Nvidia Drivers crashed *Only in WoW*

Technical Support
Prev 1 2 3 6 Next
I'm not having the same issues using a 650 Ti, but I do know that most Nvidia drivers do not play nice with WoW for some reason.

You might want to try turning off things like Threaded Optimization and such, the card could be overriding or conflicting with WoW if it has different settings.
Same Problem here...GTX580 driver 314.22. I have reverted back to 310.90 this morning and report the results.
Running with no addon , all setting to recommanded no crash for couple week now
You may want to look at this video, it may help you, the first half the guy gives the explanation on why the driver crash-recovery happens and the other half he shows what you have to do and what you need to change.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NtHDkUoN98

I have an Asus Laptop with a GTX560M overclocked using the 296 drivers and even though the crashes with those drivers are very rare, they do crash also, and after searching a lot I came upon the solution in the video, I did what he suggests and haven't had any crash until now. I haven't updated to new drivers because of the constant posts that the crashes were even worse, so I don't know if this will work with the 3XX.XX drivers line, but as the principle is the same I think it should work. Note that you should add some lines to the registry and if you don't feel confident enough don't do it.
I had similar problems with my GTX 650 TI (Nvidia has stopped responding and recovered, and a BRRRRRRRRRRRR noise and total system lock up). Sometimes would happen 5 min in other times 2 Hrs in (only in WOW).Tried everything I could think of. Started monitoring my GPU with MSI afterburner. Saw it was running REALLY unstable....I contacted NVIDIA and they said it was a power fault.. I upped the voltage from 1.050v to 1.075v. Havent had a crash. Also moved to my PCIE 8x instead of 16x.For some reason some of the Nvidia GPUs don't get along with the 16x slot on some Boards. So far this has worked for me.

Core i5 3570K 3.4Ghz
8G DDR3 G Skill Ripjaw
Coolermaster 750W PSU
Gigabyte UD4H Motherboard
Galaxy GTX 650 TI 1G
theres a new driver update.. downloading as we speak.. will let you guys know if it is a fix.
Hey Guys, I Have had this problem since Mists came out and I bought the Geforce 680 GTX. The fix is this. Graphics settings, under the advanced heading the frame rate limiter. Set it to 60FPS or less by sliding it. When the setting is unselected the Graphics card heats up like no other.

I play metro last light and max everything out and this crap doesnt happen to me, only with WoW. So give it a try, Set the foreground framerate to ~60fps and see how long it takes before your junk crashes to desktop because the display driver stopped.

I learned this fix from a post on the forums about Apple laptops overheating when the option is left unspecified.
I get the same. It seems fine while running dx9, but if you enabled dx11 it gives the "nvidia driver has stopped responding"
Someone please give an awnser to this! This is so annoying this has never happened to me and now its happening nonestop and I can't seem to find a solution, please help!!
I found something interesting on my system that may have stopped the crashing. After going through all the fixes, the one thing that worked for me(so far) was to enable vertical sync. I know it sound silly, but give it a try and let me know.
Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > NVidia Control Panel. On the left "Manage 3D Settings". Scroll down till you see "Power Management Mode". Set that setting to "Prefer Maximum Performance". Click Apply. Reboot your tower. ???? Profit.

Enjoy :)

This fixed the issue for my rig. PNY GTX 560Ti 1GiB.
Just a update this fix is still working for me. I haven't had a single crash since! Goin on almost a month now!

I had similar problems with my GTX 650 TI (Nvidia has stopped responding and recovered, and a BRRRRRRRRRRRR noise and total system lock up). Sometimes would happen 5 min in other times 2 Hrs in (only in WOW).Tried everything I could think of. Started monitoring my GPU with MSI afterburner. Saw it was running REALLY unstable....I contacted NVIDIA and they said it was a power fault.. I upped the voltage from 1.050v to 1.075v. Havent had a crash. Also moved to my PCIE 8x instead of 16x.For some reason some of the Nvidia GPUs don't get along with the 16x slot on some Boards. So far this has worked for me.

Core i5 3570K 3.4Ghz
8G DDR3 G Skill Ripjaw
Coolermaster 750W PSU
Gigabyte UD4H Motherboard
Galaxy GTX 650 TI 1G
i had same issue until i went into preferences and set it to directx 9 instead of directx 11
i call up bizzard and i was useing directx 9 and had the driver update and still hapons.Odd part it only does it on world of warcraft.I wish they find out the prob.I was told they couldn't find out the prob was.

i was told over the phone sometime it the internet or router.i know that not the prob.
I think I have a solution for this problem. Try turning your shadow quality up. That easy. See if it works.
Thought this was a solution, turns out it wasn't :/

- Download and install a overclocking and fan control software of your fancy. I used EVGA Precision X. Most large video card companies have a software for there cards.
- Turn down your GPU Clock and Memory Clock speed by about 10-20% . In my software its the main two big bars in the middle.
- Set your fan to kick straight up to %100 speed if it goes beyond 40 degrees Celsius. In my software it was listed under the "fan curve" button.

