PvP 5.3 and PVE weapons

Monk
So, Monks had a lot of changes made in 5.3. In 5.1 they were in serious need of help. Did we get that help in the last patch? How is WW and MW fairing in this new season. I've noticed their popularity raised a little in 2200+, is that mainly because of all the warrior / mage nerfs or did the buffs fix our glaring issues?

On a different not, it would seem to make logical sense that healing monks should use staves for any potential fistweaving they will be doing. However, I'm noticing a number of high end MW monks using Spirit swords and off hands. Is the difference in damage output from two handers to one handers not that large as to where ilvl wins out, or are they doing it wrong?

And If anybody knows of a decent 5.2 updated guide for the new changes to MW, could you please point the way?

Edit: had patch numbers wrong.
04/03/2013 04:24 PMPosted by Risingsoul
Is the difference in damage output from two handers to one handers not that large as to where ilvl wins out, or are they doing it wrong?
Well after the recent change to how MW is effected by weapon DPS. The difference isn't that large.

I've noticed their popularity raised a little in 2200+, is that mainly because of all the warrior / mage nerfs or did the buffs fix our glaring issues?
Depends entirely who they play with to be quite honest. WW got a lot better even if their damage was gimped, and while MW got some great QoL it only raised them up a little since they still have the glaring problem of being insanely easy to control by the other team (Lack of CC protection) which hopefully gets fixed in 5.3.
04/03/2013 04:24 PMPosted by Risingsoul
Did we get that help in the last patch?

Overall, we got balanced, not buffed at all. Our utility is better but our dmg got worse. our dmg in 5.1 was much better.

I've noticed their popularity raised a little in 2200+

Maybe, problably they are MW monks. They are still good, but still lack CC defenses.
For windwalker: The damage is "high" sustained during trinket/TEB for ~ 15-20 seconds. There's no real "super burst" moves for monks besides TEB + procs + crits. Therefore, you typically need fairly long CC chains on the healer to kill an enemy unless your teammate is pulling forth the majority of the burst needed. Survivability is in a better place with Nimble Brew and Ring of Peace, but we still offer little passive defense; a stun burst that sticks on us will do more damage on us than any other class in the game. Paralysis is much stronger now with being physical and the glyph removing DOTs, allowing us the flexibility to CC dps much more. Definitely viable, but probably not top tier.