Demonology PvP

Warlock
Post Limit:
Demonology is my favorite spec for PvP and I had a few questions on it.. I've had a lot of trouble in PvP recently due to not hitting for much but I recently got a PvP weapon and it's certainly helped a lot.

Anyway, a few questions I would like answers for are:

1# Which Grimoire should I be using? I like to sometimes use Sacrifice on top of my other CD's if I need someone to drop fast but Service can be really nice too for an additional stun/silence or whatever else I may need at the time.

2# Is blood horror any good? It seems to be alright in BG's but I've heard that it's absolutely terrible against anyone that is competent end game.

3# Is it worth it to use Chaos Wave anymore? Its damage was nerfed but so was its fury cost..

4# Are aura's worth using anymore now that they can be dispelled and in worst cases.. spell stolen?

5# What should I actually be trinketing out of now? Sacrificial Pact seems to handle mitigate most damage if not all the damage I generally take within one moderately long stun (4-6 seconds)

6# Is it worth it to use the Hand of Gul'dan Glyph that allows for 70% snare potential but removes one of the charges?

7# Is it normal to feel like I'm being facerolled when a hunter uses Stampede? (I believe that's what it is) I seem to lose a lot of HP very quickly.

8# Is Mannaroth's Fury a good choice for BG's as opposed to Kil'jadean's Cunning?
I can empathize with your feeling of not dealing much damage... until recently. Having almost totally geared myself with a Malevolent set, my damage is much more comfortable in most cases.

To answer your questions from my perspective:
1) I prefer Sacrifice, mostly for the added 30% damage to common spells, and the fact that it's easier for me to pay attention to the battle as a whole without having a pet to direct.

2) I don't like Blood Horror as much as I loved Blood Fear, but I'm using it anyway. I try to keep it up at all times, and if a melee tries to single me out, I find it a very useful bit of extra time to create some distance (assuming they don't trinket out, or are immune). I certainly find it better than the other options in the tier.

3) Chaos Wave may have been nerfed, but it still does some hefty damage. It's by far my favorite attack.

4) Auras are great if you're in a cluster &*^% and want to add some support to your team's end of things. I wouldn't worry about them being dispelled or stolen - I can't recall EVER having had my auras dispelled.

5) Using the trinket is something you need to judge for yourself for the individual encounter, and the present needs of the war.

6) I feel like the Hand of Gul'dan glyph isn't so fancy... The slow effect stacks, so if you hit two consecutive times, you're at the same level. If you ask me, removing a charge is going to decrease your DPS for not much extra utility, if any.

7) I feel the same way. However, I also stack PvP Power, and I find I'm a bit more squishy anyway. However, if you're in a team with a decent healer or two, and your team is smart enough to protect them and kill the opposing healers, you shouldn't have to worry about that so much. Rare, though.

8) I recently fell in love with Mannoroth's Fury over Kil'jaedan's Cunning. Before the last patch, you could negate the speed debuff by starting to cast just before moving - THEN I found it useful. Now, however, you're probably getting rooted and slowed enough without putting the debuff on yourself.

Best thing about Mannoroth, I think, is being able to 1) Use Hellfire to gain fury moderately fast/blast flags in AB and what-not, and 2) Use Chaos Wave to deal nifty damage to a much wider area.

Along with that last bit, my advice to you is to make sure you're using Dark Soul when you 1) know you can survive long enough to utilize it, and 2) need to break someone fast. I also use Synapse Springs, which seems to add a much needed edge to critical chance.

Hope I was helpful.
Walk with Sithis.
1. GoSup for more dps and 25% heal reduction, or Gosev for extra CC. I use GoSup for less keybinds.

2. yes im gonna say its awful (no i havnt tried it, but anyone who knows a lock will counter it easily). I use HoT if I have GoSev so to not DR on the felguard stuns. also love how melee reduces the cd

3. situational. if theres a large group stacked and dark soul is up, it can be devastating.

4. the nerf sucks, but yes i still use them. remember, you can stack a curse with and aura; this is amazing utility.

5. trinket plus unbound will. i eat no cc longer then 2 sec, unless its a sap

6. never used the glyph. im pretty sure you can spam the 2 charges to get the snare to stack, so i never understood why this glyph exists..

7. Sac pact, or Howl of terror, then /lol. I dont think it lasts very long and it has a 5 min CD if i remember correctly.

8. i believe MF is the most accepted one to take, as you have tons of mobility in demon form. Me, i always use KC. theres nothing better then casting fear while kitting a melee and they just cant get in range to kick.

also i pretty much never use shadow bolt (its not even key bound)
heres some helpful macros:

Fel Flame in caster form, Touch of Chaos in demon form-
#showtooltip [nostance] Fel Flame; Metamorphosis: Touch of Chaos
/petattack
/cast [nostance] Fel Flame
/cast [stance] Touch of Chaos

double curse-
#showtooltip
/cast [nostance] Curse of the Elements
/cast [stance] Aura of Enfeeblement

I dont want unbound will to kill me-
#showtooltip Unbound Will
/cast unbound Will
/cast Unending Resolve
/cast Dark Regeneration
/use Healthstone

portal is a pain in the !@#$-
#showtooltip [mod:ctrl] Demonic Circle: Summon; [nomod] Demonic Circle: Teleport
/cast [mod:ctrl] Demonic Circle: Summon
/cast [nomod] Demonic Circle: Teleport

this glyph is broken!-
#showtooltip Imp swarm
/cast Imp Swarm
My thoughts....

