Durumu maze "nerf"

Dungeons, Raids and Scenarios
Prev 1 2 3 6 Next
Should honestly be all of them.

Yes, you CAN see it reasonably.

But the hard part of a mechanic shouldn't be finding the correct camera angle and graphic settings.

Durumu's maze is basically pouring syrup all over your controller and calling a game difficult
04/06/2013 03:45 PMPosted by Azane
95% of wow players, if not more can see the Maze

Citation needed
04/06/2013 03:17 PMPosted by Horrorface
I draw the line at sensible comparisons, not hyperbolic far extremes that completely delegitimize your argument.

If we're going down that road, how about we have one boss that only broadcasts his ability by preceding it with a sound played at 17.4 kHz so that only players under the age of 20 can tell it's happening?

If we're going down that road

you realize the only reason he was jumping to that conclusion is to show how there's 2 sides to that ridiculous form of arguing right?
Mutliple people in my run who said they couldn't see the maze did it flawlessly the next night's attempts after watching a maze tutorial video.
Yeah show people the video, or even better the simple GIF explanation from MMO-champion:

http://i.imgur.com/JlaLGOx.gif

and watch how quickly they are suddenly able to see the maze.
The first day on Durumu, we all complained how hard it was to see, how stuff would spawn under us, how we had to change our graphics around, etc.

Sometimes it was buggy, I'll admit, at least the first week. There were apparent open spaces on my screen, yet when I ran into them I took damage still, so yeah sometimes bugs were actually present.
Sometimes it was buggy, I'll admit, at least the first week. There were apparent open spaces on my screen, yet when I ran into them I took damage still, so yeah sometimes bugs were actually present.

To be fair you are taking damage the entire Maze phase, regardless of whether or not you avoid every Eye Sore, which I think confuses a lot of people.
As far as LFR is concerned, and this is for all LFR not just Durumu, I think there is something seriously wrong with an encounter where people are expecting 2-6 Determination stacks in order to clear it. D-stacks were supposed to help weaker groups get past hurdles, not some standard buff you approach with the same mindset as stats or stamina. And the funny thing is, "trouble" encounters, like Durumu, do not require nerfs. Simple quality of life changes, like graphic/color changes would go a long way without touching the overall mechanics or damage of the encounter.

I am all for interesting mechanics and a small challenge, but when LFR generates a higher repair bill than my normal raid nights... something is amiss. /shrug
To be fair you are taking damage the entire Maze phase

This was 100k or 100k something ticks, just like the maze (Eye Sore) does. And I know you do, I've done it for a while now.
People that claim that can't "see" the maze correctly are generally people that just don't understand it. Watch a video. Follow someone around. It's really not hard if you understand.
I've only had trouble when people don't stack up in two spots at the beginning. Then you have the paths open up under some people and not others, and by the time you recover sometimes the beam is already on top of you.

What's more concerning to me is the 5-6 people who are dead every time before the maze even starts. The only way to fix that is to make the whole phase like Furious Stone Breath. Maze and beam do little to no damage, but then the fight would just be weird. You'd have a maze moving and a giant beam of death rotating and everyone would just be standing there like nothing was happening.

Edit:
People that claim that can't "see" the maze correctly are generally people that just don't understand it. Watch a video. Follow someone around. It's really not hard if you understand.

Don't understand it, or don't want to understand it? There appears to be a sub-population of people who go into LFR and take offense to the idea that they should learn how to do a fight properly, and that "tank and spank" should be viable for every fight.
On one hand, why is a mechanic's difficulty being in its visuals wrong? Yes, I don't think there's been a mechanic that's hard only because its difficult to see, but that does that make that type of challenge unacceptable? (Its certainly not the most fun for most players).

On the other hand, they've been constantly improving the visuals of spells in most cases. Making the difficulty be in actually dealing with it, not with "can I see it or not". It's very clear how far you have to spread for abilities (range radar isn't illegal certainly), and most aoe boss spells (like Megaera's poison bomb) have a very, very clear landing area. The challenge is dealing with it, not "where is it?" Why should Durumu be different?
Make the graphic easier to see but speed up the maze, so the difficulty of the maze goes from deciphering a bad graphic to successfully navigating a maze, as intended.
The maze on LFR is exactly the same as normal in terms of how it works. I didn't notice any difference in the ability to see where it actually was.

You just need to be really patient.
when the maze phase starts, have a more clear indicator for the starting melee/range spots.

leave maze as is. turn down the particle effects.

there, it isnt nearly as annoying and people still have to navigate the maze and not die to the beam.

but seriously, the particle effects are at like, an 11. turn them down to a 5 or so.

http://i.imgur.com/JlaLGOx.gif
04/06/2013 06:57 PMPosted by Dreagan
deciphering a bad graphic

I honestly don't understand this....it's not a great graphic by any means, but bad? it's easy to see the openings, and as you get further from the boss it becomes an absolute joke.

You just need to be really patient.

This. It seems most people who fail try to rush, there is no point in rushing unless you're at range (the absolute easiest path to take) and run far enough ahead to plant yourself and turret some spells for a few seconds.
Graphics settings huh. That explains it. Wondered why I couldn't see this so-called "maze".
I'm not really sure how people mess the maze up.

I play on Ultra settings, and went into normal Durumu with my (now) two week old guild I'm trialing in. I had never done Durumu before that (and LFR wasn't out yet for Durumu). I only watched the fatboss video once. We had a terrible night on him and wiped like 15 times before killing it (Then proceeded to 1 shot prim, 2 shot dark, and 1 shot Qon...trolololol). I didn't die to the maze one time.

I mean the graphics COULD be better, they can be somewhat iffy, but I never had a problem with it.
The maze safe spot is freaking huge on LFR now.
My LFR group wiped on this frustrating mechanic something like 5 times.

The problem isn't following the safe spot once you're there. I find that very easy. The problem is knowing where the safe spot is going to be.

Knowing where the safe spot is going to be is:

* Not intuitive.

* Hard to explain.

The combination of these properties makes this a very bad mechanic for the LFR. Inevitably, half the raid will die, and there's nothing you can do about it. You can't teach them how to find the safe spot. Even if you know how to find it, it's hard to express in words.

At least for LFR, finding the location of the safe spot - seeing whether it's going to be left or right - needs to become more intuitive, and easier to explain. Until then, frustration incoming.