8 years and no Australian servers

Oceanic General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 4 6 Next
Oceania covers not just Australia, sheesh.

Aust pop 23 million
NZ pop 4 million
Fiji pop 868,406
Noumea pop 93,060.
The Philippines pop 94,852,030
Malaysia pop 28,859,154

Total pop of entire Oceanic region 378,000,000 (2010

EXACTLY.

Please read more carefully.

Australia's playerbase is NOT large enough to have it's own independent group of servers. Roughly less than a couple hundred thousand Aussies play World of Warcraft actively. & that's just an estimate.

Do you not understand that that is not enough people for Blizzard to waste revenue on for servers that most likely wouldn't even catch wind?

You're sitting here defending Oceanic servers which you already have, why is there a need for AU-Only? There isn't.

With the population issue aside, you act as if Blizzard makes these millions of dollars and then leaves it to sit in the sun.

Do you have the slightest idea how expensive it is to pay all employees, maintain all buildings, basic upkeep, game maintenance, maintenance for World of Warcraft's servers alone is over $100,000 USD a day.

I'm finished arguing with you because you obviously have very little knowledge on what you're talking about.

The point is, if there were good enough incentive for Blizzard to create an independent group of servers for Australian players they would have done something already; and by doing nothing it's very clear what their stance is.

Stop complaining.

/Thread
That's because Australia is what WoW would be in real life

every damn animal there can..and probly has killed someone
03/24/2013 08:20 PMPosted by Mirisanelle
My main pont is that Blizzard to this date refuses to come forward and give us a straight answer.

They don't need to.
You're sitting here defending Oceanic servers which you already have, why is there a need for AU-Only? There isn't.

Those servers are located in the US, in California, with ping times of up to 300 ms, they are labelled Oceanic to do with timezones not actuial physical location.

Do you have the slightest idea how expensive it is to pay all employees, maintain all buildings, basic upkeep, game maintenance for World of Warcraft's servers alone is over $100,000 USD a day.

No not really, I worked for over thirty years in retail and finance and really have no idea...where did those figures come from. Source please?

The point is, if there were good enough incentive for Blizzard to create an independent group of servers for Australian players they would have done something already; and by doing nothing it's very clear what their stance is.

And all we want is for them to come forward and explain to us what those reasons are.

Stop complaining.

No.
it also is quite reasonable to expect that the same level of service quality be available to all players.
And all we want is for them to come forward and explain to us what those reasons are.

http://www.ausgamers.com/news/read/2974876
Here's one on their thoughts.

http://www.ausgamers.com/news/read/2976629
And here's more clarification.
Those servers are located in the US, in California, with ping times of up to 300 ms, they are labelled Oceanic to do with timezones not actuial physical location.

Here you are proving my point again. There isn't enough incentive to give physical servers to any players in the oceanic regions. Why?

THERE ISN'T ENOUGH PLAYERS.

I'm glad you know of the 378 million people living out there, but it's obvious they don't all play WoW.

With that aside:

No not really, I worked for over thirty years in retail and finance and really have no idea...where did those figures come from. Source please?

Exactly, so you should have a basic understanding of the fact that money like this which is constantly being put to more efficient use isn't expendable enough to be spent on pointless servers like the ones you're mindlessly pegging for.

They've done nothing but allowed the threads made by like-minded individuals be buried in the pages of the general forums.

I think you have your answer.

No.

Then do something productive.
In terms of cash flow it could be afforded easily.

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/05/09/activision-blizzard-q1-2012-financials-1-17-billion-in-net-rev/

Total revenue for Blizzard in 2012 $1.17 billion

I can only ocnclude the only reason they dont have servers here is that they either dont care or are just unwilling to for whatever reason.

It has been asked time and time again for Blizzard to just come forward and tell us yes or no and why.

Want me to go on?