1) As a demo lock you should NEVER use GrimSac (my opinion) If you sacrifice your demon you are wasting some of that mastery bonus. Beyond that, for PvP having an Axe Toss ready on a key bind is critical in killing off a healer or creating some space between you and a melee class.

2) Blood Horror has its uses but I find that almost half the time the melee in question has some method to ignore its effects. I prefer to use Burning Rush. That in conjunction with Demonic Circle allows you to create a lot of distance between you and your attacker quickly (and the Axe Toss stun mentioned above!)

3) Probably preference here. I would rather save the demonic fury unless there are a ton of enemies grouped up for a single hit...

4) Auras are still worth it to me. Most people aren't going to bother with an aura and would focus on more important spells/effects to deal with. However, I don't make it a priority to get the aura up, it is more of an after thought.

5) I recommend never trink out of stuns. For one, they don't last long and secondly, you have made the wise decision to use SacPac which will soak a majority of the damage you take during stuns anyway. I judge using the trink if I am either on the verge of dealing a killing blow, trying to save a team mate (healer!) or am about to die myself AND have a chance to survive if I trink. Normally these occur during fears or polymorph.

6) I would advise against using that glyph... I prefer to have 2 charges for my convenience. You should of course be using the glyph that allows you to target its use.

7) I sort of agree that this ability seems a bit OP, but with SacPac and ShadowFury, you can usually survive it and slow the pack long enough to work that hunter down. Use Demonic Circle and Burning Rush to kite as much as possible!

8) If you are using demon form often then I would say Mannoroth's Fury. You get more net demonic fury with hellfire which allows for greater up time in demon form. When you are rocking demon form, your main attack is instant so you can move as much as you like. On the other hand, if you find yourself in caster form more often than not, I recommend sticking with Kil'jadean's Cunning to maintain mobility during those LONG shadow bolt cast...

Good topics of discussion! Now my addition to the question list...

9) Glyph of Demon Hunting: Worth having it and using it in BGs?
Thank you for the help Sivaaszin,Moorefloand Zaorish! I really appreciate it. I still have some gearing up to do, but I'm getting there. I'll keep your advice in mind as I continue to practice!
ok so this blew my mind, I thought you needed chaos wave to burst? If you don't do it then what is the burst rotation for Demos?

this glyph is broken!-
#showtooltip Imp swarm
/cast Imp Swarm

Glyph of Imp Swarm works fine. The spell just shows up in the general tab of your spellbook.
03/28/2013 08:56 PMPosted by Curtens
ok so this blew my mind, I thought you needed chaos wave to burst? If you don't do it then what is the burst rotation for Demos?

I haven't been playing demo as much as I used to, but whenever I wanted to dish out some damage, I would pop DS, Imp Swarm, GrimServ (if specced), and the main portion of my burst, Meta... When you have your CDs up and you are spamming ToC in demon form, your dps skyrockets
Demonology is my favorite as well.

And you are correct, it is in a bad place now on account of the recent extreme nerfs to Corruption and Doom. Our dots are terribly weak....

Nevertheless I enjoy it. I'll address some of your questions:

1# Which Grimoire should I be using?
Service, without question. Can use whatever combination you want, but I find myself most often using Felguard + Felguard. Sometimes in arena its Succubus + Felguard. The utility of having that burst on demand, and instant stun, is enormous. Combine that with your CDs and it's lights out for somebody. Or just enormous ae damage...

2# Is blood horror any good? It seems to be alright in BG's but I've heard that it's absolutely terrible against anyone that is competent end game.
Dunno, never used it, only use Unbound Will (I run dual dmg trinkets)

3# Is it worth it to use Chaos Wave anymore?
I almost never use it, sometimes I do for burst if I'm working to finish someone off.

4# Are aura's worth using anymore now that they can be dispelled and in worst cases.. spell stolen?
Use them if I have an abundance of DF.

6# Is it worth it to use the Hand of Gul'dan Glyph that allows for 70% snare potential but removes one of the charges?
NO. I've never used it but it seems quite apparent it would severely reduce the damage and DF-generating potential of the spell. But it is DEFINITELY worth using the MINOR Hand glyph. Being able to center your Hand o' Gul'dan over a group of enemies is enormously awesome. Combine with Mann Fury.

7# Is it normal to feel like I'm being facerolled when a hunter uses Stampede? (I believe that's what it is) I seem to lose a lot of HP very quickly.
Yes I think it is. I tend to hide when they do that. If necessary I go DA, use defensive CDs (I run Dark Pact) and maybe even use DS (since it's great for defense if you're in DA, and keep in mind if you have Service you can still pull out nice burst with Imps and Felguards while you protect yourself with DA).

8# Is Mannaroth's Fury a good choice for BG's as opposed to Kil'jadean's Cunning?
Absolutely... It's a huge bonus for your ae, and so awesome combined with Minor Hand glyph.
9) Glyph of Demon Hunting: Worth having it and using it in BGs?

i would have to say yes.
but use responsibly, and learn its limitations