Priest changes in 5.4, how to help shadow pvp

Priest
1 2 3 10 Next
These are ideas that would be nice to implement, NOT all of them. Do not think that this thread is trying to make priests godlike once more, just extra ways to make us more useful.

Nerfs to Shadow Priests so far
So far in mists of pandara blizzard has nerfed spectral guise, phantasm, dispersion, halo, psyfiend a lot, life swap and MD.

Spectral Guise was usable in stuns, Fade gave a damage reduction on use without the need of the glyph, the talent on use made you immune to spells for 3 seconds, Psyfiend spammed instant fears on people, after the first nerf it casted the fears, after that it then only casted it on two people, never the same person also not as soon as it is spawned, and currently it is slightly bugged, you have to be in combat with the target or have hit it recently or else it will not even use fear, after that, it then increased cast time, reduced health several times and reduced the length it was around for. Dispersion was usable even when locked out of shadow, halo was a radar for stealth. MD 'Mass Dispel' of course having a .5 second cast previous to mop it didn't have a cool down, and it still only dispels one thing as shadow. Life Swap was usable in shadow up until 5.3

New thought for Psyfiend
Instead of summoning a pet that will simply be CCd / kicked / CS etc on higher rated comps, you can completely remove it, giving priests two charges of a cast able ranged controlled fear with an internal cooldown, it could work similar to how darksoul is going to work in 5.4. I don't see this as being op, its going to be like warlocks, same cast time duration etc. Psyfiend is useful for wasting a CC on and when being trained but in my honest opinion it would be more useful having control of the fears. Ad least give the option to glyph it.

Phantasm
Phantasm is an incredible move on a pretty short CD, however you will go in a root, freedom and get insta rooted. IMO to be up to scratch with feathers in 5.4, this should be a 4 second un-hindered freedom.

A New Phantasm
The old style of phantasm, when used you would become immune to magic effects for 3 seconds while having a freedom. My new thought is, instead of buffing fade for this, how about simply replacing fade with a baseline freedom / damage reduction (the glyph), and add a new move called Phantasm, this would be on a 45 second - 1 min CD making you immune to magic effects for 3 seconds, no freedom, no damage reduction, just a 3 second immunity to magic.

Dispelling as a shadow priest
Against melee cleave comps, dispelling has become an incredible feat to pull off for shadow, the pushback from MD is ridiculous, a 1.5 second baseline cast and a melee / hunter free casting on you, the cast is pushed up to about 2.8-3 seconds, with mind numbing / necrotic de buff ad least 4 seconds, to then to duke the grips / gouges or silencing kicking stuns etc is almost impossible and the CCd target is usually out of it... unless not being targeted, however a good hunter will not trap unless in a good spot to. An easy way to make MD a useful solution to remove CC from people when being trained is. Put MD on a 15-20 second CD, .5 / .75 second cast. OR Keep it at an 8 second CD, make it 1 / 1.5 seconds, and suffer 0% pushback. Mind numbing / necro will also not affect this.

Shadow Orbs
Psychic Horror, if this move was to have no orb require meant it would be a great boost to our utility and offensive play style. We need to have shadow orbs for either utility or pressure, not both. Obtaining shadow orbs with Divine Insight is very easy, but you cant rely on procs for CC.
Another idea is to have a world of glory based move with shadow orbs. You spend 3 orbs and gain 45% health back. 15% - 30% - 45%

Shadow mana regeneration in PvP with a competent healer as your opponent
I just cant do anything any more when I have to off heal due to pressure, and the opposing healer is doing fine with his healing and can spare 3 seconds of fear from dispelling or even mass dispelling my dots off him and his team, my mana seems to run away from me, I can pop a Sfiend for mana return, but that's a waste of a CD, I could pop a hymn of hope although you do not have 6 seconds of channelling without pressure.

Flash Heal for shadow
My opinion with this is, we need flash heal to keep us in shadowform, reduce the mana cost of flash heal by 25%... This means we can stay offensive with a decent amount of mana even when being trained, if I am out of Sform, I'm taking increased damage, my mana is going to hell and my pressure is 0.

Mind Spike
I've seen a lot of statements made about mind spike, be able to cast while moving, not remove dots, glyph of mind spike to stack with FDCL. Other ideas like; if you cast mind spike for an equal duration of one channelled mind flay the damage would be equal. Personally I think some of these would be nice to implement seeing that we don't use mind spike that often, unless your locked out of shadow / running FDCL.

Different outlook on Dispersion, to make priests more durable
Similar to how BM hunters, mages with cold snap and rogues work now, Dispersion could be made to have two charges, lasting 5 seconds 90% reduced damage unable to attack, remove the glyph of dispersions CD lowering it by 15 seconds, and increase the base CD by 10-30 seconds.

