Anyone Play Guild Wars 2? Way different feel

Games, Gaming and Hardware
I hate the same thing on GW2 that I hate in WoW.

There's no clear identifier as to when you should move on to the next zone like there is no identifier as to where you should focus on all the dailies once you hit 90 in WoW.

I enjoy the GW2 shared questing far more however.

I don't get this, you have things like the Warchief's Command Board to suggest new zones to level in and they are different for the two continents. You can open up your map and hover over zones to see the level ranges on them as a way to help you figure out your next move. Once you're in Outlands or Northrend it's very cut and dry with a minimal amount of traveling to get from one zone to another (compared to Azeroth). They even have quest givers that tell you to go different places, often times taking you to the next quest hub. If Blizzard made it any more clear they'd take you by the hand and walk with you to the next hub or zone.
... then you hit level 80 in less than 2 weeks. Then you get full Exotics in another 3-4 days. Then you get all your transmutes/dyes in another 2. Then you pug Fractals until the highest levels possible using gw2lfg in a very short time. Then you get BiS on your toon with not even 1 month invested in the game...

... then you resubscribe to WoW after a 5 year hiatus because Guild Wars 2, while fun, with a nice story, good game mechanics, just left you hanging dry and feeling waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too casual.

Opposed to the 1 week (if you take your sweet time) to hit 90 in WoW. Full epics within the week if you know what you're doing. Fully gemmed after taking a trip to the AH. BiS with not even 1 month invested in the game...

And WoW makes you feel not casual? Is it all the mind-numbingly easy dailies? The fact that Heroic dungeons are so easy right after hitting 90 that you don't even need a full group. Maybe LFR where part of the raid just afks through? The fact that they have welfare epics in between tiers, so if you weren't quite good enough to make it past the current content, no worries, they'll artificially buff your skill with gear to get you to the next tier.

I'm just curious as to which part of WoW specifically makes you feel that GW2 is casual in comparison.
I played Guild Wars 2. The twitchy combat, the 5 abilities per combat which you need to situationaly switch out, the dodging (double tap) are all nice...

... then you hit level 80 in less than 2 weeks. Then you get full Exotics in another 3-4 days. Then you get all your transmutes/dyes in another 2. Then you pug Fractals until the highest levels possible using gw2lfg in a very short time. Then you get BiS on your toon with not even 1 month invested in the game...

... then you resubscribe to WoW after a 5 year hiatus because Guild Wars 2, while fun, with a nice story, good game mechanics, just left you hanging dry and feeling waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too casual.

My brother is way casual and he did say you level capped quickly, but hasn't capped everything like you did so quickly. So there isn't much end game yet. I guess the game is still pretty fresh, but wonder the quality patch support with no monthly fee basis?

My experience as well. Game is cake.

I played it even though my friends said "Hey this game is so cool, but it was released without end game content. They'll add it in as they go"

Well, they've failed me on adding in nice and juicy stuff. So here I am.
The big difference between WoW and GW2 is the way mobs/resources are handled. In GW2, after you mine a node, it does not disappear. The next person to see it can mine it. You won't see it however until is spawns again for you.

As far as mobs go, as long as you tag a mob and do some percentage of damage, you get loot from it and xp. Think of every mob in GW2 as a WoW mob that has the ! over his head.

The entire philosophy of GW2 is cooperation with fellow players. You never get annoyed really that other folks are around you, because they aren't stealing your nodes/mobs.

That said, I quit because the high level zones were incredibly buggy when I played. I also couldn't find much to do at level 80.
I hate the same thing on GW2 that I hate in WoW.

There's no clear identifier as to when you should move on to the next zone like there is no identifier as to where you should focus on all the dailies once you hit 90 in WoW.

I enjoy the GW2 shared questing far more however.

I don't get this, you have things like the Warchief's Command Board to suggest new zones to level in and they are different for the two continents. You can open up your map and hover over zones to see the level ranges on them as a way to help you figure out your next move. Once you're in Outlands or Northrend it's very cut and dry with a minimal amount of traveling to get from one zone to another (compared to Azeroth). They even have quest givers that tell you to go different places, often times taking you to the next quest hub. If Blizzard made it any more clear they'd take you by the hand and walk with you to the next hub or zone.

Not sure if this is what he meant or not, but I think it was cataclysm that confused me in the questing. I think i missed a whole zone because i chose the water zone first and then in Pandaria, i wasn't sure if i should just do all the quests in the first zone or just move on to next. I chose to move on to the next and only started clearing full zones when tied to rep i needed later (klaxxi ect)
Don't believe the videos, gw2 combat is not that dynamic. Its frigid. It's the graphics in my opinion. Had the same feel about EQ2. Trying too hard to look real and makes you feel like your toon's a Barbie Doll trying to animate itself through a sword swing. You don't need to target a mob to attack so a lot of the times your not even looking at what your attacking.

