Frost DK gear audits

Death Knight
Post Limit:
Prev 1 2 3 9 Next
I'm getting back into my DK this season and slowly learning him by doing 2's. Was wondering if anyone would take a look at my gems, enchants and reforges. If anyone could leave some helpful macro's for 2's that would be awesome also. Thanks in advance for any help given.

From what I can see so far, you're missing a wrist enchant, a hand tinker, and your hit and exp are over. Also you reforged a sh!t ton of crit to Mastery for some reason. Your priority is
Haste > Crit > Mastery
Reforge all that mastery and crit to haste.

I think that mastery scales at 2/1 to strength correct?? Do they not make a purple gem that is 80str/160mastery?? I would think that losing 20 net strength would be worth picking up 160 mastery on Shellsplitter with the socket bonus??

you could use an Etched Imperial Amethyst which is 80str/160hit and reforge hit to mastery on the axe. Kinda a back door way to getting the mastery if there is no specific gem for that. Will look redundant, but gets the same thing done.

just a thought, since you are DW like me, Mastery is our friend.

I think I remember seeing somewhere that it was a little less than 2/1. The str/mastery gem is orange. The gem slot on the axe is blue.

My hit is perfect right now dont need anymore.

you did not read what i wrote

i know your hit is perfect, i am not trying to get you more hit, i am trying to get you more mastery.

if you put the purple str/hit gem in the Axe, and reforge out some hit to mastery in the Axe, you will lose 20 net strength, but pick up 170 mastery when you reforge hit instead of crit like you just did.

i know it is redundant, but it is also a big free gain in mastery.

Sorry for trying to help

I think I remember seeing somewhere that it was a little less than 2/1. The str/mastery gem is orange. The gem slot on the axe is blue.

My hit is perfect right now dont need anymore.

you did not read what i wrote

i know your hit is perfect, i am not trying to get you more hit, i am trying to get you more mastery.

if you put the purple str/hit gem in the Axe, and reforge out some hit to mastery in the Axe, you will lose 20 net strength, but pick up 170 mastery when you reforge hit instead of crit like you just did.

i know it is redundant, but it is also a big free gain in mastery.

Sorry for trying to help

I gotcha, I just asked mr robot and he suggested the gem in the axe too but to reforge the hit on the back to mastery.

He also said to reforge the exp off my pants to haste, but that would bring my exp levels to
MH Expertise: 7.68%
OH Expertise: 6.68%

Is it okay to have the OH exp not capped?
Looking more specifically at numbers and the reforging needed to make the change Auroraabeth suggested, you would gain 30 mastery and 113 crit but also lose 20 str while putting yourself just under hit capped (7.49%) I don't know how well crit scales at your ilvl but I'm pretty certain that it would be worth making the change.

7.49% hit capped means that over the course of a 10 minute fight you might miss once or twice. As far as I know this tier doesn't have anything Elegon-esque where one missed attack will wipe the raid.
I did the Mr Robot thing, almost the same thing beth said but just a reforge on another piece.

Now about that expertise issue....
Haha thanks but with the weapon thing for me i dont think +20 str is worth the loss of hit.

The reforging out of hit on my gear means i can get haste/mastery from it instead which are my best stats (so not reforging out there is basically me reforging out of haste/mastery)

And the removal of the hit gems would put me slightly under hit cap meaning i have less reliability (hit after the cap is still worth some dps although not alot) so a gain of 20 str at the loss of like 50 hit before cap and 100 after cap is probably not worth it.

i do put a lot of thought into my gemming/reforging and try to get it as close but over the hit/exp caps (because i'd rather lose 20 str than miss a strike on add that causes my raid to wipe).

for example. if i undid the reforge on say my bracers and gemmed str into my weapon i would gain +20 str, stil be over hit cap, but i would also be down 147 haste. I dont think 20 str is worth the loss of 147 haste.

if you can point out how i can get a beneficial stat gain versus stat loss then i'll be happy to hear it though.
My dps is so low it's pathetic. Please help =(
@Aeirah you're absolutely right. Sorry, this is a bit harder to do from a distance than I thought it would be. I get confused with my own gear sometimes because this tier has a ridiculous amount of hit in it

On a second look at your profile, what's the reasoning behind not having your ring and trinket reforged into mastery?

yours is a no brainer, all you need to do is look at your own audit and it tells you:

4 unenchanted items
4 empty sockets in 4 items
@Jregh good god I'm not entirely sure how to start with this one. For the basics, finish getting your gems and enchants on your gear. You're missing enchants on your Shoulders, bracers, and legs, and feet. You don't have gems in your belt of legs either. Try and fix those and then we can fix your reforging and such (you're dramatically over the hit cap so this will be necessary)
@Aeirah you're absolutely right. Sorry, this is a bit harder to do from a distance than I thought it would be. I get confused with my own gear sometimes because this tier has a ridiculous amount of hit in it

On a second look at your profile, what's the reasoning behind not having your ring and trinket reforged into mastery?

