How different would it be if alliance got.

Story Forum
Post Limit:
Prev 1 2 3 5 Next
No, they'd be ignored just like they're going to be ignored after MoP.
That was never their "designed role". Please don't make things up.

Their purpose is to lead the mortal races of the Alliance into battle with the Burning Legion via the Army of the Light that they are building with the help of the Naaru. Maybe not "designed role", they were designed to fill in the gap for the next Alliance race, but that is their purpose. To be neutral.

They're only with the Alliance now because, well, we really don't know why. Because they just are and they wouldn't fit in well with the Horde because Draenei have concepts like common decency and respect for others.
Yeah they did. They wanted to find out what happened to the army they sent there.

My apologies, allow me to correct myself.

The Alliance had no reason to go beyond Hellfire Peninsula. Everything thereafter had no affect on the Alliance, as Outland was not their world, and the Draenei were allies of the Horde as much as they were to the Alliance.

That was never their "designed role". Please don't make things up.

Yeah, okay.
Pandaren wouldn't fit in BC too well, but they do fit really well as an Alliance race.

Although, I would have really liked to see how an Outlands race would have turned out, namely the Arakkoa. Sure, they're also a fairly fresh race concept, but they wouldn't have required a retconning of previous Lore to implement, and you could still make them the Paladin/Shaman race that would be part of the Alliance. That, and they could have still had the interesting story hook of harboring a grudge against the Orcs. (Like that one Arakkoa in BotDP.)

They could have even fulfilled the image of an Alliance race by being given a more proud and regal design, reminiscent of eagles maybe.

The only problem would be implementing them into the old world, and I think they could have still went with the whole Azuremyst angle with helping the Furbolgs and then being recruited into the Alliance due to common goals.

Don't take any of this the wrong way, though, since it's just speculation on my part. For better or worst we have the Draenei now and I honestly appreciate them, hopefully they'll get the same amount of love that Blizzard has given to races like Blood Elves.
03/21/2013 09:12 AMPosted by Vegdrasil
And guess what? Next expac is a Horde expansion too, the same expac Draenei are supposedly going to be getting boatloads of lore.
Is this just you being overly pessimistic, or do you genuinely believe that the next-to-nothing information we have about the expansion actually points to it being somehow Horde-centric?

Well, to be fair, it's not really got much choice.

The Alliance is being turned into a single thing, with one guy at the helm, and they are going to be "closer than ever". We already lack story because the Alliance races are to close.

MoP is definitely Horde centric. The Horde rebelling and all that. The entire story is about how it's splitting. The best they could come up with Alliance side is "Yeah, lets make the other leaders useless so Varian can lead".

They are removing what little cracks the Alliance has. That results in a boring story. The Horde on the other hand? Great story there after the fall. Rebuilding the horde, working with people you don't like to maintain peace.

So yeah, it's possible that the expansion won't be horde focused.

It's just doubtful unless the Alliance fractures on how to deal with the Horde at the end of the expansion, which leaves us with the problem of the story being a rip off of WC2.

Though to be fair, kinda already is. I mean, the big bad Horde that can crush the Alliance if only it wasn't fracturing?.

Sort of the same thing happening here.

As for Panda in the BC, I don't think it would work.

Not only would they look silly in the graphics department due to the quality blizzard could do at the time, but they don't really fit the theme of BC.
Although, I would have really liked to see how an Outlands race would have turned out, namely the Arakkoa. Sure, they're also a fairly fresh race concept, but they wouldn't have required a retconning of previous Lore to implement, and you could still make them the Paladin/Shaman race that would be part of the Alliance. That, and they could have still had the interesting story hook of harboring a grudge against the Orcs. (Like that one Arakkoa in BotDP.)

...I completely forgot about this.

What the hell happened to Grizzik? He would have been an awesome Racial Leader.
Is this just you being overly pessimistic, or do you genuinely believe that the next-to-nothing information we have about the expansion actually points to it being somehow Horde-centric?

I missed this post.

I'm just going off of what we know of the progression of WoW's expacs over the last 8 years.