They don't think it's worth the expense. Yes, they could afford it. However, the gain for the expense isn't high enough for their liking. I'll go dig up an article from when they put serious (public) thought into AU-based servers.

http://www.ausgamers.com/news/read/2974876
Here's one on their thoughts.

http://www.ausgamers.com/news/read/2976629
And here's more clarification.

lol optus, they can't even handle connections let alone servers.... they should of asked Telstra... THEY didnt even know what our number one ISP was.

Shows how much 'research' they did on aussie servers.
Telstra

There was a conversation with Telstra at one point. It went even worse, which is why they tried Optus.
What's your ping time. 50 ms?

The point I was illustrating is that making demands and claiming that you're a "paying customer" will get you nowhere.

As far as logic is concerned, this goes to your comments re Blizard affordability.

The only thing I said - or rather implied - was that Blizzard makes their own financial decisions. Your ability to google a couple articles about their revenue doesn't make you an expert on the matter. If they had determined they would make more money than they already are by providing Australian servers, they would have done so already.

Clearly, determining what will be most profitable in this circumstance isn't an exact science. Few things in this field are. And enough Australian players have stuck around over the years, either not caring or just waiting for these dreams to come to fruition (lol), that Blizzard apparently hasn't noticed much lost revenue from the world's smallest continent in the midst of all the other financial decisions they make.

My logic is not fallacious at all

Implying that Blizzard, as a company, should take money from D3 and Starcraft II sales and use it to create Australian WoW servers is fallacious logic. They're completely separate and independently functioning parts of the company.

Your arguments are weak.

it also is quite reasonable to expect that the same level of service quality be available to all players.

How long have you lived on this planet? When have you ever seen this actually happen for any company Blizzard's size?

Blizzard does the best they can for the greatest amount of players possible. The fact that the game is available for you to play does not mean that it will be optimal. And if you called the company and asked them, they would tell you as much. Again, I want to stress that you made a conscious decision to play the game. You're making a conscious decision to continue to play.

Feel free to voice your opinion. But when you make comments that don't make sense, expect them to be called out.
03/24/2013 08:33 PMPosted by Lmcm
What's your ping time. 50 ms?

The point I was illustrating is that making demands and claiming that you're a "paying customer" will get you nowhere.

As far as logic is concerned, this goes to your comments re Blizard affordability.

The only thing I said - or rather implied - was that Blizzard makes their own financial decisions. Your ability to google a couple articles about their revenue doesn't make you an expert on the matter. If they had determined they would make more money than they already are by providing Australian servers, they would have done so already.

Clearly, determining what will be most profitable in this circumstance isn't an exact science. Few things in this field are. And enough Australian players have stuck around over the years, either not caring or just waiting for these dreams to come to fruition (lol), that Blizzard apparently hasn't noticed much lost revenue from the world's smallest continent in the midst of all the other financial decisions they make.

My logic is not fallacious at all

Implying that Blizzard, as a company, should take money from D3 and Starcraft II sales and use it to create Australian WoW servers is fallacious logic. They're completely separate and independently functioning parts of the company.

Your arguments are weak.

How long have you lived on this planet? When have you ever seen this actually happen for any company Blizzard's size?

Blizzard does the best they can for the greatest amount of players possible. The fact that the game is available for you to play does not mean that it will be optimal. And if you called the company and asked them, they would tell you as much. Again, I want to stress that you made a conscious decision to play the game. You're making a conscious decision to continue to play.

Feel free to voice your opinion. But when you make comments that don't make sense, expect them to be called out.

You're not a Blizzard rep. Stop trying to speak on their behalf.
I don't care either way, but if you are looking to actually get Blizzard to listen to you guys, I'd stop with the "they look at us as second class citizens" guilt trip crap and ask for servers and attempt to open up logical discussion (in which you might get your answers) and not get all angry and defensive shooting off at the hip to people that don't represent Blizzard.

Approach it differently, including contacting Blizzard directly and some companies in AU if needed and you might actually get something accomplished. Getting into pee'ing matches on these forums wont do a darn thing.

