5.2 PVE Complete Destruction Guide

Warlock
Post Limit:
Prev 1 2 3 4 7 Next
Great guide Lok, requested for Sticky!
I updated the destruction rotation like 2 months after t14 went live. The current line, which is slightly outdated from my local profiles, is:

actions+=/chaos_bolt,if=ember_react&target.health.pct>20&(buff.backdraft.stack<3|level<86)&(burning_ember>3.5|buff.dark_soul.remains>cast_time|buff.skull_banner.remains>cast_time|(buff.perfect_aim.react&buff.perfect_aim.remains>cast_time))
So it's pooling for DS specifically? Just seems like there are a lot of variables like releasing CBs with heavy procs while slow pooling that are really difficult to simulate. I haven't gone through the exact simulation casting since probably before you had changed it which is why I was still under the impression that it didn't pool. I still think it's going to be close to impossible to accurately simulate something so variable, but that's why it's just a simulation. Point being, you can't take SimC at full face value just like you can't take mrrobot or even my guide as scripture for every possible situation.

People have to make sure they are thinking for themselves and questioning what is applicable to them and what isn't and understanding their class/spec. Thanks for all the information though, very informative.

If you read it again, it uses chaos bolt for any of the following:
Over 3.5 embers
Dark soul remains greater than cast time
Skull banner remains greater than cast time
Trinket procs remain greater than cast time

And pools otherwise.

When I use SimC for destro using GoSup or GoSer, I get Crit=Haste>Mastery for my weights, but notice a definite loss in DPS. I've checked parses and discussed it at length with other warlocks and find better results with Mastery=Crit>Haste, I also prefer the latter because it works well with GoSac if I need to switch it up.

Why am I getting such discrepancies in SimC?

Simc is single target, with no movement, absolutely no aoe, no cleave, no nothing. It puts your character on a target and runs through the rotation perfectly. Haste performs well in those situations because you almost never mana cap if you play very well. The down fall of haste is when you add multiple targets and movement/target switching. Because a large amount of the mana refunded from haste goes into waste during such situations as RoF hitting 2+ targets, all that that haste does is increase the cast time of your spells, which is negligible compared to mastery.

Mastery also pulls ahead in anything above 1 target, because of the interaction with havoc/FaB.

Crit alleviate rotational issues where, in extremely low gear (typically blues), destro could oom single target from just doing the rotation and have to sit there for a split second between incinerates doing nothing. It falls behind in 3+ targets because of the massive increase of embers from RoF.

Haste essentially does nothing but more casts. This is because it proportionally increases the mana regen by the % decrease in the casting time of spells. So, you get 5% more incinerates, but you spend 5% more mana in total, and you generate 5% more mana to compensate. It is sort of a stalemate in this regard, and when you cut out the + mana regen due to overcapping, all you're left with is lost dps.

What you'll find is an odd interaction between crit and haste. The more crit you have, the more embers, which directly increases the # of chaos bolts cast. If you truly understand the destro rotation, then you know that the primary function of chaos bolt is to give us downtime in which we regenerate mana, which we spend to get more chaos bolts. So, when you get to higher levels of crit, you get more downtime where you're in a mana regenerative cycle. Because you spend more time not spending mana, it directly decreases the value of haste, in theory, because it becomes more and more difficult to spend the increased mana it returns.

I'd love to see a better interaction between haste/crit in the future.
Pets do basically the same dps, you're talking less than 1% difference single target. Yes, one of them will technically be better than the others, but they're so tightly balanced that it really doesn't make any difference at all.

Take whichever pet you feel more comfortable with based on the encounter. If you need an interrupt, felhunter ftw, if you need an extra cc, succubus, etc.
Great info as usual Lok. I do have one question though regarding talents.
I personally sim 2k dps higher using GoServ over GoSup, and SimC is also suggesting I put everything into haste, which doesn't feel right as I have almost no crit.
Could that be right?
Ummm I'd rather lose mastery than crit if you were going a haste build. I can see it being possible that GoServ would be better (esp with high haste) on a single target fight, but I'd be nervous about losing that much crit.
This guide looks similar to all other destro guides I've seen, only I can barely manage 65k dps with 486 ilvl on the raid dummy even after trying out all guide suggestions I've seen. Noxxic says I should be doing 91k dps at my ilvl (Granted I still have 4 pvp items in my pve set, but it shouldn't be that much of a difference, since I have both pve trinkets). Haven't played Pandaria long, but I've always topped off dps on my warlock in previous expansions. Maybe I need more practice, ganna try to reforge to crit and practice some more I guess, but I hate to say I might try switching to affliction.