Glyphs to buff
With the new nerf to spriest damage taken, the 60% armour is nilly useless against warrior / rogue comps, or hunters with sunder armour. So, you could buff inner fire glyph to 60% armour, instead of 50%.
Glyph of Scourge Imprisonment-reduces the cast time of shackle undead by 1 second, this isn't used as much as it should, making this into an instant cast with a small CD would be awesome.
Glyph of Psychic Horror- Reduces the cooldown of psychic horror by 10 seconds, IMO this should also add 1/3 of a second duration per orb.
Glyph of Mind Flay-IMO you should gain 60% movement speed increase for 3 seconds, each tick refreshed the duration.
(the reason these glyphs should be buffed is, they are either not being used enough, might be on par with other said glyphs when buffed or they are decent but our utility as shadow can improve a lot more with said buff)

Glyphs to make baseline
Fade - 15% reduced damage on use.
Leap of Faith - removing roots / slows.
Dispersion - Reduces the cooldown of Dispersion by 15 seconds.
Fear Ward - reduces the duration and cooldown of Fear Ward.
(the reason these glyphs should be baseline is due to the fact that our utility would increase without our heals / damage being made insane)

(5.4 Changes)

General

• Leap of Faith no longer has a facing requirement.
• Shadow Word: Death now deals 15% more damage.
• Shadow Word: Pain now deals 25% more damage.

Major Glyphs

• Glyph of Dark Binding's effect is now baseline and has been replaced with Glyph of Focused Mending.
• Glyph of Focused Mending causes Prayer of Mending to only bounce between the target and the caster.
• Glyph of Fear Ward now reduces the cooldown on Fear Ward without reducing its duration.
• Glyph of Reflective Shield now causes Power Word: Shield to reflect 70% of the damage absorbed (up from 45%).

Class Armor

• Shadow PvP 4-piece set bonus is no longer an area-of-effect and only affects the character that dispels Vampiric Touch.

Shadow

• Shadowform now increases the Priest's armor by 60%, but no longer reduces all damage taken by 15%.
• Shadowy Apparitions now creates a shadowy version of the Priest that floats towards the target and deals damage. The apparitions are now treated as a missile, and is no longer an attackable creature.
• Vampiric Touch now deals 20% more damage.

Talents

• Angelic Feather now increases allies' movement speed by 80%, up from 60%, and feathers placed in the world have a duration of 10 minutes (up from 5 minutes).
• From Darkness, Comes Light :Shadow: Now has a 20% chance to activate its effect for Shadow Priests (up from a 15% chance).
• Mindbender now deals 10% more damage, and mana return has been increased by 20%.
• Psyfiend no longer benefits from Haste, and its health has been reduced by 75%, but fixed a bug where Psyfiend wasn't being affected by base Resilience.
• Twist of Fate's damage and healing threshold to activate has been increased to 35% (up from 20%).

PvP

• Base Resilience now reduces damage players deal to others players by 72% (up from 65%).
• Battle Fatigue now reduces healing for players that are engaged in PvP combat by 55% (up from 45%).
• Equipping any pair of PvP trinkets from Season 12 or later will now grant a 10% reduction in damage taken from other players.

Psyfiend in 5.4
Currently in 5.4 PTR with full pvp gear on in arena psyfiend has roughly 9-12k HP, the apparently increase to pvp resilience that was added to psyfiend to make it more durable is false, it was already granted 65% base resi even without the nerf, this will now get one shotted by any instant cast attack.

4 Piece pvp set bonus nerf
The need to nerf this is highly questionable, is blizzard attempting to balance this like affliction? well affliction obtains a 3 second silence and the damage crits for 100k when dispelling, not to mention the ease of re-dotting as an affliction warlock

Since of late, there have been some apparent 'updates' or 'fixes' as blizzard would like to call them, this has resulted in a 10% damage nerf to SW:P. PoM is now also affected by battle fatigue making Spriest off healing and minor dot damage much less appreciated when being trained.

HOWEVER. With the mind bender buff, vsing heavy interrupt comps or prevention of casting comps in 3s, it is possible to still do nice amounts of damage. Running with a heavy bursty class such as pally or rogue, popping on use pvp trink with mind bender and a 3 orb DP will still do quite a lot of damage especially with a grievous weapon.
This will be relying on SW:P for instant MBs from DI.

These are ideas that would be nice to implement, NOT all of them. Do not think that this thread is trying to make priests godlike once more, just extra ways to make us more useful.
Spectral Guise should not break so easily on dots. A damage % should be given until you are removed from this move. 10-15% or so.

With all of our talents, I personally think that desperate prayer should be buffed slightly, it isn't even a viable option in 3s for a spriest.

Vampiric Touch IMO needs a buff. With a 4 piece set bonus of pvp gear I think VT should have a chance of becoming an instant cast from MB hits and SW:P ticks. OR When dispelled it should give you an instant cast VT to use.

The threat of dispelling VT has become an easy question now or days for healers. Perhaps they could be threatened by a mana burn style of move when dispelling. Such as... VT; When dispelled the healer will be feared for three seconds and have 5% base mana removed and granted to the priest. 5% of 300,000 = 15,000 mana.
Granting an instant cast VT.