No and neither are you. As far as advice is concerned, how about basic service to their paying customers?

But I didn't tell them how to spend their money?

Or do you want to want to play the "no u" game more?

As far as the basic service argument goes, you made a conscious choice to play a game that you know doesn't have Australian servers. You can't demand after the fact that they give you Australian servers after the fact. You said it yourself - 8 years and no Australian servers! How long will you foolishly sit around waiting for them to set some up?

I could ask them to set up a server in my backyard because there's no datacenter in North Carolina. I'm a paying customer - do I deserve this basic service?

For the record, I couldn't care less where they put servers. I just resent your fallacious logic and snippy tone.

You are honestly the annoying poster here.

What do you have against discussion or even complaints? You seem way way too blitz fanboy.

Blizzard frankly has had a lot to be desired in how it treats it's paying customers, and this is a good example of this.

What truly amazes me is when people like you post to defend them . . . For what?

Are you their best friend or something? Their mother? They are a company that makes over a billion a year and then you tell it's customers who complain to shut up?

Posters like you are the problem, not the OP.

Is this what you do when you can't respond to a person's actual points?

You attack the person?

Edit:
What do you have against discussion or even complaints? You seem way way too blitz fanboy.

Check my post history if you think I'm a Blizzard fanboy.

And you can also check my post history if you think I have something against discussion. I have something against poor arguments. Making effective arguments is what prolongs that discussion.
Blizzard would have to build upside down servers. Not gonna happen.

Best response on this issue to date. Upside down servers are NOT cost effective.
03/24/2013 08:40 PMPosted by Lmcm

Is this what you do when you can't respond to a person's actual points?

You attack the person?

Edit:

Check my post history if you think I'm a Blizzard fanboy.

And you can also check my post history if you think I have something against discussion. I have something against poor arguments. Making effective arguments is what prolongs that discussion.

Noo.... I'm saying your not a Blizzard rep. Stop talking on their behalf.
And now we're redirected to oceanic general discussion where blizzard hope's this will hide under the carpet again.
And now we're redirected to oceanic general discussion where blizzard hope's this will hide under the carpet again.

Or where it more appropriately belongs since it is a topic pertinent to Oceanic players only.
Or where it more appropriately belongs since it is a topic pertinent to Oceanic players only.

More like buried so it can be ignored, as so many others have.

Approach it differently, including contacting Blizzard directly and some companies in AU if needed and you might actually get something accomplished. Getting into pee'ing matches on these forums wont do a darn thing.

I'd love to. Tried Activision here in Sydney and guess what, they redirected me to the US only tel no.

Blizzard doesnt even have an office here to handle customer enquiries. Going to tell
me that a branch office will cost $100,000 a day?

No actually. Spoke to Activision who admitted to me that they DO have Blizzard as part of their company but that Blizzard REFUSES to have offices or contacts here in Australia "They prefer to do it themselves"

Activision has servers here for a lot of their games, so i cannot see why it is that BlIZZARD cant organise one for Aust customers with Aust servers through an established connection with the SAME COMPANY as them.

The infrastructure is already in place.
03/24/2013 09:21 PMPosted by Mirisanelle

More like buried so it can be ignored, as so many others have.

I'd love to. Tried Activision here in Sydney and guess what, they redirected me to the US only tel no.

Blizzard doesnt even have an office here to handle customer enquiries. Going to tell
me that a branch office will cost $100,000 a day?

No actually. Spoke to Activision who admitted to me that they DO have Blizzard as part of their company but that Blizzard REFUSES to have offices or contacts here in Australia "They prefer to do it themselves"

Activision has servers here for a lot of their games, so i cannot see why it is that BlIZZARD cant organise one for Aust customers with Aust servers through an established connection with the SAME COMPANY as them.

The infrastructure is already in place.

This^^^^^^^^^