HPS, the Druid at 61K HPS and myself at a measly 36K HPS. Granted, they're both at 504 iLvl while I'm stil 497 since they had time to upgrade items to 497 or 504, but my stats are on par with theirs, Spirit, Intellect, Mana Regen, Combat Regen, Spell Power and such, so it's not like I'm trailing behind that way.

Unless I'm missing something, I'm finding myself getting cut off before my heals can go out. Maybe they're using addons that react faster than my reflexes do, but when I try to get a HW or GHW out to a target, he gets healed to max a split second before mine finishes. I can't be sure, though...
The reason why you would be displaying lower on the meters is because your heals are being sniped by shields and hots. I wouldn't worry too much, just make you maximise your output during hight aoe phases and keep your hot up for those that will take damage as best you can. If you take improved unleash life you can buff your riptide up a fair bit and keep it rolling on the Mt with earth shield.
Healing meters are never worth worrying too much about in my opinion.

If people are alive and bosses aren't, you're doing ok. There's much more helpful stats to look at in discecting a healer anyway.

Overhealing for instance, is a nice one to examine. Who did they overheal? When? You can use these to try and understand if the healers are working together or smashing heals on the same ppl.

Cool down usage is another one...all more important than straight up throughput as a statistic.

Again, if bosses is dying don't be cryin. baby.
Well, I'd like to share your sense of optimism, but not everyone in the raid agrees with you. One asked that I "pick my heals up" because of those numbers. I'm trying my usual best but it seems more like I'm getting sniped a lot as Shocks said.
If your raid lead told you to pick up heals, point him in the direction of more than just HPS meters. If someone NOT the raid lead told you to pick up heals, let him die somewhere on trash.
One asked that I "pick my heals up" because of those numbers

Are people dying?
Not anymore than usual that involves trying to progress through a raid fight, which is a lot until we can get the pattern down and make it farmable. Granted, those sandtraps are among the worst people die to at times, myself included when they appear in the middle of a Frostbite group-up.
This tier is not as resto friendly less a few fights as it was last tier. It is why your HPS has gone down.

edit: use your WW totem for sandtraps.
Luckily, I do use it. Helps a lot, and when it's on cooldown I'll cleanse the debuff root.
Hello Pharaa, I've taken a look at your character, reforge/gems ect. While some of the responses given back to you are correct, I have a few things that I might suggest to help you.

you have more mastery and haste then you probably need. Most of the shaman guides worth reading state a mastery point of 50% is a good % to aim for. You seem to be doing mostly LFR's and a few normal modes.

In the days of Cata crit raiting was never considered valuable compared to the other secondary stats. In MoP however crit affects our heals in many ways. I won't go into the details on the subject of crit and throughput, but I would suggest reforging all haste and excess mastery in to crit and and gem the yellow sockets for Spirit/Crit.

I can tell you from my experience that as my crit went up so did my HPS. Mastery is great when you need it, but if your raid stays topped all the time, it's all wasted.

As a reference try to follow this as most important to least in terms of stats.

Spirit until you are comfortable with mana regen, 1st haste breakpoint (which you already have hit) Mastery to 50%, then crit crit crit..

I hope this helps you, take care.

Also, while ToT has lots of spread healing, remember that resto shaman are all about their CD's, you need to line up your CD's with the big incoming burst damage. Elemental mastery got a slight buff in the 1.5 min CD. I would take that and line it up with ascendance/healing tide/HR ect.
I have been healing with my resto shaman for a while now and with the new patch 5.2 that has come out i am utterly outraged with the healing numbers as far as output goes. i know that we are mainly raid healers but i remember in bwd when i was a main tank healer for quite a few fights. i am around 500 ilvl and im going oom and not able to keep up with the healing numbers in TOT. im adv around 35 and 40k hps in encounters where pallys and priests are at 60k adv. we have some of the best raid cd's but healing stream totem place and forget has gone away. and our single target heals are just plain weak or to mana coustly. i try not to even chain heal now because its not worth the mana. in 10 mans i cannot use healing rain for most of the fights because everyone is spread out. i can go on complaining but something needs to be done. make HST a place and forget or give us less cast time on some of our longer heals or something. i am getting by passesd and kicked out of tot raids because my healing # are to low. (an i know that its not a #'s game with healers its if everyone can stay alive but when people die because they stand in aoe for to long they blame it on the healers). i love healing and i love being a shammy please give us something to compete with priests and pallys throughput in 5.2 so i can go back to having fun healing and not having people pissed at me bacasue im not pulling good enough numbers. does anyone else feel this way?
(note i play my class very well. its not an experiance thing why i cant keep up. its a shaman nurf that is killing me)

