Blizz Form 10-K Annual Report Filed 2/22/13

General Discussion
Post Limit:
Prev 1 2 3 17 Next
That said, if your player base has stabilized, why upset the balance by instituting radical gameplay changes? I do not get it.

Why upset your existing player base to look for a hypothetical "new" player base.

This is worse than tickle torture.
04/08/2013 11:54 AMPosted by Barkloud
Aaaaand?

The first 90 days of MOP Blizzard had a net loss of 600,000 subscribers (9/30/12 10.2 million subscribers and 12/31/12 that subscriber number was down to 9.6 million).

That is a staggeringly large net loss during the first 3 months of a brand new expansion. I can only imagine what the quarterly report will say in April/May.

Maybe if we had free server transfers off imbalanced and empty servers people would stay.

so a veiled "I want free xfer thread"? Why bring up something unrelated to your actual topic?
or I am a politician :)

Which would explain why you speak like one, and why you shouldn't be trusted.
you're lying (or at least being intentionally deceptive).

or I am a politician :)

Same thing.
The only thing that surprises me about that (except that the MoP decline was perhaps a bit steeper than you'd guess over 1 quarter) is they say the majority of the decline was in Asia.

I'd have guessed given the theme/tone of MoP that growth rates/losses would be better in Asia and worse in the West.

Conspiracy theories aside it is long, long past time something be done about all the dead and dieing realms that now litter Warcraft.

I always felt that blizzard is afraid of server mergers due to the public reaction. I think they are afraid of how websites like IGN and Kotaku would react, possibly screaming "WOW IS DEAD THEY ARE MERGING SERVERS END OF AN ERA?!?!?!" I always found the term "sensationalist media" to be usual hyperbole, but part of me understands their fear. There is a history of when an MMO merges servers for everyone to call it "dead" after all.

Hell twitter alone would be in flames with people asking if wow is dying and perhaps blizzard just doesn't feel comfortable putting out those fires just yet.
Most of the really heated complaints I have read are not coming from those that started in Wrath and Cata, they are coming from Vanilla and BC players.

Sure they are, it's amazing how many players played back in the alpha and beta builds when posting on the forum requesting a change.
http://www.statista.com/statistics/208146/number-of-subscribers-of-world-of-warcraft/

Check the big bar graph (may have to clear an ad to see it). If the data referenced above is accurate (meaning 9.6 Million subs) that's the same as fourth quarter 2012, making it stable not a decline.

WoW only had 7 quarters where sub numbers exceeded 11-million. Everthing else for 12 more quarters has been in the 9-10 million range.
That said, if your player base has stabilized, why upset the balance by instituting radical gameplay changes? I do not get it.
'
Because they ain't being paid to make sure the game stagnates in place as long as possible.
What I find especially funny is I take a direct quote from a Blizzard public document and you accuse me of being deceptive towards Blizzard.

I will have to ponder that thought for awhile.

I wasn't talking about the quote. I was talking about your own statement.
04/08/2013 12:19 PMPosted by Barkloud
perhaps blizzard just doesn't feel comfortable putting out those fires just yet.

I wonder if that is how Rome burnt down.

It looks to me that Blizzard still has MILLIONS of players who love/like the game and a STAGGERING amount of complainers who still pay to play.... they have a looong way to go before panic should set in.
Garrosh as a main boss reminds me of when we had to fight his son as a deathknight in ICC.

I, uh....Dranosh is the son of Saurfang, hence Deathbringer Saurfang being the name of the boss...as opposed to Deathbringer Hellscream.

That is a staggeringly large net loss during the first 3 months of a brand new expansion. I can only imagine what the quarterly report will say in April/May.

Maybe if we had free server transfers off imbalanced and empty servers people would stay.

I sort of see this thread as using the annual report statement as a thinly veiled request for free realm transfers and I think it's a little silly. There are plenty of reasons people unsub.