Ret Paladin Gearing in 5.2 (too much hit/exp)

Paladin
Anyone else feel like between the green hit/haste gems and new gear available in 5.2 LFR and Shado-Pan Assault quartermaster there is just way to much hit and expertise floating around? It's annoying. I have my eye on the new 522 VP legs and there's 100 expertise on them. With the two trinkets I have I am way over hit cap and do not need another 1000 expertise. I'm sure it'll all pan out when I have the 522 gear but in the mean time, what a waste!
Not really. The gear can still be reforged, and the nice thing is some of the Ret gear works really nice for Prot. That 522 trinket is pretty awesome, for example.
Yeah, I'm starting to think it's actually gonna be a hard numbers decision to actually match blue sockets this tier, unless we avoid Ji-Kun's feather - which, on paper, looks to be an amazing trinket. I do agree that a lot of it is probably left over itemization from T14 gear that hasn't been replaced, but you Humans have it bad on expertise with two good swords (one with hit!) and Draenei get it rough with a hit trink and a hit sword.
As a tank, I can't wait to get my hands on that expertise trinket and free up a few reforges for mastery!

You mean Prot Paladin Gearing in 5.2 (hooray hit/exp)
lol. I think it will get better as we move up to 522 gear. It's just pretty rough early on as I hate wasting stats on excess hit/exp.
Yeah, I just got two new pieces with huge chunks of hit and expertise on them last night and still managed to stay down at the caps. We'll see how things go with more gear and one of those hit/exp trinks.
I'm over the hit cap, at 8.16% currently with every hit on my gear reforged to something else. Granted, I do have one green gem with 160 haste/hit but getting an extra 160 haste and missing out on the socket bonus isn't worth it.

I've been trying to get the 2h weapon from the Council (every week I've used 3 coins on them) but no luck so far... but I noticed it was quite a bit of hit on it. I can obviously reforge some of it out, but that will put me even more over the hit cap. I'm hoping I can get rid of some of my other hit pieces, but we'll see.

I'm fine with expertise, I'm still able to stay about the hit cap with the expertise trinket from the shado-pan assault.
I'm over the hit cap, at 8.16% currently with every hit on my gear reforged to something else. Granted, I do have one green gem with 160 haste/hit but getting an extra 160 haste and missing out on the socket bonus isn't worth it.

I've been trying to get the 2h weapon from the Council (every week I've used 3 coins on them) but no luck so far... but I noticed it was quite a bit of hit on it. I can obviously reforge some of it out, but that will put me even more over the hit cap. I'm hoping I can get rid of some of my other hit pieces, but we'll see.

I'm fine with expertise, I'm still able to stay about the hit cap with the expertise trinket from the shado-pan assault.

I'm right there with you on the weapon from council, but hoping that RNG will love me and drop Greatsword of Frozen Hells
04/02/2013 09:27 AMPosted by Ussil

You mean Prot Paladin Gearing in 5.2 (hooray hit/exp)

Pretty much. It's kind of silly, we have two Ret Pallies and an UH DK in the guild and I still get a lot of first dibs on Str/Haste gear just because they don't want to break set bonuses or can't take any more Hit/Exp or something silly.

And that's why I have 11k Haste rating as a tank.

As a tank, I can't wait to get my hands on that expertise trinket and free up a few reforges for mastery!

HASTE!!!

I mean, Haste isn't astonishingly better than Mastery like most claim, but there is a large enough gap that there is no disputing it.
yea I am also feeling the pain of too much hit. im over 10% hit currently and im debating on taking out my green gems for just pure haste or str gems despite losing the socket bonus. any advice on what i should do personally?
I was at nearly 10% hit and 9% exp before getting a couple of upgrades, and replacing some of my green gems on pieces with less than stellar bonuses. Glad I'm not a spacegoat!
any advice on what i should do personally?

Strictly speaking, you need to fix your gems in general; you appear to be way beyond the point where haste-biased gemming should be superior to strength-biased gemming. But to the hit issue, I think you're just gonna have to wait for upgrades as pretty much all your blue sockets look to be worth matching.
Items should pan out to be balance as you gear up in more 522 items.

Finding a balance with with items is key, Ive notice I have had to reforge almost every time I have got an upgrade.

It is all about finding the balance with items you pick up and gradually setting your gear in.
Items should shado-pan out to be balance as you gear up in more 522 items.

Fixed
Fixed

That was so bad. Not before my first cup of caffeine, please.
I got some pretty nice upgrades in the last few days and regardless of how much I reforge I have over 10% hit. I ran my character on AskMrRobot just to see and its still having my gem hit/haste and hit enchant on my cloak. Is there something that Im missing as far as being over cap?

someone told me that it increases "white" damage...any thoughts?
Hit does nothing past the cap. That's why we call it a cap. I'm not especially familiar with AskMrRobot, but probably it just has a list of recommended gems/enchants and doesn't know (or isn't properly configured) to adjust that if you can't actually use the hit.
AMR is not reliable; it's recommending haste/hit gems because that's what it's set to do, and would never consider haste/stam gems for a DPS that wants to shuck some hit. And some idiot probably decided the hit enchant for cloak was the best cloak enchant for Ret since they also baseline weigh crit as our worst stat - but the crit enchant is superior in practice to the hit enchant, especially over cap.

I think what your friend told you about hit and white damage should be clarified: hit beyond 7.5% increase white damage for dual-wield specs, since dual-wield auto-attacks have a much higher cap (22%).
AMR is not reliable; it's recommending haste/hit gems because that's what it's set to do, and would never consider haste/stam gems for a DPS that wants to shuck some hit. And some idiot probably decided the hit enchant for cloak was the best cloak enchant for Ret since they also baseline weigh crit as our worst stat - but the crit enchant is superior in practice to the hit enchant, especially over cap.

No, AMR is just doing something weird with Niia's character. When I put myself in, it suggests the crit cloak enchant and using pure haste gems in blue sockets, as would be expected. I tried putting Niia in and it gave me the same results she saw, and I have no idea why.