Profession help

New Player Help and Guides
Started playing wow just a few weeks ago and have some questions.

Being a warrior I took smithing and mining. I worked very hard at it but the gear I was able to create was always second best to quest rewards and random drops. Since about level 30 the only actual useful things I have crafted are sharpening/weight stones.

By the time I hit lvl 60 I had enough pvp/honor points to get the whole set, and it's much better than anything I can make for the foreseeable future blacksmithing. And even if it wasn't I already have a ton of honor points saved for the future.

Also, I'm in a very generous guild so gold/profit isn't really an issue until it comes time to give back ;)

With these facts in mind, my questions are:

1. Is it even worth it to continue blacksmithing? Or is this just an outdated passtime from the early days of the game?

2. Inscription seems like a much better choice since I can see myself using the same glyphs at lvl 25 as level 90. Thoughts?

3. The one good thing about smithing is that all the junk I made lvling up my skill is good for disenchanting. But am I going to have the same problems with it as I do smithing?

4. Basically what professions will give me things I cant get through grinding/questing/pvp?

Any advice or even just random thoughts would be most welcome :)
1. Is it even worth it to continue blacksmithing? Or is this just an outdated passtime from the early days of the game?

Probably not while leveling, no. We typically advise two gathering while leveling so you can auction and make gold, then power leveling a crafting or two at level cap. You are discovering one reason why -- in order to make good gear while leveling, you will need access to gold and mats well in excess of what you are typically able to get on your own as a new player on a realm.

At level cap, all EDIT: crafting professions provide meaningful bonuses and often access to decent interim gear as well.

All of the other things you are thinking of getting from crafting professions can be gotten for gold on the AH, and often not much gold when compared with the cost of leveling a crafting profession and then making those items. Gold is what you want. Gathering is the way to get it. Herb, mine, or skin. Sell it all on the AH. Bathe in gold, Scrooge McDuck style.

EDIT: Oh, and while leveling, quests and instances will typically be your best avenues to continue to upgrade your gear. Sorry I didn't detail your other questions, but I think my answers addressed them for the most part. At least I hope they did.
At level cap, all gathering professions provide meaningful bonuses and often access to decent interim gear as well.

Nits I think you meant crafting :P
03/23/2013 09:06 AMPosted by Kagara
At level cap, all gathering professions provide meaningful bonuses and often access to decent interim gear as well.

Nits I think you meant crafting :P

Maybe I did. Who's to say?

You'll say whatever your "Dark Lady" tells you to say and you know it :P
03/23/2013 09:11 AMPosted by Kagara

You'll say whatever your "Dark Lady" tells you to say and you know it :P

Nonsense, we Forsaken have free will. The freeest. Wait, let me check.

Yes, yes we do. Free will.

Dark Lady watch over you. Also, victory for Sylvanas.
03/23/2013 08:52 AMPosted by Bodisseffa
2. Inscription seems like a much better choice since I can see myself using the same glyphs at lvl 25 as level 90. Thoughts?

To expand on Harlan's reply, you won't be able to make all of the useful glyphs until much later in the game, so you'd still end up getting them from someone else. Plus, if you level up Inscription while you level your character, you'll need LOTS and lots of herbs, so you can gather them while questing and sell off the extras (won't have much leftover though), or just wait until closer to level cap and buy the herbs to power-level the profession.

Same with Enchanting, the profession is really easy to level if you have a steady supply of mats, but if you only have the one character with the one profession, it'll be much more difficult to find things to disenchant. Tailoring is good to pair with Enchanting since you mostly just need cloth drops to make things, then you can DE them, but again it's easier to do either staying caught up while leveling, or just wanting until endgame.

Also, FWIW the gear in Outland will be much better than pre-60 gear, and after 68 the gear from Northrend will be much better than Outland gear. By 80 you can get even bigger upgrades with Cata and MoP gear. Not to be the pee in the cereal, but don't stress too much about getting a full set of gear before level cap, because each expansion will provide gear that's WAY better than the older stuff.

(edit) If you haven't already, you can also speak with a blacksmithing trainer and scroll ahead to see what you'll be able to make later on, like being able to add a socket to your gloves and bracers.
Thanks for all the helpful tips folks!
If you plan on being level cap, I would say keep it. I normally do 2 gathering while lvling, but if you dont want to take the time to go back and relevel, or dont have the gold to power level a crafting profession, then you should be fine. Once maxed, bs has a pretty good bonus for plate wearers.

good luck, hope that helps.