No real reason really but i think my current stat weights is somewhat haste = 0.46 mastery = 0.44. So i highly doubt there will be much difference anyway.

I still have fairly large periods of downtime in my build and haste is about equal to mastery atm. I know haste isn't as beneficial if you have to say stop hitting a boss for 18 seconds but tbh when does that ever really happen.

I know i could go PL to reduce downtime in my build. I find it a bit too distracting and an absolute mess during hero/lust. Not to mention unholy blight is awesome on multi target fights anyway which there are a few of anyway.

tl:dr
I tend to leave haste alone until I am having problems GCD capping.

i am about to go out so i can't crunch numbers atm. Try doing some number crunches on what your stats would be like if you used 80 str 160 hit gems in ALL your blue slots for now and instead of reforging out of crit and haste into hit start reforging out of hit into haste and mastery instead. That's what i would try to do at least.

Then get every enchant you can it's worth it. Other than that just work on finding upgrades, especially weapons since they are 483 if you can get a hold of some stronger ones it will work wonders.
@ Jagatron
yours is a no brainer, all you need to do is look at your own audit and it tells you:

4 unenchanted items
4 empty sockets in 4 items

As far as the enchants go, I got the mats together and I am going to get them done tomorrow ASAP.

As far as the empty sockets go, IDK what to put in my blue sockets ATM. I am WAYYY over the 7.5% hit cap, I'm sitting at 8.22%, WITHOUT reforging/gemming into it. IDK what to put in my blue sockets now cause wouldn't str/hit be a waste? I was thinking Str/Stam or maybe ?/Mastery. What would you recommend?

@Pwnjuice

@Jregh good god I'm not entirely sure how to start with this one. For the basics, finish getting your gems and enchants on your gear. You're missing enchants on your Shoulders, bracers, and legs, and feet. You don't have gems in your belt of legs either. Try and fix those and then we can fix your reforging and such (you're dramatically over the hit cap so this will be necessary)

As far as the enchants go, I got the mats together and I am going to get them done tomorrow ASAP.

As far as the empty sockets go, IDK what to put in my blue sockets ATM. I am WAYYY over the 7.5% hit cap, I'm sitting at 8.22%, WITHOUT reforging/gemming into it. IDK what to put in my blue sockets now cause wouldn't str/hit be a waste? I was thinking Str/Stam or maybe ?/Mastery. What would you recommend?

As far as the reforging goes, what would you recommend? I am not reforged at all for hit and I have one piece, my ring, that I could UNFORGE from exp, but I would be a little below the 7.5% and I thought a tad over would hurt; is this wrong?

@Aeirah

i am about to go out so i can't crunch numbers atm. Try doing some number crunches on what your stats would be like if you used 80 str 160 hit gems in ALL your blue slots for now and instead of reforging out of crit and haste into hit start reforging out of hit into haste and mastery instead. That's what i would try to do at least.

Then get every enchant you can it's worth it. Other than that just work on finding upgrades, especially weapons since they are 483 if you can get a hold of some stronger ones it will work wonders.

I am not reforging into hit at all, but I can look at the pay off for gemming like you recommend and see where that takes me. Can you recommend a site that I can do that with?

I was a TH frost before I got a second one-hander, but my DPS has gone down by over 20%

Thank you guys for taking the time to help and for the advice.
03/22/2013 07:23 AMPosted by Jagatron

I've basically optimized myself through Mr robot - can't do anything about that hit cap unfortunately.

Really? or are you just too lazy to swap out those hit gems? If Mr robot told you to jump off of a cliff, would you do that too?

Thanks there kiddo, that's how my method of optimizing my character - but I do believe I was asking pwnjuice for advice! :P I don't appreciate dicky comments like that mate :D thanks though!

I will definately take Pwnjuice's advice though thankyou PwnJuice- and reforge into pure str.
03/22/2013 07:26 AMPosted by Jagatron
I've been around the block a few times with dks (esp frost) and I was interested to know if anyone wanted help with their gearing choices (gems chants or whatever.) I realize that this may sound cocky but I know what I'm doing. If anyone wants any sort of help with gear decisions or just wants to know if there's something they can be doing better, leave a comment

Do me.

@Jagatron your doing everything right

only one trick to pass on to a fellow Orc

If your main hand weapon is an Axe let your off hand weapon fall to 6.5% expetise (if its a mace or sword)

Special attacks for all DW classes hit table is calculated from the main hand which mean as long as your main hand is hit/exp capped your special attacks will never be dodged/miss (from the back of course). This is of course only for special attacks.

But this means you can reforge your legs expertise to haste and will see an overall dps boost.
Haha thanks but with the weapon thing for me i dont think +20 str is worth the loss of hit.

