Durumu Maze Improvements – 4/9

General Discussion
Post Limit:
Prev 1 5 6 7 14 Next
I still am having a lot of problems seeing the maze, I see the openings fine now, but there seems to be a significant delay on the openings expanding. I had to follow someone else to make it through (it looked like he was running through eye sores most of the time), but my LFR group was able to get through it with only 2 wipes this week (instead of the 7 from last week).

The beam is definitely moving too fast though, I had to use my movement increasing abilities to avoid being killed by the beam, people that didn't have anything (or didn't think to use it) were killed by the beam several times.

Edit: Note I was in the ranged opening as that's where the person I was following went. From reading other posts it sounds like the melee opening might be easier to deal with in my case.

I also agree with the poster above me who suggested removing the instant kill mechanic from the beam in LFR, just make it hit for 200,000 or something. I don't mind mechanics like that in Normal, but in LFR I'm generally opposed to anything as unforgiving as an instant kill mechanic. Allow the LFRers some leniency in learning fights like this, and make them perfect it when/if they are ready for normal mode. Durumu remains the hardest of the 3 bosses in this wing of the LFR, which just doesn't make sense to me. I'm fine with some challenge, but as it is the fight is just scaring people away from the LFR, which should not be happening.
Still wiping on this fight sorry due to the maze mechanic, wiping not just me but half the party with me.
Did this on LFR last night with a half guild group. We have this fight on farm (25m) on normal, so we all know how to do the maze. But this was a disaster. The path appeared bigger, but some of the apparent safe spots weren't actually safe. The ranged complained that there was no ranged path sometimes. And worst of all, either the beam is moving faster or the safe spot is much closer to the beam, not certain which. I have always simply watched the floor and moved into safe areas as they appeared, but last night doing the same I died twice to the beam.

Additionally, the graphics changes caused our GM's computer to completely freeze up. And several people simultaneously got life drain and force of will. I appreciate the attempt to fix the maze, but it appears that this encounter is now worse. I'm not looking forward to doing it on normal this week.
Just revert it back, it was perfect before. Now paths stop showing up and the beam moves much quicker.
From my vantage point of corpse on the floor in the lfr version today:
2 wipes vs the 6 it took last week
about 12 people seemed to "get" it & see the gaps & stay alive vs the 6 who completed the fight last week
Personally I still can't see where the gaps start even with graphics turned right down & the "following the person who can do it" approach seemed slightly too slow to escape the big insta death beam.
But frankly I'm not good at any raid mechanics beyond "don't stand in the bad round blob on the floor" or "stand there & shoot the big baddie" so I may not be a good test subject.
LFR version is an absolute cakewalk. 10 man felt a bit easier but also more or less the same.
Just wanted to follow up with some additional information, as we've seen a few questions since the changes.

In a hotfix yesterday, we changed two elements of the Durumu Eye Sore mechanic, or the “maze” as it’s more commonly known. First off, we applied a small client patch to increase the visual fidelity of the fill graphic itself, giving the effect less vertical height and hopefully making it easier to see the safe spots as they appear. Feedback on this change has generally been positive. Separately, at the same time we made some adjustments to the logic of how the maze is drawn with respect to the movement of the Disintegration Beam. One of the less intuitive aspects of the original maze mechanic was how it would begin drawing behind you, and how the right thing to do was actually to turn around and back up, towards the approaching death beam, in order to safely enter the forming maze. Why would any sane person want to move closer to a death beam?!

We generally are extremely cautious about making gameplay adjustments to encounters once players have already learned them, but in this case the opening of the Halls of Flesh-Shaping LFR wing highlighted the fact that the mechanic was a particular source of confusion to many players, and the longer we waited to make any adjustment, the more disorienting it would be if we did change anything. So what we did was make the maze immediately begin drawing in front of the player as the beam activates, so that you never need to turn around and run towards the beam. This also effectively gives players a slight head-start on the beam as it begins to move. To maintain the same sense of urgency, the beam does move slightly more quickly now, so that it will, over the course of the phase, catch up to players and negate that head start. But the player movement required once you’re actually running the maze should be unchanged. We have noted, however, that at the very end of the maze sequence, it can now feel like the fast-approaching death ray is going to reach you, making it feel like you're stuck between a rock and a hard place. To address that concern, we are making another adjustment today, which will cause the death ray to dissipate a few seconds earlier at the end of the maze.
Thanks.
What about the apparent and common issues at the start of the phase with there being no ranged or melee path at all?
Good. Graphic issues and/or poor eyesight never should be part of the "challenge" of any encounter. Nice to see Blizzard realize this and ignore the overly-vocal minority.
I agree with everyone else's complaints. I haven't really had an issue with this barring the first few attempts. I have stayed alive using my defensive CD's appropriately in case of mistakes but I haven't had to because I had "mastered" the maze and could continue doing almost my full DPS while staying alive. I can't speak for the range or the speed of the beam as I am not in range and didn't notice an issue, although I was suprised when I had to clip my Fist of Fury because of the beam (attributed that to my error but maybe it wasn't).

The problem that I personally noticed was the lack of difference between the safe and not-safe zones. I play on High graphics with +30fps and -50ms and had difficulty telling the difference where I didnt have the same problem before. It seemed to be lighter or less filled it, making it harder to see for me personally. The other problem was the fake-outs or "just kidding" safe spots that would appear then disappear. I'd move into a spot then start takign damage and have to use my defensives to stay alive when I shouldnt have.

