5.3 - MoP XP Lowered Please

General Discussion
Post Limit:
Prev 1 11 12 13 15 Next
From: [url="http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/9135374/"]5.3 PTR patch notes[/url]
  • Experience needed to increase from level 85 to level 90 has been reduced by 33%.

• Suh-weet.

I've been dreading leveling my last alts because of the time investment involved. Good news. Thanks.

You could say that about pretty much every expansion though.

You could except for 3 key flaws in MoP leveling:

1. The dungeons are terrible, unrewarding, and because of that few do them.

2. There's no flying, and this little return to BC nostalgia shows why the "TBC server" crowd is so wrong: it's just nostalgia. Not having flying while leveling sucks hard.

3. You have to do more or less most of the quests in 3 Pandaren zones to level, give or take rested XP, etc. But again since you can't fly, you're pretty limited in the order you do them in and while you're stuck on the ground, 90s that want to gank you on the PvP servers are not.

1. Absolutely. This is an area where MoP failed miserably. It has to be said.

2. This is really a VERY minor concern and I've never really had a problem with it. Actually, I like it: it adds to immersiveness. I'm a Cata baby, I have no nostalgia for TBC except in theory :) I do like immersiveness, however.

3. What you mean is the linear questing in MoP. Everyone HAS to start in the Jade Forest. Then you get two choices. Then you get one choice. Ugh, that makes levelling alts a tedious chore of doing the same quests over and over. Cata gave us a choice of Vash'jir or Hyjal, then you could go to Deepholm *or* Uldum. Once again, this was a significant flaw in MoP.
    There's seriously people complaining about XP nerfs? I'm ashamed to be a human being.

I can't wait to finally finish my monk.
    There's seriously people complaining about XP nerfs? I'm ashamed to be a human being.

Ashamed to be a human being? Oh teh dramaz!!!

Some of us like immersion in an MMORPG and some of us, while we may love the endgame, don't play WoW as nothing but a mad rush to level 90 and BiS.

Ashamed to be a human being? Oh teh dramaz!!!

Some of us like immersion in an MMORPG and some of us, while we may love the endgame, don't play WoW as nothing but a mad rush to level 90 and BiS.

Well I think 6 months is plenty enough time for you to enjoy your immersion and stuff.

I'd like to get my alts leveled in a not-so-painful manner. They need to let us use our Heirlooms to 90 too.
    Nah, you're doing it all wrong Blizzard. You should have removed the XP bonus from heirloom items! Then 85-90 wouldn't seem so much longer in comparison to the rest of the game! ;)
    Would also be awesome if they did like previous expansion and add Flying at entry level so at least by the time you get to 85 you can start to fly in Pandaria.
    Nah, you're doing it all wrong Blizzard. You should have removed the XP bonus from heirloom items! Then 85-90 wouldn't seem so much longer in comparison to the rest of the game! ;)

You don't have to use heirlooms at all, so it doesn't matter if they let other people use them, it's completely optional.
    04/22/2013 06:04 PMPosted by Ithunkhard

You don't have to use heirlooms at all, so it doesn't matter if they let other people use them, it's completely optional.

Not really.

You can't choose to run LFG with non-loomed players. You can't choose to do random BGs with non-loomed people.

Sure, I could run dungeons with friends and guildies but that's not always an option.

(edit)

In before someone SCREAMS how I want to take their choice away...

I am not advocating removing heirlooms. However, I would be in favour of having the CHOICE to form pugs and run BGs with non-loomed folk. Choice is good, no?
    Thank you based Blizzard.
    04/22/2013 06:04 PMPosted by Ithunkhard

It's sarcasm, genius. =P Although I would definitely laugh at the QQ if they did do something like that.

(If it were possible I would also love it if Golden Lotus's gate were made to go away...MoP is the most alt-UNFRIENDLY expansion due to things like this...)

They have taken it away in Patch 5.3!!
    04/22/2013 01:46 PMPosted by Murdross
    Elite mobs and group quests while leveling used to be quite common.

Elite mobs never taught you how to play. They just taught you to run away or find more people. If they want to teach people how to play, they need a completely different paradigm. The monk quests have the right idea to be honest: they focus on skills that most players otherwise seem to never learn to do- like kite, interrupt, disarm. You know, all the actually useful skills (especially that middle one).

Whether or not you could find a practical way to teach rotation in a game where rotations can flip flop with the swing of a nerf bat is questionable though.

I HIGHLY disagree with the underlined part. Assuming you were taking on elite mobs that were possible to be soloed by your class/spec, they taught you how to use your spells and abilities at necessary times, gets you acquainted with using your "oh ****" cooldowns, etc.

Depending on the class, elite mobs often taught you how to play outside of the box of mindless leveling (kiting, CC, interrupts, etc). Things you generally won't bother using in normal situations. I used to have a lot of fun fear chaining mobs in Tyr's Hand as a Warlock during vanilla. Learning to fear kite was fun and not exactly as straight forward as one might think... given the random run directions.
    Suggestion: For every level 90 character you own, a 5% experience increase will be applied to all characters. Maximum 50% (10 characters at 90).

Which means if you have at least 10 characters at 90, if you wanted to start on another server you would have a 50% experience buff at all times.
    Honestly, while I would have hated this in previous expansions, I am glad it is happening. Pandaria levelling felt extremely long, and that seems to be due to a lot of variables. 5 mans became increasingly irrelevant both for levelling purposes and also storytelling purposes. A lot of quest lines, especially in Krasarang and Kun'lai did not seem to follow any sort of interesting story related to the expansion.

It wasn't so much the length of the levelling process, but there is far too many filler-quests and not enough interesting story-based quests involved. Only in Jade Forest, Townlong, and to a lesser extent Dread Wastes did I actually feel like I was moving through the story of Pandaria.
    I just let my toons collect dust then go out and do some quests, it really doesn't take that long to get from 85-90. Not really needed, but hey who's complaining ><.