Arena issues

Paladin
Recently I've begun running 3's with two guildies and this is the first time since the beginning of cata that I've actually run with people that actually want to do more then cap conquest every week.

We're running ret/ww/rsham but when our monk isn't availible we run ret/mistweaver 2's
(healer has multiple geared healers.)

And in doing so, I've hit a snag. Generally anytime we get healer/dps as an opposing team it's usually a 20 min+ match because I don't understand how to set up kills properly. Anytime I pop cd's I have cc's cycled on me until I'm no longer a threat, Even when I'm able to set up sac beforehand to break them.

And most of the time, I fall just short of landing a kill. It's made worse by the fact that said healer doesn't know how to look for opportunities and has to make every call, such as who we're going on and when. But I lack arena experience and can only make rough strategies based off of the random pvp I've been doing since wrath.

It's getting to the point where I'm concerned that my failings here will become a serious issue as we do 3's.

Is there any advice anyne could give me regarding how I should be using my cd's? It's not really an option for me, But does ret have to gem pvp power to be effective running healer/ret?

I understand That 2's should not be taken seriously, but I feel at times that the way I play arena is fundamentally flawed.

Any advice would be appreciated, Apologies for all the text.
For setting up kills it's really important that you get trinkets off the other team. When going for a kill you need to get cross CC on the other two team mates. For example if you're going for a kill on the healer hex one of the dps and either hoj or blind the other. I'm not completely sure the abilities monks have but i'm pretty sure they have a stun you guys can put on the healer. Basically, you just have to cross CC if you want to get a easy kill, and that means not popping CDs unless the other team doesn't have any trinks, or they are just in africa and don't have any way of getting to their healer (or dps) to assist them.
If you're going on a DPS just make sure you put the majority of your CC on the healer

I hope this is what you were looking for, and hope it helps : /
forgot the name of the addon but its the one where it announces anything happening in pvp. In arenas (on my dk) i found it very useful being able to hear when opponents pop cds or trinkets.
Is it possible to go for a kill on anyone decent if they have any cd's up at all? A disc priest can easily sit in my stun without trinketing if I don't pop any cd's and I feel like I'm not doing enough damage with just wings or Holy avenger.

I'll pop guardian so that I'm at full stacks, But I feel like this just tips an opposing team off that I'm going to burst soon.

I generally spec fist of justice for rated pvp, Is it acceptable to use it when I don't have a kill in sight to apply pressure due to it's short cd, or am I just shooting myself in the foot?
forgot the name of the addon but its the one where it announces anything happening in pvp. In arenas (on my dk) i found it very useful being able to hear when opponents pop cds or trinkets.

Addon is called - gladiatorlosSA
I also run 2's as Ret/resto shaman and have run into issues taking down another dps/heals team. The worst to date was holy pally/Fire mage. Let that game run 15 min before I quit out of frustration.

In regards to fist of justice, if you have it traited then use it. If you only plan on using it once a fight to set up a kill then you are better off taking repentance. If you have it on a 30sec cooldown then use it when you can to "freecast" your damage on the softest target possible.

Also a suggestion is using Sanctified Wrath. I've been trying it out ever since they changed Avenging Wrath to 2min and the extra uptime on wings is very noticeable, and goes a long way to offset damage lost when they initially CC you upon seeing wings. not to mention with reduced cooldown on hammer of wrath it's almost spammable during wings.

Just one noobs opinion. As far as the best way to set up a kill, i'm working on that myself.

I Know of it, I'd rather not use it as it's just a tool for something that I need to learn to do on my own.
Is it possible to go for a kill on anyone decent if they have any cd's up at all? A disc priest can easily sit in my stun without trinketing if I don't pop any cd's and I feel like I'm not doing enough damage with just wings or Holy avenger.

I'll pop guardian so that I'm at full stacks, But I feel like this just tips an opposing team off that I'm going to burst soon.

I generally spec fist of justice for rated pvp, Is it acceptable to use it when I don't have a kill in sight to apply pressure due to it's short cd, or am I just shooting myself in the foot?

Firstly - focus stun macros.
If you can force trinket, being specced into fist of justice means you can use another 3 stuns before their trinket is available again.
Make a macro /cast [@Focustarget] fist of justice
Get your arena partner to do the same with his stuns and/or silences, fears, ect.
That should allow you to lock down targets long enough and/or force trinket.

Blinding light is amazing for forcing trinket tho when coming up again a hunter or lock, your better off saving it and using it defensively when they pop their 100 ncp's..

Also, when running with a healer, I'd suggest glyphing double jeopardy for the extra damage increase over glyph of divine protection because between monk stuns, escapes and more importantly Ring of peace, with your utility of clemency, sac freedom HoP, staying alive against melee cleaves should not be an issue plus your amazing off heals.

Lastly, keeping Inquisition up is very very important if you want to apply and substantial sustained damage.. Also if your finding your burst is either being countered by their cc or defensive CDs , try staggering your burst.. Trinket/Wing then 1 min later trinket/HA force trinkets.. Time it right, force trinket, lock down healer with cc and burst kill someone..

Hope that helps in someway.
03/27/2013 03:35 PMPosted by Hauclir

I Know of it, I'd rather not use it as it's just a tool for something that I need to learn to do on my own.

Use it, it'll increase your rating by 200.
As Wrathofnaaru said, Sanctified wrath can be useful especially against Mage comps but HA is still superior.
I have most of the relevant macros, focus stun/sac specificpartners/etc.

I guess I'll have to keep working at it, Thank you everyone who's offered advice.
Hah btw, next time you get frustrated.. Just remember, they ain't killing you either.