The New Weapons: Reborn

Professions
I just finished the quest that gave me the plans to make these weapons. Each weapon is iLvl 463 but after some study, I noticed other weapons that can be made, each a higher level than the first ones.

To learn these other plans, do I just make the weapon or will there be a trainer or will I have to hunt for drops?
You have to make the 463. Then it will teach you the pattern for the next level. After you make the next level you'll learn the pattern for the final version. Note that you need the previously made weapon to make the new version of it.
29 days for each "top" weapon in total. A pain if you dual wield.

Anyone know if you have to forge lightning steel in the same area you turned in the quest or if it can now be made wherever?
Lightning Steel Ingots can be made anywhere. It's only the weapons that have to be crafted at the new forge.
Speaking of the 'top' weapons- does anyone actually know for sure what the damn ilvl of them happens to be?

Wowhead and mmo-champ are of no use.

I've seen 483 and also 502. 483 makes rational sense in terms of progression from 463->476->?? but seems that 489 would be the value for a whole tier, but given the time investment to make 502 seems more than fair (and even low-ball IMO).

Whole system seems bad- either their ilvl should be trivial and the time to make very small (ie they are essentially only for xmog like the klaxxi weapons). Or the converse where the time to make is long, but they are actually usable items (ilvl 502+). Even if 522 they would lose much relevance to normal mode raiders, particularly since we already had to wait until phase 4 was unlocked to even start to make ingots.

Ah well another not well thought out blizzard move. Not surprised.
463 (heroic level) >> 476 (msv lfr level) >> 502 (tot lfr level) >> makes perfect sense to me.

As for transmog vs. usable weapon, look at how long the Molten Front dailies took to craft a non-RNG weapon upgrade for casual players and fresh 90s. Then factor in that Blizzard wants progression to matter in Mists (as opposed to skipping straight to current content via valor and gold upgrades). I personally think the implementation was well planned out by Blizzard.
463 (heroic level) >> 476 (msv lfr level) >> 502 (tot lfr level) >> makes perfect sense to me.

As for transmog vs. usable weapon, look at how long the Molten Front dailies took to craft a non-RNG weapon upgrade for casual players and fresh 90s. Then factor in that Blizzard wants progression to matter in Mists (as opposed to skipping straight to current content via valor and gold upgrades). I personally think the implementation was well planned out by Blizzard.

I suppose we can agree to disagree, but if it's just supposed to be an xmog thing the triple upgrade and the time required is a poor investment vs return IMO. Especially if you happen to dual wield.

I mean, how many rolls would i get in 6 weeks or so of LFR for an equivalent weapon? Not to mention other gear + valor, I'm going to be there regardless. It just doesn't seem like a compelling timeline.

Also, 522 crafted gear (albeit at a cost vs just time). Like all things I guess it's a balance, but I'm just not seeing this one as being well designed.

I suppose we can agree to disagree, but if it's just supposed to be an xmog thing the triple upgrade and the time required is a poor investment vs return IMO. Especially if you happen to dual wield.

I mean, how many rolls would i get in 6 weeks or so of LFR for an equivalent weapon? Not to mention other gear + valor, I'm going to be there regardless. It just doesn't seem like a compelling timeline.

Also, 522 crafted gear (albeit at a cost vs just time). Like all things I guess it's a balance, but I'm just not seeing this one as being well designed.

I would agree with this. I just switched my Warrior back to Titan's Grip Fury and it will take him 2 months of full effort to get weapons from this. He is already using Klaxxi 463s, so the initial boost is only a tiny bump and it will be at least 15 days to get anything else useful.

Ironically, most of his gear is 450, except for the neck from the Shado-Pan Assault, the only drop I got from the starting LFR yesterday (Grrr).

I like the idea, but another daily cooldown sucks. It already takes me quite a bit of time if I want to do just the cooldowns on my array of alts. That is not fun play, that is tedium.

At least we don't have to go to that forge to make lightning steel....
I am curious, how much time does it take to hit exalted with the Shadow-Pan for a transmog helm compared to logging in for 5 minutes a day to craft the transmog weapon? Keep in mind that the new weapons take away some prestige of the players who not only leveled weaponsmithing back in BC, but also held onto the weapon until transmog was introduced.

As for the titan grip warrior example, yes, the 463 weapon is likely a wash. But with a 450 ilvl, how likely is it that you can enter and win two 476 2h weapons in the next 15 days, let alone one. How many attempts will you have in the next 30 days at a 502 weapon?

But yes, in this case we agree to disagree.
Depends, some people are just not lucky and might take them months...hint "Curator" hint Way back in BC days took like 9 months of solid raiding every freakin week before it dropped a warrior token>.>
I am curious, how much time does it take to hit exalted with the Shadow-Pan for a transmog helm compared to logging in for 5 minutes a day to craft the transmog weapon? Keep in mind that the new weapons take away some prestige of the players who not only leveled weaponsmithing back in BC, but also held onto the weapon until transmog was introduced.

