Pet Battle Accuracy Changes in Patch 5.3

Pet Battles
Prev 1 4 5 6 Next
For a truly bad team to win I can't imagine what kind of luck it would take, I am sure it has happened but it has to be extremely rare.

I read what you've posted here and other places about the subject. But for the record, you didn't actually quote anyone in that post, though I know you were replying to someone else. :P

It does happen, and if you PvP w/ any amount of frequency, it happens often enough that a team that you should flat-out defeat wins due to pure RNG.

I'm not talking about a terrible team, but if the "lesser" team is even slightly competitive, it can often come down to who was more unlucky w/ the dice rolls to decide the victor.

That isn't to say that I'm against variance altogether, as I also said previously. I am just against its current form where the variance is baked into every single attack you can possibly make. That's why I prefer the changes being made by Blizzard to at least give us a better idea of what may occur when we choose to attack.

I respect your opinions, I'm simply saying that I disagree that it's as "good" a thing as you guys are making it out to sound.

Perhaps I'm just weird about it, but I don't feel good at all when my opponent loses a match simply because the dice screwed him over on an attack that should have landed when I don't have any sort of accuracy debuffs up. It's an extremely empty victory. I'm sure my opponent can't feel any better about it, either.
It does happen, and if you PvP w/ any amount of frequency, it happens often enough that a team that you should flat-out defeat wins due to pure RNG.

Define should flat out beat? Is that something arbitrary that you know? You have had teams you hard counter beat you on a regular basis? The odds of a hard countered team/bad quailty pets beating a top quality counter team are so miniscule. Have you lost slightly more even matches that you would win a majority of the time against, I am sure. Did you win a majority of them anyway, I am sure of that as well.
Not on a regular basis, no. But often enough to matter.

Going into a head to head match on the last 2 pets, and you suddenly miss 3 attacks in a row even though you hit them (strong) and they hit you normal, so you lose. Having a Supercharged Laser dodged by a moth only to slammed w/ Moth Dust and then outsped on your last turn, so you lose. Missing a crucial stun only to watch your opponent heal back up to full and win.

That sort of thing.

I never said anything about the quality of the pets.

You are adding in a lot of arbitrary conditions that I never mentioned. "A hard countered team beating a top quality counter team"?

That's quite different than simply losing matches that you should reasonably have in the bag due to random misses / dodges, which is what I was talking about.

Either way, I wasn't posting to argue w/ you. I was simply making a differing opinion heard, so that Blizzard knows that not everyone feels the same way you do, if they are paying attention at all.

You can feel free continue trying to shout me down if you like, it won't change how I feel about things. 5.3 is a step in a better direction, imo.

/shrug
Instead of misses/dodges, I'd rather we have "glancing blows" that deal 50% damage.

It wouldn't be crippling to the point that you basically hit the pass button for a turn, but it would still be something to shake up the outcome, if Bliz considers it absolutely necessary.
I hope things with a chance to stun get a lower chance to hit. I've never struggled with the Darkmoon Faire pet battle, but today is a whole other story. I'm on my fifth attempt. RNG is in his favor for sure, when all his "chance to stun" attacks are getting their stun >.<

Edit: Can something be done about stuns and going first? The monkey is faster than my pet, and uses his hard stun. Not only do I not get to hit that turn, or the next, but because he is faster, he gets a third hit in before I can do a thing. By that point, most pets are dead. I think an adjustment should be made for pets with hard stuns.
Edit: Can something be done about stuns and going first? The monkey is faster than my pet, and uses his hard stun. Not only do I not get to hit that turn, or the next, but because he is faster, he gets a third hit in before I can do a thing. By that point, most pets are dead. I think an adjustment should be made for pets with hard stuns.

You want an adjustment made to all pets w/ stuns, because one NPC w/ an epic quality pet is faster than whatever you're using right now?

<.<
Hmmm....while I don't play PVP, and am a noob in general to WOW, it occurs to me that in real life, combat is not simply a matter of who has the greatest skill or weaponry, but chance. In martial arts a great fighter can be defeated by one who, by and large, is inferior.

I've seen real fights where one fighter has the other fighter half unconscious and gets knocked out by a wild punch, or missing when seeking to finish a stunned opponent, so I think it is not unwarranted to incorporate this sort of dynamic to this game. A well thrown technique can fail to land every time it is thrown, due to dodging or blocking. Even the best miss landing blows, and sometimes several times in a row. It happens in reality, in combat there is no surety.

In WOW the percentage of blows that land, and do damage, are far higher than they ever would be in reality, because the zone that gets hit is cylindrical rather than the shape of a body, mitigating this by adding in chance is needful, or this would be just a well illustrated version of Pong. It surely is frustrating when the opponent gets the upper hand, but frustration is part of what generates excitement. Where's the interest in being assured of victory before you begin playing?

That's not a problem with the pet, that's part of the challenge. He's fast and he always opens with his stun. Knowing that, and knowing what other pets he has/what abilities they use, you can devise a plan to deal with that before the fight begins (and I mean in-game, not a random forum complaint).
I hope things with a chance to stun get a lower chance to hit. I've never struggled with the Darkmoon Faire pet battle, but today is a whole other story. I'm on my fifth attempt. RNG is in his favor for sure, when all his "chance to stun" attacks are getting their stun >.<

I do agree that % CC's are kinda stupid (Shock and Awe, Headbutt, Moth Dust, Dragon Gas, ect).

That 25% chance can be such a tide-turner. But then again, 50% hit rate moves like Demolish can also get crazy good/bad luck, so I suppose it's just part of the game (also critical hits...).

I will say I was about ready to flip off WoW the other day when I got stunned 5 times in a row (across several fights) against the Beast of Fable that headbutts. To say it was frustrating would be an understatement.

I don't mind rng or chance, *except* pet battles are so short that the law of small numbers makes rng well, too rng-y.

If pet battles regularly took dozens of turns, then a miss / crit / proc CC here or there wouldn't be a big deal, but if Pet Battles really took that long to play out... then I think most of us wouldn't pet battle.
Luck.
Wait, people actually pet battle ?
Pandaren Monk needs darkness to use his fist of fury, but it misses in darkness so often that it makes counter productive.

Fix?
Fix?

Risk vs reward doesn't really seem to be broke?
Running demolish team in 5.3.

Sure it'll suck half the time but I can already see the qq when it wins.
Yes our pop is low due in large to the leveling requirement, but between boas and the exp boosting daily it wouldn't be particularly difficult if we brought anything at all unique or at least solidly useful to the table.

Can't deny this, or the fact that we're being "anti-death knighted" to death.
04/17/2013 04:37 PMPosted by Spärtäcus

Yes, yes they do. And quite a few from the amount of time and resources they put into it.
04/14/2013 11:59 AMPosted by Hearus
Fix?

Risk vs reward doesn't really seem to be broke?

It says "always hits when blinded".

If nothing else, the tooltip is broken.
I'd rather have "glancing blows" that deal 50-75% of the full damage than outright misses.

Outright misses will decide games so often that most pet battles will still come down to a dice roll, and that's not enjoyable for either party.

Seriously, if you win via a series of your opponents' misses, it's like you haven't actually won at all because you know you cannot rely upon those same circumstances again, like fighting trainer ______ until they get a series of misses so you can actually beat them.