Shadow Priests: Gimped!

Priest
Prev 1 3 4 5 7 Next
04/25/2013 09:29 AMPosted by Dictainabox
it's funny how everyone who says 'shadow is fine' raids 10s with mega underperforming warlocks.

His logs were decent enough to get him a shot with the Arathian Knights. Next excuse, please.

you play 10s. things hit less hard, so our subpar survivability (PWS vs soul leech/sac pact) is less of an issue and lets you not have to move around as much to deal with the ToT ubiquitous player targeted aoe mechanic which kills you if you're too close to another targeted player.

when i do 10s on my spriest, i can crank out another 10-15% dps from not having to move around as much. when i do 10s vs 25s on my alt lock, there's no difference as i just take KJC.
04/25/2013 12:52 PMPosted by Snaxattax

His logs were decent enough to get him a shot with the Arathian Knights. Next excuse, please.

you play 10s. things hit less hard, so our subpar survivability (PWS vs soul leech/sac pact) is less of an issue and lets you not have to move around as much to deal with the ToT ubiquitous player targeted aoe mechanic which kills you if you're too close to another targeted player.

when i do 10s on my spriest, i can crank out another 10-15% dps from not having to move around as much. when i do 10s vs 25s on my alt lock, there's no difference as i just take KJC.

So, first it was "your warlock is bad." Once that nonsense assertion was done away with, it became 10 man spriests have it easier than 25 man spriests. But even when compared to your fellow 25 man spriest raiders, your dps is subpar. Next excuse, please.
and i'm 10 ilvls below him/you with no lmg? it's not magic.
and i'm 10 ilvls below him/you with no lmg? it's not magic.

You're acting like people can't look at your logs. Your gear isn't the only thing screwing you.
04/25/2013 12:52 PMPosted by Snaxattax
our subpar survivability

What?
04/25/2013 01:56 PMPosted by Nixxe
our subpar survivability

What?

*Completely ignores damage reduction in shadowform, life swap, other self heals, DP, and just pays attention to shield*
04/25/2013 01:56 PMPosted by Nixxe
our subpar survivability

What?

compared to warlocks, our survivability options are pretty mediocre and require us to stop dpsing to use them.
compared to warlocks, our survivability options are pretty mediocre and require us to stop dpsing to use them.

That was a worthless reiteration of your original point. Please elaborate.
our main survival abilities are PWS and dispersion. PWS is on the gcd, and dispersion is a self silence. the warlock damage reduction abilities are all off gcd other than twilight ward, and soul leech is completely passive. whatever benefit we get from shadowform and innerfire is dwarfed by stacking soul leech in low damage portions of a fight.

also, dispersion isn't enough to survive a deathtouch enrage, whereas dark bargain is, which has always been ridiculous to me.
Yeah but we can Fade and let the Locks die first, lol.

Also our big Damage reduction CD doesn't try to kill us after it's over.

Oh and we do more self healing than any other DPS. PW:S and PoM are very powerful abilities that you would be a fool to not use when appropriate.

In the end though Class X != Class Y and that's a good thing.
we die even with our damage reduction up to some mechanics, which warlocks get to delay for an extra 8 seconds and potentially squeeze out a clutch boss kill.

we do more self healing, but warlocks take less damage in the first place due to their retarded array of absorbs.

In the end though Class X != Class Y and that's a good thing.

our only niche is having divine star for raid heals and mass dispel. every other 'niche' aspect where a shadow priest would be ostensibly useful, a warlock is better. dispel fest fights suck, and on top of that mass dispel is getting a shadow specific cast time nerf next patch.
Though it's hard to justify using the MD Glyph in PvE even now. I don't see this changing much as there isn't a Wind Lord / Empress type fight.
I'm not sure how damage reduction stacks, whether it's multiplicative or additive, but Shadowform and Inner Fire reduces my physical damage taken about as much as a plate wearer with a shield. Shadowform and Glyph of Inner Sanctum gives me more passive spell reduction than any other class as far as I know. And as far as I can tell, Bulwark will proc on an attack that would otherwise one shot me. As far as surviving enrages goes, only H Garalon has killed me through enrage. I've survived everything else this expansion. Whether warlocks are better than us or not, I don't really care, but Shadow is hardly hurting for survivability.
31% -> 0% will bypass AB unfortunately.
Maybe I just had a ton of absorbs on me to begin with, but there have been a few times I swear something would have literally one shot me and AB still procced and was eaten all by the same attack.
I would settle for movement during insanity. LOL I can't count the times i have mistimed or had unexpected need for movement just as I hit DP. It happens with PI too but not as often. I've learned to anticipate a little better with PI.
04/25/2013 06:59 PMPosted by Snaxattax

What?

Casting while dispersed.... could you imagine? :)

Casting while dispersed.... could you imagine? :)

i like!

So, first it was "your warlock is bad." Once that nonsense assertion was done away with, it became 10 man spriests have it easier than 25 man spriests. But even when compared to your fellow 25 man spriest raiders, your dps is subpar. Next excuse, please.

A. Priests do not have subpar survivability. If you're not the last one standing, you are doing something wrong

B. Many players are terribad and/or don't understand their class.

C. At least half of all dps don't try. That's why shadow priests are often outdpsing warlocks. There is a certain skillcap to every class and some people just need to play a class where you can macro everything to one button and spam.

D. Priests across the board are not what they once were. They keep taking so much away that nothing will be left soon.
Now you know how affliction used to be. dots dots dots. In the Warlock threads we joke that if you wanna play a dot class, play a Shadow Priest. It's true, you guys have basically taken our spec. Destro and Demo have one or two dots, and afflic 3 or 4. For year Warlocks had been crying for some dev love, and finally got it (it was much needed). Now you know what it feels like to play a neglected class :P (if you think spriests are neglected, enhance shammy's might have something to say too)

Also, all the spriests I see are destroying the damage meter, pve and pvp....I think if you plan accordingly for pve, you don't have to move so much. This is the eternal plight of melee too....