The reforging out of hit on my gear means i can get haste/mastery from it instead which are my best stats (so not reforging out there is basically me reforging out of haste/mastery)

And the removal of the hit gems would put me slightly under hit cap meaning i have less reliability (hit after the cap is still worth some dps although not alot) so a gain of 20 str at the loss of like 50 hit before cap and 100 after cap is probably not worth it.

i do put a lot of thought into my gemming/reforging and try to get it as close but over the hit/exp caps (because i'd rather lose 20 str than miss a strike on add that causes my raid to wipe).

for example. if i undid the reforge on say my bracers and gemmed str into my weapon i would gain +20 str, stil be over hit cap, but i would also be down 147 haste. I dont think 20 str is worth the loss of 147 haste.

if you can point out how i can get a beneficial stat gain versus stat loss then i'll be happy to hear it though.

and for Aeirah the 496 Shat touched 1hnd is the best off hand weapon until you can get another 522.

weapon dmg in your off hand is reduced by 60% however the base stats as you know remain the same, this means the 1184 STR on your off hand (524 + 500 +160) will outweigh any other weapon sub 517 in your off hand (since u cant upgrade anymore meaning u skip straight to 522).

for example 483 Kilrak fully gemmed (LFR) in your off hand is better then having a 496 Schimitar in your off hand.

since your main hand and off hand both will benefit from that bonus 660 STR (1184-444) STR even becomes better then weapon dmg (ONLY IN THE OFF HAND) by 1:3.2 ratio.

and for Aeirah the 496 Shat touched 1hnd is the best off hand weapon until you can get another 522.

weapon dmg in your off hand is reduced by 60% however the base stats as you know remain the same, this means the 1184 STR on your off hand (524 + 500 +160) will outweigh any other weapon sub 517 in your off hand (since u cant upgrade anymore meaning u skip straight to 522).

for example 483 Kilrak fully gemmed (LFR) in your off hand is better then having a 496 Schimitar in your off hand.

since your main hand and off hand both will benefit from that bonus 660 STR (1184-444) STR even becomes better then weapon dmg (ONLY IN THE OFF HAND) by 1:3.2 ratio.

actually frost strike off-hand and obliterate off-hand etc do in fact take into account your off hands weapon dps. This is what makes a 497 axe better than a 483 sha touched. I won't argue that a 496 sha touched is better though i just haven't found one yet.

Also don't forget im an orc so an axe also means i can negate 340 expertise.

I am not reforging into hit at all, but I can look at the pay off for gemming like you recommend and see where that takes me. Can you recommend a site that I can do that with?

I was a TH frost before I got a second one-hander, but my DPS has gone down by over 20%

Thank you guys for taking the time to help and for the advice.

hmm so you are, i only had a very quick look at your armory before i left. However you are reforging OUT of beneficial stats like:

critical strike:
helm, neck, chest bracers, gloves and belt, boots and ring 1.

Haste:
pants, ring 2, cloak and shoulders.

instead you should do this:
Belt = 80 str 160 hit into blue gem socket (this also gives 120 expertise)
Necklace = undo the reforge since you have exp from belt now and change reforge into haste (129 haste)
Pants = 80 str 160 hit gem into blue gem socket, undo reforge and change it to hit -> mastery (-116 mastery but gain 316 haste +120 str)
Shoulders = 80 str 160 hit gem into blue gem socket, undo reforge and reforge hit -> mastery (+22 haste and 33 mastery and +80 str)
Cloak = undo reforge and reforge hit -> mastery ( -18 mastery and + 149 haste )

this should put you at 7.5% hit exactly i think. While also giving you a grand total of:
:. 440 strength
:. 616 haste
:. -101 mastery

Now for enchants
shoulders = tiger fang inscription (200 str 100 crit)
bracers = Enchant Bracer - Exceptional Strength (180 str)
pants = Angerhide Leg Armor (285 str 165crit)
boots = panderens step (9% move speed 140 mastery)

:. 665 str
:. 265 crit
:. 140 mastery
:. 9% move speed

In total:
:. 1105 str
:. 265 crit
:. 39 mastery
:. 616 haste
:. 9% movement speed.

Really? or are you just too lazy to swap out those hit gems? If Mr robot told you to jump off of a cliff, would you do that too?

Thanks there kiddo, that's how my method of optimizing my character - but I do believe I was asking pwnjuice for advice! :P I don't appreciate dicky comments like that mate :D thanks though!

I will definately take Pwnjuice's advice though thankyou PwnJuice- and reforge into pure str.

Yeah, let me know how that "reforge to strength" goes... because yanno, you can only gem or enchant to it and reforge to secondary stats.
03/23/2013 04:25 AMPosted by Doomgard

Do me.

@Jagatron your doing everything right

only one trick to pass on to a fellow Orc

If your main hand weapon is an Axe let your off hand weapon fall to 6.5% expetise (if its a mace or sword)

Special attacks for all DW classes hit table is calculated from the main hand which mean as long as your main hand is hit/exp capped your special attacks will never be dodged/miss (from the back of course). This is of course only for special attacks.

But this means you can reforge your legs expertise to haste and will see an overall dps boost.

Awesome, thank you for the answer!