Can someone give me a quick rundown?

Pet Battles
I've been gone for a while, I came back for a little bit during MoP beta but the pet battles weren't up and running, so I'm trying to figure out what's going on, I mean I get capturing them and battling to level them up, I see you can collect 3 of each which I'm still figuring out why, I see that I'll get a poor one, then an uncommon one then a poor one or something along those lines.
Secondly what is this about not being able to sell/trade wild ones? I don't understand. I understand that it's to cut down on botting or weird stuff people do to cheat the system, but is there a list of which ones are tradeable/sellable? I know about vendor pets, you can buy them and they add into your list I'm guessing like they used to, are they the only tradeable/sellable ones?
I've been gone for a while, I came back for a little bit during MoP beta but the pet battles weren't up and running, so I'm trying to figure out what's going on, I mean I get capturing them and battling to level them up, I see you can collect 3 of each which I'm still figuring out why, I see that I'll get a poor one, then an uncommon one then a poor one or something along those lines.

Generally speaking its usually good to just level up the Rare (Blue) Pets
You can collect multiple of a single pet because some (most?) of the pets have different breeds. One may be FAST, one may be Powerful or one may have high HP. Or some combination (Many addons can assist you with figuring out which is which)
Usually I only keep one, but there are some that do lots more PVP than me and keep 3 for different purposes.

Secondly what is this about not being able to sell/trade wild ones? I don't understand. I understand that it's to cut down on botting or weird stuff people do to cheat the system, but is there a list of which ones are tradeable/sellable?

Generally all the pets caught through Pet Battles cannot be caged (or sold) to prevent people from hoarding the spawn points to just sell them.
I don't know of a list of specific once you can trade or not, but rule of thumb is: If you can cage it, you can sell it.

I know about vendor pets, you can buy them and they add into your list I'm guessing like they used to, are they the only tradeable/sellable ones?

Not just vendor pets, but also pets that drop (from rare spawns or raid boses) can also be caged and sold. Most of the Holiday pets as well.
1. You have three spaces per pet because there are actually different breeds of many pets and the breeds have a strong effect on their performance. Check out Warla's site here for info on breeds and whatnot:

http://petsear.ch/

2. Bliz wanted players to "get out in the world and capture pets themselves" which unfortunately means that any pet captured in the wild is untradable, even though 90% of the pets caught in the wild are trash.

3. Many pets that probably shouldn't be tradeable are, like pets you get from rep grinds and whatnot. General rule of thumb is that every pet caught in the wild, acquired through an achievement or bought from the guild vendor will not be tradeable whereas most others will.
Ah ha, thank you. That does help.
1. You have three spaces per pet because there are actually different breeds of many pets and the breeds have a strong effect on their performance. Check out Warla's site here for info on breeds and whatnot:

Even though you can have 3 of the majority of pets (minus special ones like collector editions, anniversaries, etc...), if you do end up even wanting 2 of every pet, mathematically I don't think its possible. I know I still have multiples of some pets, sitting at around 584 total, still need several other pets and the max you can have is only at 650.

So basically, if you do end up getting serious about pet collecting and/or battling, be selective on what pets you would like to have multiples of. Weeding out multiple breed pets can be time consuming and sometimes overwhelming. Even if a pet comes in max health (H/H), power (P/P) or speed (S/S), sometimes getting one that is H/P, P/S, H/S (if applicable) could be just as good if not better based on the pets move set.

Check out WARCRAFT PETS (one word). It was the go to site before battles and (for me at least) still the easier one to use for the quick lookup of a particualr breed. Find myself alt-tabbing out whenever I am fighting a rare to see if its worth capturing.
3. Many pets that probably shouldn't be tradeable are, like pets you get from rep grinds and whatnot. General rule of thumb is that every pet caught in the wild, acquired through an achievement or bought from the guild vendor will not be tradeable whereas most others will.

Add Quest pets to this list like the Creepy Crate, Tiny Flamefly, etc. also promotional pets such as blizzcon pets and all blizz-store pets (except guardian cub) are non-cageable too
If you are just starting out at pet battles but have a high level character, I'd recommend doing the Raiding with Leashes achievement. It will give you 13 rare-quality pets (12 drops plus 1 from the achievement itself), many with some unique moves, and including some from families that are hard to find otherwise. You might also want to farm the Zandalari raptors from the Isle of Giants -- you don't need to pet battle them, just kill the troll mobs -- although there are plenty of other beasts, so you'll probably have some rare beasts from pretty early on.

You can use uncommons if you want, it's slightly suboptimal but that won't actually stop you from progressing until at least Northrend. It gives you a lot more options to choose from, since so many vendor/profession/quest/etc pets are fixed at uncommon quality (unless upgraded).

I wouldn't recommend using anything lower than uncommon though -- if you can just keep fighting them until you find an uncommon or rare, do that, and if they're *that* hard to find, just catch one for achievements and use something else until you get some upgrade stones. By the time you finish Zookeeper you'll probably have dozens of rares anyway, and you can get more from some quests that unlock after you finish the trainer storyline, and from several pet battle related achievements.