I also echo the posts about dead ends as I multiple times had to back track or roll through eye sores to stay alive.

Just seems totally borked atm.
Is this for LFR only?
I've done this fight a lot on normal before it opened in LFR. In the new version, taking the outside ("ranged") track and not having any run speed enhancement available to me other than run speed to boots, the lazer caught up with me and killed me. I never "cheated" by stopping to try and cast any spells. I was running full speed the entire time. This happened to a couple people in my raid.
We got our second Durumu kill today, maybe not a big achiev, but it took us some long time, we got stuck in the hotfix u did yesterday, for sure its harder, i would love if u could let us know some hotfix as the speed of the death beam and the logic of the maze cuz it took us some real time to figure it out since the "fix" of the death beam dissipating a few seconds early just went live after 30 minutes of trys, and we got stcuk in the middle of another fix, again ty for making it easier for those trying to progress but its a shame u are making some ppls relearn the fight with no info until after u fix it, btw Mists of Pandaria best expansion ever, keep the good work and fix things faster if u can tyvm
Excuse me. It's not that it gives the "illusion" it will reach it. IT DOES REACH YOU. Unless you're in the MELEE safe zone, you WILL die without a speed boost of some sort. Plain and Simple. The melee safe zone is fine as there's less room needed to run to get further around Durumu.

From the ranged safe zone, you can and WILL die if you do not have a speed booster. And until you make Burning Rush baseline for all warlocks or remove the health penalty, give mages Blazing speed baseline or remove the cooldown, remove the dazing/cancelling if glyphed aspect in aspect of the cheetah for hunters, etc. you cannot make it so being AT RANGED as a RANGED DPS WILL Kill you. It's ridiculous.

Do you guys even think things through before you make changes like that? Seriously. I was in a LFR earlier where every single healer died because the beams reached them WHILE THEY WERE RUNNING THE ENTIRE TIME. Why? Because they were in the ranged safe zone. That is NOT acceptable. Why even have a ranged safe zone if it kills anyone running in it before the beam is done?

Good job, you guys fixed the maze issue and caused a completely new one: PEOPLE DIE BECAUSE THEY ACTUALLY FOLLOW THE MECHANICS OF THE FIGHT.

Either change the beam movement in LFR difficulty, or give every single class a speed boost. And no one say we can run in the melee zone. The ranged zone exists for ranged players. If they did not want us to run it, it would not exist. It does. By telling me to run in the melee zone, then why doesn't the tank pull him while standing over the dropping ledge? Why doesn't the melee DPS the boss from ranged using Throw? Why doesn't the mage DPS him from melee range with melee hits? Because they're not supposed to. Just like we're not supposed to use the melee zone, we're supposed to use the ranged one. Also: Please tell me how it's easy to see a safe zone with 25 people crowding a very tiny melee path? I can barely see it with the 8-10 melee we usually have.
Sigh. The fidelity now makes it kill FPS on lower end machines. The increased speed of the beam means that even with a speed enchant any little hesitation kills you (and I mean any... you're better off running through eyesore in LFR vs trying to juke to find the next section).

What you guys are doing is missing the point. The maze FIDELITY wasn't the issue. It was using a dark on dark color scheme. Make the Eyesore stuff fel green and the contrast between it and the floor will make the maze clear spots more apparent even at lower fidelity. The mechanic will remain the same. And no, this isn't a nerf - fighting one's graphics settings should never be the point of an encounter.

Again, just change the Eyesore to something like fel fire green and you'd be good.

Again, just change the Eyesore to something like fel fire green and you'd be good.

No, it was an issue for a lot of players. Just because it wasn't for you doesn't mean it wasn't.
Excuse me. It's not that it gives the "illusion" it will reach it. IT DOES REACH YOU. Unless you're in the MELEE safe zone, you WILL die without a speed boost of some sort. Plain and Simple. The melee safe zone is fine as there's less room needed to run to get further around Durumu.

From the ranged safe zone, you can and WILL die if you do not have a speed booster. And until you make Burning Rush baseline for all warlocks or remove the health penalty, give mages Blazing speed baseline or remove the cooldown, remove the dazing/cancelling if glyphed aspect in aspect of the cheetah for hunters, etc. you cannot make it so being AT RANGED as a RANGED DPS WILL Kill you. It's ridiculous.

Do you guys even think things through before you make changes like that? Seriously. I was in a LFR earlier where every single healer died because the beams reached them WHILE THEY WERE RUNNING THE ENTIRE TIME. Why? Because they were in the ranged safe zone. That is NOT acceptable. Why even have a ranged safe zone if it kills anyone running in it before the beam is done?

Good job, you guys fixed the maze issue and caused a completely new one: PEOPLE DIE BECAUSE THEY ACTUALLY FOLLOW THE MECHANICS OF THE FIGHT.

Either change the beam movement in LFR difficulty, or give every single class a speed boost. And no one say we can run in the melee zone. The ranged zone exists for ranged players. If they did not want us to run it, it would not exist. It does. By telling me to run in the melee zone, then why doesn't the tank pull him while standing over the dropping ledge? Why doesn't the melee DPS the boss from ranged using Throw? Why doesn't the mage DPS him from melee range with melee hits? Because they're not supposed to. Just like we're not supposed to use the melee zone, we're supposed to use the ranged one.

Exactly, if you are running around the outer edge, it is further to run, thus the beam will catch you now that you have increased its speed.. Guess we will have to bunch up 25 people in melee, that should make it real easy to see the path.. NOT...