Luethum@Ragnaros

This player had a brilliant idea for instant dotting.
-Requires 1 shadow orb; applies SW:P and VT on the target without casting, using one global cooldown and lasting the normal duration, causing 100% normal damage.

This would be a perfect move to have, it takes away your DP damage so it is not OP to the max, it helps when applying pressure. It requires some skill to use, perhaps giving it a 10 second CD or something. IDK but it does sound very useful for priests.
04/12/2013 05:54 PMPosted by Kryptkilla
Also maybe psychic terror doesn't cost shadow orbs?

I do agree with at least this much. Shadow Orbs either need to be a resource for damage or a resource for utility, not both.
Good thing you didn't say this is a slap in the face.
I am considering to re-roll from this though, lol, I would need to run with a frost mage and resto druid to be decent, or adleast two hectic peelers lol, our damage is fine, so I don't want them to buff it, just more utility.
Don't really have a definitive opinion on all the other things, but what's wrong with dks doing high damage? We do t exactly have the best utility.
I ment it more on the lines of, we got consecutive nerfs to mobility, while you were getting nothing and then 'BAM' damage buff, out of no where lol, and with a good peeler / healer you do not die. Also conversion was and still is OP haha, AMS / IBF, are great, but I agree you do need a freedom or something, or even a sprint, make that talent that you don't get slowed past 70% and when you use the speed buff you don't get below 100% a borderline move at 60 or something.
I ment it more on the lines of, we got consecutive nerfs to mobility, while you were getting nothing and then 'BAM' damage buff, out of no where lol, and with a good peeler / healer you do not die. Also conversion was and still is OP haha, AMS / IBF, are great, but I agree you do need a freedom or something, or even a sprint, make that talent that you don't get slowed past 70% and when you use the speed buff you don't get below 100% a borderline move at 60 or something.

IBF is terrible, and we have the speed thing you were talking about but we have to spec into it giving up chillblains and asphyxiate. But I don't want to derail.
I know haha, I ment you should have it as a normal move, and IBF is good for stuns and being pressured.
It wouldn't suck to make the Divine Insight proc chance with SW:Pain up to 10% or adleast possible to stack like the VT MS procs. sort your !@#$ out blizz... -_-
It wouldn't suck to make the Divine Insight proc chance with SW:Pain up to 10% or adleast possible to stack like the VT MS procs. sort your !@#$ out blizz... -_-

Stacking procs wouldn't be terrible, but I think increasing the proc rate would throw it out of balance in PVE.
yeah definitely
I made a video for this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJXgsJ_QFAQ
Shadow started MoP OP but after the previous 15 nerfs in the patches and hotfixes, I think it's quite enough. It's getting beyond ridiculous.

I don't think any class has been singled out for more consistent 100% nerfs than shadow priests this expansion, and I think it has to be too much pretty soon.
I made a video for this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJXgsJ_QFAQ

@Truewan
So you think it should be nerfed because bad players use it wrong? I thought it would of ad least been an op use of it, not something silly, and is not just that, it is the fact that they nerfed mass dispel 3 times, first to make it an 8 second CD, then to make it not dispel bubble / block, now you have to glyph it to make it dispel them lol, obviously holy / disc still get a .5 second cast, and I know 1 second doesn't seem like much, but with lag, and people trying to CC you. 1 second is quite a lot, a blind can be put out in that 1 second, it is going to hit hard, and now we will need to get that glyph and waste a VERY important glyph spot, as shadow priest pvp glyphs are basically if you will survive or not, possibly more important then talents. And it is the constant nerfing to it as well, they nerfed the last tier for priests, psyfiend 3 times, spectral guise and phantasm so they are not op anymore, yeah spectral guise is handy, but if you are lagging and attempting to get out of a clone / sheep or something, it will not instantly drop the target like shadowmeld / vanish / improved invis / prowl / stealth do.
Truewan thinks everything should be nerfed.
Pretty much lol, has no idea what he is talking about. but yeah they keep nerfing us
Oh wow two people actually took me seriously lololol.
IBF is terrible, and we have the speed thing you were talking about but we have to spec into it giving up chillblains and asphyxiate. But I don't want to derail.

12 seconds of stun immunity is terrible? Wow. Okay.

04/12/2013 07:12 PMPosted by Kryptkilla
I ment it more on the lines of, we got consecutive nerfs to mobility, while you were getting nothing and then 'BAM' damage buff, out of no where lol, and with a good peeler / healer you do not die. Also conversion was and still is OP haha,

This pretty much made my head explode. I can't read the devs' minds, but I think the damage buff that "came out of nowhere" was intended to compensate the damage lost to DKs (T14, 2P nerf). Conversion is OP haha? I do casual PvP on a Shadow Priest, DK... couple other classes. So far I've had no problems putting out enough damage to plow right over Conversion healing... same with Warrior's Second Wind (the free version of Conversion).

Anyway, to get back on topic, I'm also annoyed with some of the nerfs to Shadow.