Prot PvE questions

So I fairly recently started running this guy through a few heroics since I've got a better internet connection, and btw, this is the first time I've played a tank in all the years I've played this game, figured it was time to try it out.

For the most part I haven't found the few heroics I've been in to be too painful for the most part. Though I do have a hard time with keeping track of everything going on occasionally. Is this just something you get used to doing and making sure camera is at max distance? Any addons that are especially helpful for a nub like me?

Looking at my gear is there anything that specifically needs to be reforged badly? I've been through the forums on here and EJ, though it's been since before 5.2 honestly.

Appreciate it.
Overall things look pretty good. Make sure you keep your dodge and parry properly balanced to minimize the diminishing returns on them. You seem like you know what you are doing and how to research a class, which is rare :P

Keeping track of everything is an important part of tanking, if you lose sight of something or don't pay attention, stuff can go wrong quick. I personally do stay at max distance with the camera (though sometimes I wish it would go out even further) and find Tidy Plates: Threat Plates to be one of my favorite add-ons for tanking (and any class, for that matter) There are plenty of great options to choose from for modifying threat system along with floating buffs, debuffs, cast bars and whatnot over enemy plates.

Aside from that, a not necessary - though helpful - addon to keep track of timers and spell cd's would be WeakAuras or PowerAuras. I believe they both do the same thing, and it's just preference from there :)

For reforging, try Reforgelite, an in game reforging (calculator?) with editable stat weights and some presets I think. It works pretty well, and is easy to use, as it does most of the work for you.

I noticed you had Glyph of Hammer of the Righteous glyphed, but I don't find it as useful as others like Final Wrath or Alabaster Shield, especially running heroics where you are probably using HotR more often than CS with larger trash packs. It's preference though, choose what suits you best. Anyways, good luck and I hope you enjoy playing prot!

Edit: Almost forgot! With that ilvl you should start giving LFR a go :) MV especially is quite easy to tank, so don't be afraid!
You have nothing reforged at all, so...

If you're just doing heroic dungeons, you only need 6% hit and 12% expertise. Your hit is fine, then, but you need more expertise. If you start doing raids/LFR, you need to increase them to 7.5% and 15% respectively.

Right now dodge and parry are our worst stats, with dodge being significantly far behind. It's recommended to either stack haste or mastery, with haste being preferred. So, as far as reforging goes, what you want to do is reforge dodge (if possible) or parry (if it doesn't have dodge) to expertise, and then to haste or mastery once expertise is capped. If you're going for haste and an item is hit/mastery or expertise/mastery, reforge the mastery to haste. However, if reforging away from hit or expertise won't put you below their caps, reforge those to haste or mastery instead.

03/26/2013 01:03 AMPosted by Sidders
Make sure you keep your dodge and parry properly balanced to minimize the diminishing returns on them.

That was only barely useful in Cataclysm and it's a complete waste of time now. The diminishing returns are so harsh that the amount of avoidance you'd gain from balancing them is absolutely negligible.