Vanilla was "Alliance" -> BC was Horde -> WOTLK was "Alliance" -> Cata was HORDE, WITH CAPITAL LETTERS -> MOP is Alliance -> ??? is Horde.

03/21/2013 10:38 AMPosted by Ferlion
Though to be fair, kinda already is. I mean, the big bad Horde that can crush the Alliance if only it wasn't fracturing?.

To be fair, in WC2 the Alliance was only losing because Quel'thalas and Gilneas didn't send aid quickly enough, and Alterac betrayed them all.
03/21/2013 10:54 AMPosted by Mordstreich
MOP is Alliance

Eh, I kinda don't believe this.

With all the complaining going on it seems like the factions are rather equal this expansion.
It boggles my mind to think Pandaren were considered for the Alliance in the first place, considering their Shamanistic culture and the events with Chen Stormstout.
03/21/2013 10:58 AMPosted by Pyronaptor
considering their Shamanistic culture

Dwarf shamans were allied with the Alliance for a long time.

and the events with Chen Stormstout.

He's just one guy.
03/21/2013 10:58 AMPosted by Pyronaptor
It boggles my mind to think Pandaren were considered for the Alliance in the first place, considering their Shamanistic culture

I forgot they could be Shaman.

Seriously, are there any Panda Shaman in MoP?

events with Chen Stormstout.

Tirion must be Horde then???
Say whatever you want, it would be a middle finger to Horde players who wanted to fight alongside Chen again after WC3.

I think what they did with them in MoP was the optimal solution.
It boggles my mind to think Pandaren were considered for the Alliance in the first place, considering their Shamanistic culture and the events with Chen Stormstout.

The RPG books back then had some Lore tidbits that related the Pandaren more with the Alliance than Horde.

Also, Chen Stormstout was about as much Horde as Jaina was during the events of Daelin's death. He didn't exactly seem very chummy with the Horde in that one PoP chapter, either.
Say whatever you want, it would be a middle finger to Horde players who wanted to fight alongside Chen again after WC3.

Blood Elves.

I think what they did with them in MoP was the optimal solution.

Horde Pandas on Pandaria are actively participating in the subjugation and conquering of their ancestral homeland :V
03/21/2013 11:03 AMPosted by Siast
Blood Elves.

I don't agree with that either.

Yeah it'd be awful if Blizzard gave the Horde the middle finger.
Doesn't matter. Draenei are Draenei whether they're Alliance or not.

And the Alliance expedition wasn't "abandoned". They spent the entire expansion keeping the Burning Legion from invading Azeroth to ensure the sun would rise again. The whole idea behind the story was that we, as players, were the few who got through the front line and onto the other side.

I meant to storyline of the Alliance Expedition was abandoned in TBC. It can hardly be considered lore for the Alliance when over 70% of the race you play is portrayed as neutral.

Aside from some stiff in HFP, there's nothing of the Alliance Expedition. Allerian Stronghold is there but no Alleria, it's staffed by a bunch of high elves (who should really have green eyes by now) and humans and nothing else. No lore. Just a bunch of nothing.

The draenei after HFP are -solely- neutral or hostile to everyone. They are most assuredly NOT Alliance. Which swings back to the topic on hand. If the Alliance had not gotten the Draenei, the little lore that the Alliance did get would be more or less be gone.

It's awful if they give either faction the middle finger.

Wishing it happen upon the Horde doesn't help the Alliance at all.
Seriously, are there any Panda Shaman in MoP?

That Bearheart guy.

Vanilla was "Alliance" -> BC was Horde -> WOTLK was "Alliance" -> Cata was HORDE, WITH CAPITAL LETTERS -> MOP is Alliance -> ??? is Horde.

I wouldn't call MoP alliance. Horde is getting a bunch of interesting lore for a couple races(and more to come hopefully) while the alliance is getting humans, humans, and more humans.
03/21/2013 11:07 AMPosted by Pyronaptor

It's awful if they give either faction the middle finger.

Wishing it happen upon the Horde doesn't help the Alliance at all.

The Alliance has gotten the middle finger numerous times now.