It depends on if you quested in townlong or not, and if it's an alt or a main that doesn't have the commendation to double rep rewards. Not to mention if you are human and in a relevantly leveled guild to get the bonus rep reward (total +20% which is multiplicative with the double rep commendation FYI).

But in the best case IIRC if you do all the townlong stuff with all the rep bonuses I think you are most of the way to revered already. They have what 5 quests each day for 360 rep each? So if I ball-park it to say it's just going from rev->exalted (21k rep) making 1800 rep a day is ~12 days. So even by that best-case meter stick its too long for xmog. But I'd also point out its only 5 days to get the model (that first weapon), so I maintain if it is going to be 30 days a weapon, it should at least be a decent one (or just nerf the CD part down in the mats to accelerate the time to make 1 final stage weapon).
But in the best case IIRC if you do all the townlong stuff with all the rep bonuses I think you are most of the way to revered already. They have what 5 quests each day for 360 rep each? So if I ball-park it to say it's just going from rev->exalted (21k rep) making 1800 rep a day is ~12 days. So even by that best-case meter stick its too long for xmog. But I'd also point out its only 5 days to get the model (that first weapon), so I maintain if it is going to be 30 days a weapon, it should at least be a decent one (or just nerf the CD part down in the mats to accelerate the time to make 1 final stage weapon).

Not sure you are taking into account that the time required to make the weapon is artificially long, taking 30 days period. Even at 5 minutes to log in, use the cooldown, and logout, it only requires 2-3 hours of your time to craft.

On the otherhand, the Shadow-Pan reputation grind requires you to actually invest time in playing the game. True, my alt didn't get the rep bonus, so I didn't come close to honored, but it still took me at least 3 hours to complete Townlong, at which point a revered player would still have 12 days of dailies.

But I am not real interested in arguing this point. People play the game differently and Blizzard needs to tailor the game to a wide audience. This method seems to benefit those who can log in once a day while it hurts those that would rather just spend gold or spend a weekend grinding gold because they have nothing better to do.
29 days for each "top" weapon in total. A pain if you dual wield.

Anyone know if you have to forge lightning steel in the same area you turned in the quest or if it can now be made wherever?

Indeed - also, please keep in mind that the 2H Reborn weapons are UNIQUE-EQUIPPED, the 1H weapons are not. Why? I'm not sure - I'm guessing one of the types is marked wrong...TG Warriors beware!
Indeed - also, please keep in mind that the 2H Reborn weapons are UNIQUE-EQUIPPED, the 1H weapons are not. Why? I'm not sure - I'm guessing one of the types is marked wrong...TG Warriors beware!

I didn't think of that. I hope it is a mistake.... It will take quite a while to get one of those anyway, so it may not matter. I could always give it to my Ret Pally if that turns out to be intended.
You can make the 2H STR axe and the 2H STR sword to titan's grip. Since you get no benefit from doing the same weapon twice (you have to grind through all the lightning steel and each stage of the weapon anyway), might as well have two different graphics to play with.

That is unfortunate. Hopefully Blizzard will rectify the issue by 5.3.
You can make the 2H STR axe and the 2H STR sword to titan's grip. Since you get no benefit from doing the same weapon twice (you have to grind through all the lightning steel and each stage of the weapon anyway), might as well have two different graphics to play with.

I like having the look of two of the same weapons, though I guess I could always transmog if I really want that.
04/05/2013 06:02 AMPosted by Jozie

I thought I was reading the tip for the 1H and it also said unique-equipped. That would be the wrong direction. I don't know why they need to be unique though.

I thought I was reading the tip for the 1H and it also said unique-equipped. That would be the wrong direction. I don't know why they need to be unique though.

The 1H do NOT say unique-equpped...

For wanting to make weapons to sell or to equip up and coming alts with, I am very disappointed with the mechanics of being able to craft these weapons.

Ok, so the transmog use is great, but what I really want is usability. I want to be able to craft a weapon that is good for something other than its looks only. 30 days to the top tier, this is a little overkill, imo.

At least give us a way to get more than 1 Lightning Steel ingot per day. Something like the Alchys being able to transmute more using their Spirit of Harmony or something along those lines. I'm getting really tired of the daily CDs just to get mats.
I was a bit surprised to read someone saying they liked this system; that is not what I usually read.

But perhaps we are looking at this the wrong way: A BS will spend 380 Ghost Iron bars to learn the 38 non-weapon patterns over 38+ days. They will be left with 39 LSI. There is nothing else to make with LSI, so they might as well make enough weapons to use up their LSI. Although if the 502s will be able to be made by about when 5.3 ships, then will it be worth it to make them (18 Living steel, 12 Spirits of Harmony in addition to the LSI)