Happy dance ^^

Especialy for nvidia 500 series cards. Somethin in wow makes em hot. If you hit about 62 dergrees you gunna crash. Even underclocked you can still run it with settings all way up. Got mine running right about 57 degress happy sauce no crashes. I had the crash problem baaaaaad before this too.
I've been dealing with this for about a year. Never seen anything but WoW crash. Seems to crash more regularly in "complex" scenes or when I really need it not to crash (such as in raids on bosses, PvP when I need fast responses, or while fighting something I need to pay attention to.) If it's a possible fix, I've probably tried it. (Heck, I've probably tried it several times.)

My symptoms are:
- Video driver crashed, screen goes black for 1 to 5 seconds, and then recovers.
- Frame rate drops from about 110 fps before the crash to about 13 fps after.
- /reload reloads as designed, doesn't fix anything.
- Quitting WoW and starting it again fixes it every time. (But is essentially impossible when in a raid.)
- No BSOD, no reboot needed.

Things I've tried:
- New video card GTX480 to GTX 650 Ti. (Slightly lower performance, but it was cheap. Didn't help, still crashes. Both cards are EVGA.)
- Graphics API using DX11 and DX9. (Both ways crashed, no obvious differences.)
- Used both the 64-bit and 32-bit client. (Didn't help, crashed anyway.)
- Reinstalled Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate. (Utterly fresh OS, nothing but latest drivers, OS patches, and WoW installed. Didn't help, still crashes.)
- Changed boatloads of graphics settings in game. (To higher settings, lower settings, minimal settings, custom settings, and it doesn't matter, still crashes.)
- Fan management software for the video card. (EVGA Precision. Max fan, auto fan, doesn't matter, card doesn't get that hot running WoW, still crashes.)
- Underclocked video card to Nvidia standard spec instead of the boosted EVGA speeds. (Didn't matter, still crashes.)
- Latest Nvidia drivers over and over again. (Literally check http://nvidia.com daily to see if there is another new set of drivers that could fix this issue, doesn't matter, never found a version that doesn't crash.)
- Reinstalled various drivers with software to perform a deep uninstall, tried selecting clean install, and done research on and corrected PhysX version mismatch issues. (Didn't help, always still crashes.)
- Compared settings and performance with other games by many different companies. (Literally ONLY WoW crashes. Never managed to mangle settings for any other games to cause them to crash.)
- Cleaned out AddOns, Cache, and WTF directories at different times and in various combinations. (Result was hours of having to reconfigure the use of my Razer Naga mouse again, otherwise didn't help, still crashes.)
- Changed 3D settings to "Prefer Maximum". (Didn't help, still crashes.)
- Performed a "Repair Tool" from within the launcher for WoW. (Completed within about 1 minute, didn't find anything to repair, didn't help, still crashes.)
- Switched from my typical "Windowed (Fullscreen)" setting to just plain "Fullscreen" in case that was messing anything up. (Didn't help, still crashes, and in this mode takes the game with it and often causes weird side effects such as immediate disconnect when attempting to log back in.)
- Disconnected my second monitor because I was trying to simplify. (Didn't help, still crashes.)

I'd love someone to offer a suggestion I've never seen or tried before that might fix this... I'm honestly sick of dealing with it. It really rather ruins my WoW experience for obvious reasons.

Edit: Added 32-bit client attempt, full screen attempt, and removal of multi-monitors.
I thought I had this one licked by underclocking my video card, but NOPE, crashing are back already with a vengance :/
Bump, tried more things (see uber post above)... Anyone have any clues?
I was having this problem for over a month, and only in WoW. I did everything here including the advanced troubleshooting: https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/world-of-warcraft-lockups-and-crash-errors.

I reset the UI multiple times, ran the WoW Repair Tool, turned SLI on, disabled it. Uninstalled drivers, reinstalled them, rolled them back - NOTHING worked.

I have two NVIDIA GeForce GTX580s, 12GB Ram. Nothing worked. I downloaded MSI Afterburner to watch what was happening when the game crashed. Temperatures and GPU usage spiked as soon as I opened WoW. The GPU spiked to almost 100% usage. Seriously? When I got the black screen, the temperature was yellow in the MSI graph, GPU usage was 97%. Fifteen degrees in 3 minutes. WoW is right.

With the MSI Afterburner open, I started adjusting the game settings and watched the GPU, temperatures, usage and voltage stabilize. Finally, I just took the slider in the Wow System Graphics and slid it to 'Good'. I continue to monitor when I am in the game, but the point is, I am in the game:) I was crashing every 3-5 minutes.

You have to make sure you get the MSI Afterburner from the official site (http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm) - CNET has one that is a virus.

You can watch what is happening to computer as WoW crashes and make adjustments from there.

Just a thought. It worked for me after 6 weeks of nonsense.