Distorted Graphics on 7950/5870

Mac Technical Support
Post Limit:
Another note. If there is ANY zone that experiences the most or worst. It's townlong steps. It's rare i enter this zone without the problem.

ALso, Zarynia, can you state what mac pro you are on?
And my latest in distorted goodness.

http://mysticalos.com/images/MoP/distorted_video/lei_shen.jpeg
I've tracked issue down specifically to high resolution textures. It seems lower i set setting for textures the less objects affected by bug. i see it everywhere if it's set to high. i see it some places set to good. set to fair or low, i see it no where. So the problem is somewhere in the handling of high res textures on ati cards
Hiya Omegal,

Sorry i didn't see your question earlier.

Mac Pro 4,1
Just adding in that 10.8.5 doesn't address either.

maybe 10.9 will. or maybe only wow can ever fix this :\

Sucks that i'm having to play at low texture resolution to avoid the severe cases of it (it only seems to happen on high res settings)
Are you absolutely certain that's not just a faulty GPU? Particularly the memory controller? The artifacts look exactly as if certain textures are being corrupted on the trip to the VRAM itself. And if lower/smaller textures fixes the issue, it could well mean the memory controller is being over taxed.
07/27/2013 12:46 PMPosted by Stoneblade
Are you absolutely certain that's not just a faulty GPU? Particularly the memory controller? The artifacts look exactly as if certain textures are being corrupted on the trip to the VRAM itself. And if lower/smaller textures fixes the issue, it could well mean the memory controller is being over taxed.

it's happened with 3 gpus a 5870, a 7950, and a replacement 7950.

it's also ONLY wow. not a single steam game. not sc2, and not diablo 3. No issues anywhere but wow. I've ran ever test i can because it looked like bad vram or something but the fact it passes all tests and i can't reproduce problem in ANY other game just tells me there is something up with wow rendering on ATI cards under "right conditions" which is basically cranked up texture resolution and even then extremely unpredictable. the 7950 also gets it far more severely than 5870. the 5870 only started getting issue around 5.2. I didn't have the 7950 on 5.0 or 5.1 so i can't say if it's new to that card too.

can you think of ANY hardware reason it'd happen with multiple GPUs? I even replaced the power cable with brand new ones. Although I don't see any indication the card is getting under volted, although that's hard to diagnose.
Omegal,

I have a mid 2011 21.5 inch iMac. I'm having some similar issues with graphics but on a much smaller scale. Is this a driver related issue? My graphics card is a AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB. Is there a short term fix such as fixing the graphics setting in WOW?
Honestly i don't know, i'm not sure if it started because of wow 5.2 or because of 10.8.3+
they happened near same time. one of them did it. I'm confident it's multiple ati cards and ONLY wow, just pretty severe on 7000 series. although as i noted, also on my 5870 very mildy. Severity is greatly diminished if you set texture resolution to low.

Diablo 3 and steam games seem entirely unaffected by issue.
I've been back and forth with ATI and honestly at a loss here. The problem is on two cards and seems to get worse the longer wow is open. However, temp monitors show it's not heat, vram tests show nothing wrong with card at all. One of cards even went back to manf and they could find nothing wrong with it

I'm even trying to watch power supply to see if cards are getting shorted power and i'm just not seeing that either. SO what common variable between two diff video cards would cause behavior that looks like a bad video card, if both cards are actually fine? bad PCI slot? driver bug? just too hard to say.

Of course it doesn't help that under 10.9 both GPus are working much harder now do to a regression in performance. that probably contributes to the problem worsening.
I've been using a 2008 Mac Pro (8-cores) with an AMD 4870 card on WOW with absolutely no graphic problems. This included the recent OSX 10.8.5 update. I've just set up a 2012 Mac Pro (6 cores) with an AMD 5870 card and have severe problems on WOW, generally freezing of the graphics and collapse of the application. This problem is mostly independent of the WOW system settings. The 2012 Mac Pro didn't seem to have any problems on Diablo III.
I'm downloading even more test tools. All i know is, the gpus are fine in all other apps but wow. they pass any test you throw at them. however, in wow, they do this

http://mysticalos.com/images/distorted_video/mosh_pet.jpeg Both of them, and on 10.9M and 10.8.3-10.8.5

I can play diablo 3 all day and have 0 problems though. Wow seems to freak out particularly with shadows, or glow effects. This particular shot was a single cloak effect on a non combat pet freaking out. I'm going to try messing with external power again because one thing i did note is that the card was hitting 280 watts during this, and as far as i'm aware, 2 6pin power cables cap at 250 watts if I'm not mistaken? Although this seems odd cosidering above image was taken with a BTO 5870 FROM apple that SHOULD be able to function off stock power. So I don't know really. I also don't know how accurate my hardware monitor app even is. After all, it's telling me my power supply is drawing 22amps and that makes no sense. residential outlets are generally 15 amp sockets, there is no way that socket is feeding my tower 22amps plus my speakers plus my monitor in addition to that