Also, I don't know why people say observer does best dps from pets, I metered only my pets attacking and shivarra did about 5k more dps than observer did. Maybe I'm tripping, but I still prefer GoSac either way, just a thought.
91k on a dummy at 486 equipped? I'm pretty skeptical.

Also, don't glyph Dark Soul unless you know the specific reasons you'd need it. It's really not good for general use. If you're using Dark Soul properly, you're just costing yourself 3% crit during it for 3% crit for a couple spells at best.

Remember raid buffs when comparing DPS. Spell Haste, Food, Flask, Kings for you, and your pets will benefit a bit from other buffs as well (ie: Sunder). Also keep in mind that you're not actually using Shadowburn on dummies.
03/27/2013 04:52 AMPosted by Serinicas
91k on a dummy at 486 equipped? I'm pretty skeptical.
Yeah that seems pretty out there. Maybe with full raid buffs, flasks, food etc you could hit it but just sitting there with DI up you're probably going to be a bit low. Training dummies are a crappy gauge for DPS, they're essentially only good for practicing rotation and getting addons working well.
I didn't say I did 91k to a dummy, I was referring to this: http://www.noxxic.com/wow/dps-rankings/realistic#483 . After reforging for about +3% more crit I managed to get 72k dps on the raid dummy with good timing from trinket/racial/DS/burning embers up. I played around with affliction and did horrible dps on the dummy, although it is kind of fun in bgs. Either way, I'm still sticking with destruction. Sorry for griefing earlier, last night I went into a guild heroic MSV and didn't do so hot on the mechanics as well as dps, so I was a little butt hurt. I think my gear just caters too much to mastery and not enough to crit, but beggers can't be choosers. I've only been 90 for about a week, so I should hold my horses.
Very helpful info, thanks. Liked and sticky requested - would be a great platform at the top of the forum page for updates and revisions as things evolve.

I was especially interested in your thoughts about addons and toolbar setup. One of things I find most challenging is keeping on top of all the data and designing a screen layout that provides the critical info efficiently. I have been playing for four months and still find myself changing things around and some of my settings still just dont feel intuitive or natural. I am left handed so I use the numpad as my casting/rotation bar, and just not enough hotkeys within reaching distance to cover everything I use regularly.

Would it be possible for you to link a screenshot of how you have it all setup for Destro?

Also, do you have any useful pet macros worth adding? Even the bleeding obvious ones? Admittedly I most need it for PVP and arena moreso than PVE, but pet mico management is very much a weak point for me so all suggestions are helpful.

Thanks again.
03/27/2013 10:47 PMPosted by Kazzragore
I didn't say I did 91k to a dummy, I was referring to this: http://www.noxxic.com/wow/dps-rankings/realistic#483
Understood, but you're comparing dummy DPS to raid DPS and that's a bad comparison.

03/28/2013 01:13 AMPosted by Annasoul
I was especially interested in your thoughts about addons and toolbar setup. One of things I find most challenging is keeping on top of all the data and designing a screen layout that provides the critical info efficiently. I have been playing for four months and still find myself changing things around and some of my settings still just dont feel intuitive or natural. I am left handed so I use the numpad as my casting/rotation bar, and just not enough hotkeys within reaching distance to cover everything I use regularly.
Getting comfortable with a fight is the most important thing. At this point I find it pretty natural to be looking at my auras and whatnot so I kind of do it second nature, but when I'm watching my proc timers like a hawk making sure I get CBs out perfectly I'm rarely actually watching what's going on in a fight. Kind of naturally feeling when new abilities are coming out and when/where you need to move gives you way more time to focus on perfecting your rotation.

You can probably get away with doing most of your spells and macros using the keypad (esp if you have a few extra buttons on your mouse). Not sure how good your reach is but hitting the right shift can open up a lot more keybinds for you. Maybe they have lefty keyboards idk! I can probably grab a screenshot of my UI (even though it may make some people cry) when I get home. Essentially though, I have everything within my line of vision so I don't have to look very far to see important info. My cast bar, affdots, and all my proc auras are in the very center of the screen above my button bars so a bit below dead center. I have my target unit frame a bit to the right so I don't have to look far away (yes, even a couple inches) to see boss heal, cast bars, energy, or easily target etc.

