Zarhym talks about April fools.

General Discussion
Post Limit:
Prev 1 6 7 8 9 Next
I think "Working on real content" is the April fool's joke

Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Pretty much this..
04/03/2013 12:25 PMPosted by Zarhym
We decided we couldn't justify spending MORE time on it this year with everything else going on.

My $15/month doesn't pay for your excuses!

Also, the painted eggs on Ji'kun was an amazing idea. Whoever did that needs to be given a Doomhammer keychain accessory. Also, is the Blood Elf person possibly becoming Warchief the joke? The idea of the Horde going to war covered in glitter and glow-in-the-dark stickers doesn't seem "Horde" to me. {◕ n ◕}
First no pre-expansion event, now no April fools jokes. Looks like I can now break out my Rose Colored Goggles and reflect to yester-years.

Do you blame them for no pre-expansion event with the number of people that whined and complained and gnashed their teeth because of the cata event?? There were swarms of people threatening self mutilation if they couldn't opt out of the event..

I found it quite sad actually.
Based on all the interesting replies I've been receiving on Twitter, I just want to specify here that I was primarily referring to website content and the priorities of our Web and Community teams. These are the teams that tend to put the most focus on April Fools jokes on our websites. People are extrapolating a lot of strange conclusions out of what I said... or, I guess more accurately, what I didn't even say.

And, as I said in the first of those tweets listed on MMO-C, we DID work on ideas for this year's April 1, but they didn't really pan out. We decided we couldn't justify spending MORE time on it this year with everything else going on. This doesn't mean we had more time to kill in previous years, or that we'll never do gags on our website again. It was a matter of priorities and time investment.

It's awesome that people enjoy when we do fun stuff. We like fun too. I'm sure we can all continue to have fun together, even if we didn't fool people on the day everyone not only expects it, but apparently demands it. :p

You guys should do an April fool's joke on a day that isn't April fools. That would totally make up for it.
I still hate that april fools fell on a monday. the amount of users that got to hear my oondasta joke are just so few :\

Think next year i'll make it so April fools consists of entire first week of April. :)

it was April Fool's day playing an April fools joke on us.

interestingly enough, by tradition, April's fools day ends at noon hour.
Zar,

Confusion would probably be reduced if you didn't use Twit for updates on expected events, such as the (formerly) yearly April Fools day forum event.

Limiting yourself to the short comments that Twit allows just leads to further confusion. I think when the primary Blues/DEvs starting using Twit for updates, you really isolated your larger player base.
I think they could of released some faulty patch notes concerning who would be the next Warchief or what happens in 5.3 or 5.4 concerning that subject all together. The best part would be to give us the actual choice but since its April fools we would mark that person off as the next Warchief and when it actually gets officially released everyone would be thinking you fooled us twice.
the april fools joke will hit later, they're setting up the people that QQ about more dailys, because they know it's what they think when they say new content.

"the new set of content will have 10 new factions, all with 4 dailys each that grant 50 rep per daily! GOGO!"

<--- would die laughing when they put that on the patch notes and don't actually do it.
Based on all the interesting replies I've been receiving on Twitter, I just want to specify here that I was primarily referring to website content and the priorities of our Web and Community teams. These are the teams that tend to put the most focus on April Fools jokes on our websites. People are extrapolating a lot of strange conclusions out of what I said... or, I guess more accurately, what I didn't even say.

And, as I said in the first of those tweets listed on MMO-C, we DID work on ideas for this year's April 1, but they didn't really pan out. We decided we couldn't justify spending MORE time on it this year with everything else going on. This doesn't mean we had more time to kill in previous years, or that we'll never do gags on our website again. It was a matter of priorities and time investment.

It's awesome that people enjoy when we do fun stuff. We like fun too. I'm sure we can all continue to have fun together, even if we didn't fool people on the day everyone not only expects it, but apparently demands it. :p

As a vanilla player I just want to thank you & the entire development team for moving this game in the right direction. From 2.0 with the implementation of casual friendly PvP & BC Arenas. To balance changes such as increased battle fatigue to make 2v2 more than a "just to cap bracket". To incredibly fast new content.

April fool's jokes are entertaining, sure but they only last for a day. If WoW wasn't quality I wouldn't still be logging in.

It's like giving a cool gift to your nephew on his birthday but otherwise neglecting him. It's the every day that counts

Anyway I know I'll probably get hated for this post but It's the risk you take when posting on these forums.
While the lack of an april fools joke doesn't really bother me, I would've liked funny patch notes.
Do you blame them for no pre-expansion event with the number of people that whined and complained and gnashed their teeth because of the cata event?? There were swarms of people threatening self mutilation if they couldn't opt out of the event..

Yeah, I can, because they do that every expansion and the complaints are rarely valid ones.

The only massive complaint that I remember from the Cata pre-event was that a CM said something about the FoS for closing rifts being easier to achieve as the event went on. Some players took that to mean that they were being told not to try to do the achievement at that time, and that they should wait until later. So they did, because they were too lazy to go out in the world to find the rifts, and the rifts in IF bugged at some point. Rage ensued because "YOU SAID TO WAIT!!!!" when they didn't. And the silly thing was, getting the achievement early on was very easy.

All the people who wanted to opt out of the latter part of the event had to do was leave the city for a little bit. They even ported you out if you wanted to go.

I don't think you should remove fun things because a few loud, angry people don't like them.

Fool me once: shame on you.

Fool me twice: shame on me.

Fool me thrice: we've established a pattern of behavior, and if you deviate from it THERE WILL BE A RECKONING.

AND DALEKS.
First no pre-expansion event, now no April fools jokes. Looks like I can now break out my Rose Colored Goggles and reflect to yester-years.

Wrath of the Lich King pre-launch was either the best event ever, or the worst. Cata was nothing compared to that whining.
Events like the zombie events make great temporary events and not something permanent. They should never last too long and only happen once or once in a blue moon. They really add life to the world instead of the same old grind we experience day in and day out in this game.

I don't think they should always "play it safe" and come up with the concept of never doing special events or have the extremely tame and avoidable for us. Sometimes we need to have crap thrown in our faces and we have to fight to survive. Even if it ends up being player driven.
Zar, I really do appreciate your twiter responses, but your website team is been falling behind on the development side. The Ghastly charger and Astral cloud serpent, dont even have proper pictures, and the mount page is filled with unobtainable and non-existant mounts.

I think you really need to have a look.
Events like the zombie events make great temporary events and not something permanent. They should never last too long and only happen once or once in a blue moon. They really add life to the world instead of the same old grind we experience day in and day out in this game.

I don't think they should always "play it safe" and come up with the concept of never doing special events or have the extremely tame and avoidable for us. Sometimes we need to have crap thrown in our faces and we have to fight to survive. Even if it ends up being player driven.

the only real problem with the zombie invasion event is it fell on the hallo0ween event making it impposible to do the the towns fire quest.

(cause the zombies kept running in and infecting people) some people just had a shaman spam cure disease on everyone when they got bit, but after a while the ghouls got a bit well overwelming, and the horsemans flame attack just made things that much worse, (specially if it was a shaman who got hit)

but I for one LOVED the Zombie event.. I hated that it ended...
They could have changed the log in reminder about maintenance for Tuesday to say it would be down 24 hours for some reason, then had a blue or two throw out a fake post confirming it. Would have been a good joke and easy to do.