Haunting Spirits

General Discussion
1 2 3 6 Next
Now that I'm getting professions on my alts to 600...I notice the 522 Crafting things I can get tend to require "Haunting Spirits".
I understand you get these from 10 Man/25 Man Normal/Heroic Throne of Thunder raids, but...

You can get Blood Spirits, for example, for about 400 Valor...D/e (I think) LFR gear for the other raids, random drops from fail bags, and things like that.

So my question is. How do I get Haunting Spirits OTHER THAN Spending every copper on my account on the AH for one of them or doing Normal/Heroic Throne raids?

Is it possible to Disenchant my Throne of Thunder gear to get them (LFR Quality)?

If I get a drop, can I open Trade with an Enchanter, put the gear in the "Will not be traded" section and let them Disenchant it? (I'm kind of new to Professions, and I don't know how Enchanting works exactly.)
Those spirits only come from normal/heroic gear and they are expensive as hell because people are not yet disenchanting the gear regularly.

No, the only source is to pay a bajillion gold for them.
Blood spirits were not as accessible now as they were at the start of the expansion. Haunting spirits are exactly the same in this regard. When next tier of raiding is released and there's a new spirit to replace the haunting one, it will become just as accessible as blood spirits are now.

You can only get haunting spirits from raid level gear 522 and above. LFR gear and Valor gear do not give you haunting spirits. I don't think an enchanter can disenchant from the "will not be traded window" although I've never tried it. I'm pretty sure you would have to trade the item then have the person trade you back the spirit.
This annoys me too as I do not raid and feel I am being cheated from craftable gear progression (as an alternative to raiding). I never see haunting spirits in the AH.
I think it's a bit unfair, if you ask me. I mean...who is going to Disenchant 522 gear to MAKE 522 gear?
All you can do is buy them. As I did. And they are HELLA expensive. But, I like my shiny helm and boots.
I think it's a bit unfair, if you ask me. I mean...who is going to Disenchant 522 gear to MAKE 522 gear?

Gear no one in the raid can use is usually disenchanted if an enchanter is in the group.
04/17/2013 08:05 AMPosted by Felu

Gear no one in the raid can use is usually disenchanted if an enchanter is in the group.

True enough I suppose. Thanks everyone for the help!
This annoys me too as I do not raid and feel I am being cheated from craftable gear progression (as an alternative to raiding). I never see haunting spirits in the AH.

You can't have your cake and eat it too.

We all have to get haunting spirits the same way. The fact you do not raid is your own fault.

Funny though...guy don't raid wants raid gear.
This is not unfair, it's the way it's always been.

If you want access to end-level mats and gears when they are first introduced, , then you need to do end-level content.

Then, in a few weeks or months, Blizz will put the end-level mats on a vendor and every will have access.

So do the content if you want the stuff.
04/17/2013 08:09 AMPosted by Dûchene

You can't have your cake and eat it too.

We all have to get haunting spirits the same way. The fact you do not raid is your own fault.

so because i don't raid i should be excluded from crafting gear for those that do?

i don't like the thought of that. i myself only do lfr and as a "casual" i spend a good amount of my time working my professions which is a major part of how i make gold in w.o.w but feel this is handicapping not only me but also my friends that do raid but are getting bit by the rng bug when it comes to them gearing up for their raids(winning items but the same darn item every time..oh look i got the trinket for the 5th time in a row!)which is slowing their progression.

and by the time i will be able to make the gear it will be much outdated for a lot of other raiders which leaves a guy like me with patterns that i may never use.
04/17/2013 08:18 AMPosted by Khatula
so because i don't raid i should be excluded from crafting gear for those that do?

you can buy them from the AH. you're not excluded from crafting, you just don't want to pay for it.
The intended mechanism is a way to turn raid drops that nobody can use into useful gear for the raid, rather than just relatively useless enchanting mats.

This isn't anything even remotely new, tier after tier has had specific patterns that require specific mats that are, especially initially, extremely difficult and costly to acquire outside of the method of Blizzard's intentions.

Such things were never meant as a method of easy alternative gear advancement for those who don't raid.
I think maybe the best solution to a lot of these problems (and certainly the one I'm going to use) is to wait until the next expansion.

Blizzard has seen fit to make a lot of this stuff inaccessible (some reasonable, some maybe not - dinosaur taming, anyone?) and since it's behind content or mechanics I'm not really interested in, it can wait.

LFR seemed like a good idea at one time, but not so much anymore.

you can buy them from the AH. you're not excluded from crafting, you just don't want to pay for it.
i have seen 1 haunting spirit up on my server so far and it was for 8k so no i'm not paying that especially when i need a total of 8 to make the item. and again before the whole "after a while they will be more accesible" arguement it goes back to my point of by then the gear will be in a lot less of a demand.

i search the ah daily for these so yes i am willing to buy them but at reasonable prices and if there are enough that allows me to craft the item. i don't think it is very smart to spend 60k on crafting a item that may return 20-30k.
i have seen 1 haunting spirit up on my server so far and it was for 8k so no i'm not paying that especially when i need a total of 8 to make the item. and again before the whole "after a while they will be more accesible" arguement it goes back to my point of by then the gear will be in a lot less of a demand.

The simple fact here is that if you aren't raiding normal/heroic then why do you need to craft gear equivalent to normal?

I remember when Blood Spirits were 8k too. Once everyone is farming ToT Haunting Spirits will be just as cheap as Blood spirits are now, and once 5.4 comes out they likely will be added to the Valor vendor and the failbags, which will help out the raid finder crowd get geared enough to do SoO LFR.

8k sounds like a steal for a current level crafting item. Wait a bit and more guilds will DE loot and put it on the AH. If you're not willing to go into regular raids with a guild to get the items yourself, (because guilds generally reserve these for the guild bank to help gear up their raiders. It's not like they're handing the spirits over to their raiders and telling them to have at it with crafting or selling. It's the same as any other raid loot.) you'll have to wait until other people are willing to give up the drops.

These items come from drops off bosses. If you do not wish to kill these bosses in the raid setting, then your only other option is to wait for them on the AH.

It is crafted gear.... not raid gear. Just to clear that up.

But the point is correct. To get the end level mats you have to do end level content.

Also....

Blizzard has seen fit to make a lot of this stuff inaccessible (some reasonable, some maybe not - dinosaur taming, anyone?) and since it's behind content or mechanics I'm not really interested in, it can wait.

How is dinosaur taming inaccessible? You don't even need a group to kill mobs on that island.
The simple fact here is that if you aren't raiding normal/heroic then why do you need to craft gear equivalent to normal?

There are only a few things people NEED gear for in this game like enrage timers. You can easily do all the dungeons in MoP greens. However... you can do them even easier in blues and even easier than that in epics.

The reason people want near gear is because it is a game that has a lot to do about loot hunting and getting new shiny clothing.

And that's why you should want to raid.
Nobody is denying you to craft it or to raid in order to gather them.
How soon or how much of a profit you want for it, it is entirely up to you, and any raiding group loot rules.

You want it all by making no effort...and blame the system for it? Awesome!