03/28/2013 01:13 AMPosted by Annasoul
Also, do you have any useful pet macros worth adding? Even the bleeding obvious ones? Admittedly I most need it for PVP and arena moreso than PVE, but pet mico management is very much a weak point for me so all suggestions are helpful.
I'll check my macros and see if I have any useful ones to add, but I think the most important ones are the havoc mouseover macro and the FnB macros. I have a macro for my defensive CDs, some pet ones that are generally fight specific, and just some random ones that probably aren't going to be helpful to anyone. I'll update the post later but for instance if you have GoSup for Council you'd want something like:

/petpassive
/petattack [target=Sul the Sandcrawler]

and

/petpassive
/petattack [target=Kazrajin] (spelling?)

I usually have my pet sitting on Sul no matter who I'm on, but bring him over to Kaz for his overload since I have to hold DPS a bit for his reflect. If I use observer (which I usually do for this fight even though there's a bit of target switching) I have a macro to interrupt my focus target (Sul) to help with sandbolts.
Are there any other guides like this for afflic and demo? Stat weights are a bit confusing since they are using sup or sac and switching between different fights.

Not that I've seen. Your best bet is to go through the Warlock-specific Simcraft results and see what they're doing. Learning to read the APLs will help a lot, but you'll need some extra critical thinking to understand why they're doing what they are.
03/28/2013 09:13 AMPosted by Serinicas
Are there any other guides like this for afflic and demo? Stat weights are a bit confusing since they are using sup or sac and switching between different fights.

Not that I've seen. Your best bet is to go through the Warlock-specific Simcraft results and see what they're doing. Learning to read the APLs will help a lot, but you'll need some extra critical thinking to understand why they're doing what they are.

Just don't look at the t15h profiles and base stuff off them...thats full bis, with 4pc, 2 rppm trinkets, and the legendary meta.
Great guide Loktronotron. Sticky requested. I really appreciate you posting this as I haven't played Destruction since early LK and have been thinking about trying it again.

I have a small request though.....would it be possible to post a screenshot of your UI? I would like to see how you have your addon's configured.

Thanks again!!
Would it be possible for you to link a screenshot of how you have it all setup for Destro?

I have a small request though.....would it be possible to post a screenshot of your UI? I would like to see how you have your addon's configured.

http://i.imgur.com/UuH0h11.jpg?1

Like I said, not the prettiest but it gets the job done for me.

• Xperl for unit frames (keep my focus to the right of my procs to see/click easier, also have raid frames in the space below the focus frame but you can't see that atm)
  • ForteXorcist cooldown bar (have the DoT timers as well but I usually just keep track of them from unit frams/tidy plates
  • Tidy plates
  • Affdots
  • Power Auras for mana level (on left), boss HP sub 20% (red thing in center), backdraft stacks (yellow things in the middle), procs (proc portraits), pet out or GoSac buff not up to remind me to summon or sac my pet or if my pet dies (thing to the right of focus)
  • Quartz cast bar
  • Recount
  • Bartender (the buttons to the right of my pet bar are my pet macros just fyi)

Some of my addons are a tad redundant (Forte and Quartz can both do dot timers as does tidy plates and affdots) but I didn't get all my macros at the same time and some have features I like that others don't so I kinda accumulated a bunch.
03/28/2013 03:05 PMPosted by Loktronotron

http://i.imgur.com/UuH0h11.jpg?1

Like I said, not the prettiest but it gets the job done for me.

• Xperl for unit frames (keep my focus to the right of my procs to see/click easier, also have raid frames in the space below the focus frame but you can't see that atm)
  • ForteXorcist cooldown bar (have the DoT timers as well but I usually just keep track of them from unit frams/tidy plates
  • Tidy plates
  • Affdots
  • Power Auras for mana level (on left), boss HP sub 20% (red thing in center), backdraft stacks (yellow things in the middle), procs (proc portraits), pet out or GoSac buff not up to remind me to summon or sac my pet or if my pet dies (thing to the right of focus)
  • Quartz cast bar
  • Recount
  • Bartender (the buttons to the right of my pet bar are my pet macros just fyi)

Some of my addons are a tad redundant (Forte and Quartz can both do dot timers as does tidy plates and affdots) but I didn't get all my macros at the same time and some have features I like that others don't so I kinda accumulated a bunch.

Just want I wanted. Thank you tons for that.
Wow after seeing that screenshot I have to get some addons! Thanks again.