i posted this to another thread but im glad someone else feels the same way that i do
Well, I decided to change things up by dropping my Mastery down to 50% and increasing the Crit, and we'll see how it goes. Hopefully I can hone my reflexes enough to be able to heal before they can, too...
I'm still having issues compared to the other two. I don't know what else to do, I'm getting like 40K to 45K consistently while they soar to 60K to 70K. I just can't figure out why they're doing so much better than I am. I can only think of two things that could be wrong:

1. I still need better gear from HoF and ToES to replace the LFR gear I have

or

2. I am not using addons that they're using, and they're going to such heights because of it. I don't use any "helper" addons so maybe my reflexes can't match the addons they use.
Some addons can really help at increasing your response times as the base UI offers fairly limited information. Here is the current UI that I use and I would highly recommend a healer based unit frames replacement. There are a few out there but I have found to do best with Healbot.

http://i.imgur.com/BXZ3L0c.jpg
It's from 3 healing a fight. If you want to see your numbers increase dramatically (which is all your raid seems to care about) then have one of the other healers go dps and what your number double.

Or you could use the fact that you have 2 good healers as an excuse to go DPS. It's what I'm doing.
Well, I'd like to share your sense of optimism, but not everyone in the raid agrees with you. One asked that I "pick my heals up" because of those numbers. I'm trying my usual best but it seems more like I'm getting sniped a lot as Shocks said.

There is no such thing as an IWIN number when it comes to healing. Healing is all about teamwork. Big numbers in healing mean nothing.

Well those people need to be reminded: HPS is not dps. I really, really hate it when people think HPS= the be all end all number because it depends on some things:

1. The fight.
2. The damage coming in.
3. How many healers you have.
4. Misc things you may be doing (dispel duty, etc)

If you have to repeat it 85 times- then do it. I had this same type of convo back during tier 11. I basically reminded them: "This isn't my main, but I've done as much research on the class as I can. I'll happily go back to play my hunter, but you were the ones asking me to heal."

I also went in and went into exact details on what our weaknesses were. Never got harassed about it again.

There is only so much you can do against those classes.

Shaman mastery/healing:

You are a reactive healer. It is completely useless for you to throw out a heal on someone that's been HOT'd up and up to full by the time you get that heal off. Shaman excel on burst damage- that's what our mastery is best at. That's what our big cool downs (HTT, Ascendance, SLT) and our heals are designed for.

I would also tell them to look at the overheals- because I bet that is where most of your healing is going at this point.

Refer them here if you have to.
I am not using addons that they're using, and they're going to such heights because of it. I don't use any "helper" addons so maybe my reflexes can't match the addons they use.

"Helper" addons are tools that will help you out. They aren't cheating. They are a tool.

My vuhdo set up (from memory):

Left click: riptide, right click: healing wave, middle up scroll: HR, Middle down scroll: CH, middle click: HS

Shifts: Left click: Unleash elements, right click: GHW, scroll up: ES, scroll down: WS

Ctrl: Left click: Cleanse

I found it easier to macro similar totem cool downs together and use my WoW mouse for those.
03/20/2013 10:54 PMPosted by Shøcks
If you take improved unleash life you can buff your riptide up a fair bit

Unleashed Fury only buffs the initial (tiny) heal of riptide. Not the hot. So it's basically the worst spell to use it on.

Also, UF is just plain terrible when compared to an on-demand +10% healing buff for one minute every 2.5 minutes (average) which can be used during high dmg phases.

Also, I'd be amazed if at least half of your UFs didn't go to waste. Terrible talent imo.
Healing is all about teamwork. Big numbers in healing mean nothing.

I could not have said it better myself. As a healer, you are not in a competition. You need to work with your other healers, and even your tanks, to find the best system possible. You sound like you have done the research, and you know what you have to do. If your guild is still not backing you up, I would recommend finding another guild. Remember that this game is supposed to be fun. Don't let people joy take that away from you.