The Beauty of Frost

Death Knight
A lot of people seem to fall into the trap of thinking of Frost as two different specs, and understandably so. Both playstyles have their own rotation, their own gemming/stat priority, and their own weapon choice. This is also why people think of it as 'faceroll', because each rotation seems overly simplistic on paper.

This is the wrong way to think about it. Frost isn't two subspecs. It's one spec. This wasn't true before MoP, but it is now. We now have access to both ToT and MotFW, meaning we no longer have to choose between one or the other. 2H vs DW is a meaningless arguement. To play one style or the other is to only play half the spec, forsaking other.

This is what makes frost so beautifully complex. To play it to its full potential, it requires the player to master two different playstyles and rotations, two ways of managing runes, each playtsyle better for a certain situation. Granted, this does require two separate sets of gear, but imo, it's worth the effort and bag space.

Whenever someone says Frost DK's are faceroll, laugh in their face. They have no idea what they're talking about. No other spec has two different styles baked into one. No other spec is like us.
But it IS 2 different subspecs... You can't play both at the same time.

You contradict yourself in your writeup.
Festerblight/Regular Unholy would be an example of two specs in one. Both utilize the same gear/stat priority, but are two different ways of dealing damage.

Frost would be an example of sub specs.
You can't say that it's the same spec because going between the two requires extensive reforging/ gemming. You can't simply change up your rotation and expect to maximize your dps
Perhaps I wasn't clear in what I was trying to get at. My fault, sorry.

I get you can't play both at the same time. That's not what I was saying. What I was saying is, if you have the gear for it, switch between the two on a fight to fight basis. There are some encounters where 2H's single target is preferable, and some where DW's cleave is just too good. What I'm saying is establish two gear sets, one prioritizing the 2H/haste playstyle, the other prioritizing the DW/mastery playstyle. Get the gear to be able to play both, and master both rotations.

You can't say that it's the same spec because going between the two requires extensive reforging/ gemming. You can't simply change up your rotation and expect to maximize your dps

Not in the middle of an encounter, no. But again, and I realize I failed to specify this in the original post, the idea is to change things up on a fight to fight basis. Obviously, this requires two dps sets, each reforged and gemmed differently, to pull off.

What I'm trying to get at is Frost players should learn, master, and gear up for both playstyles in order to truly maximize their effectiveness, switching to one style or the other based on the fight.
I can play both 2h and DW just fine. Getting different gear for each set that's a bit of a problem.
Lol.
This is a lot of reaching to make frost seem more difficult than it really is. Frost is probably the easiest spec in the game to play. I won't call it faceroll, but it's sure not "beautifully complex."
Correct me if im wrong, but in pvp both styles want to go Mastery > crit > haste as sub stats due to the nature of pvp, time on target and burst.

In pve it's different for both, so it's not so much as an easy weapon swap. I have no idea what sort of difference it makes for 2h frost to go Mastery > crit > haste...

Either way I get what your saying, and I commend you for thinking that way. Even more so if you actually do this and still contribute optimally. I wouldn't call it more complicated, just more tool's in which to know when more cleave damage is going to outweigh a more powerful ST setup.

Good on you OP, good on you.
Frost is a faceroll in pvp, you dont pvp. Not saying I hate it, because I have youtube video of me DW Frost in a random BG just recently.
How is gearing up two different playstyles not subspecs? It's the same idea as switching from a fire mage to a frost mage because it's more suited to the fight. Yes it's still called the same thing but when you're using two completely different rotations and two different gearsets, they may as well be different specs.
...Does this topic have a purpose? You know, aside from being completely stupid.
Stat weights and ability priorities would like to have a word with you.
Well you could try switching from 2h to dw w/ a macro in mid combat
I guess you would technically be playing both since you could go DW for frost strike dumps and
switch to 2h for Obliterates. You would look very silly (And reset swing timers?).
The beauty of frost begins and ends with huge obliterate crits.

You contradict yourself in your writeup.

Exactly. I enjoy being this diverse of a class, but the reality is, it requires completely different gems, reforging, etc. So if you happen to have an entirely different set of gear equal to each other or close in ilvl, than yes, it's viable to switch between the two and would be very fun...

And

THIS.

I've played both specs throughout MoP and 2H is where it's at. Howling blast still crushes dreams as 2H. No sense switching to wimpy little 1Hers.
If I tried to use a mastery heavy reforge as 2 handed frost I'd be hurting myself in single target since Howling Blast is used so little. Using a more haste heavy setup may not hurt DW Frost is doesn't quite help it either. It doesn't need as much haste as 2 handed. It's only pvp that gets more freedom to swap between them. Even on my lock I can attempt to jump between say affliction & destruction and while it's doable it's in no way ideal.

Frost is just unique cause it's more like two in one.
I enjoy frost over any other spec for us DK's, i mastered both gameplay styles and have a blast switching play styles as needed throughout my raiding. I have the numbers down so that i'm able to reforge mid raid and im used to it. Although i do wish they had the same stat priority so i can just switch weapons and save some gold xP

but should really get different gear for it