I haven't seen an mmo captivate the fluidity that wow has with its combat. That is by far the most important aspect of this genre to me. Closes so far was SWTOR, and they went for the cartoony look as well.
GW2 doesn't have the soul of WOW.
I have GW2.... It's kinda fun, but I haven't gotten super into it. I still prefer WoW. :P
Don't believe the videos, gw2 combat is not that dynamic. Its frigid. It's the graphics in my opinion. Had the same feel about EQ2. Trying too hard to look real and makes you feel like your toon's a Barbie Doll trying to animate itself through a sword swing. You don't need to target a mob to attack so a lot of the times your not even looking at what your attacking.

I haven't seen an mmo captivate the fluidity that wow has with its combat. That is by far the most important aspect of this genre to me. Closes so far was SWTOR, and they went for the cartoony look as well.

It isn't a problem that you feel this way, but i won't say WoW is dynamic in its combat at all. Its as close to a turn based rpg that you will get in an MMO. The idea of the holy trinity dates back a long time. FF1 white mages represent! There is nothing wrong with the combat (it works) The problem is when you are so formulaic in your encounters, that you lose the experience of actually doing something worth while. Go fight an ice troll irl and see if it is dynamic or formulaic.
04/08/2013 10:31 AMPosted by Baene
Someone should get this moved to the appropriate forum.

General is not a place to talk about general things?

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/2721885/

Not sure if this is what he meant or not, but I think it was cataclysm that confused me in the questing. I think i missed a whole zone because i chose the water zone first and then in Pandaria, i wasn't sure if i should just do all the quests in the first zone or just move on to next. I chose to move on to the next and only started clearing full zones when tied to rep i needed later (klaxxi ect)

Vaj'shir was just a nightmare to try to figure out, the zone was poorly designed as the developers probably figured (and I don't entirely blame them) that we're used to a three dimensional zone with our flying mounts, but older zones weren't truly three dimensional in the sense that you are actively doing anything at high altitudes and having multi-level questing areas became highly disorienting.

I've gone with both schools of thought in the past, where I go till I level out of a zone, or I stay and complete the entire zone from start to finish, and honestly, what matters most is your personal objectives and preferences. If you want 90 as fast as possible, leave the zone as soon as it starts to be a little low. If you want to grind rep while leveling and are interested in the storyline of the zone, then stay since unless you're sub-60 and doing dungeons, you'll probably still be getting XP (and mostly relevant rewards) through the final couple of quests.
Nope never played that game.
The big difference between WoW and GW2 is the way mobs/resources are handled. In GW2, after you mine a node, it does not disappear. The next person to see it can mine it. You won't see it however until is spawns again for you.

As far as mobs go, as long as you tag a mob and do some percentage of damage, you get loot from it and xp. Think of every mob in GW2 as a WoW mob that has the ! over his head.

The entire philosophy of GW2 is cooperation with fellow players. You never get annoyed really that other folks are around you, because they aren't stealing your nodes/mobs.

That said, I quit because the high level zones were incredibly buggy when I played. I also couldn't find much to do at level 80.

Spot on, my feelings also. I actually quit after I tried a Dungeon and got extremely frustrated. I came back to WoW and ran a great MoP Heroic.

Cheers.
some of my wow friends play it..I am thinking of giving it a go..sighs when I can afford the game
04/08/2013 11:38 AMPosted by Baene
t isn't a problem that you feel this way, but i won't say WoW is dynamic in its combat at all. Its as close to a turn based rpg that you will get in an MMO.

How is it all turn based? I don't have to wait for anyone to do a move before I do....ever. Wow combat is about being quick. When you push that button , that action happens, quickly. There's no slag animation built into our abilities. If they are then they are fixed(like FoF needs to be fixed). On my hunter I can silence this guy, scatter trap that guy, and wyvern sting that other guy, within a matter of seconds. A rogue is a good example of a class that can take someone down without them having a chance to react. They are definitely not taking turns.

It's difficult to explain the control you have in combat over other mmo's but you notice in more in pvp.
What is it with all the G2 posts popping up lately?

Been there done that *yawn* Couldn't get past level 25, was bored to death.

Wake me when Elder Scrolls come out, I'll play that for sure.

Normalized PvP would be my guess.

Admittedly, I REALLY enjoy PvP in GW2. Because of the way weapons change your abilities (even down to which hand they're in!) and being able to swap out another pair or single weapon (I run a 2 1hnd warrior with rifle swap) for when you need to is exciting, and actually pretty damned dynamic.

For those that are saying there is no endgame in GW2, you need to stop looking for PvE to answer that.

But that's the big difference.

GW2 is a PvP centric game whose PvE is balanced around that. WoW is just the opposite with being a PvE centric game who's PvP is balanced around THAT.

All I can say is if GW2 developed some endgame like WoW, Blizz could very well have some serious competition on it's hands. Not a "killer" but some real, honest to God competition.
some of my wow friends play it..I am thinking of giving it a go..sighs when I can afford the game

It's a worthwhile game to have since it's a non-sub based model and the environments are absolutely ASTOUNDING. Just don't expect it to fulfill a PvE endgame desire. But for $50 or so, that gives you something with depth and challenge when you need a break from WoW....it's very much worth the money.

Opposed to the 1 week (if you take your sweet time) to hit 90 in WoW. Full epics within the week if you know what you're doing. Fully gemmed after taking a trip to the AH. BiS with not even 1 month invested in the game...

And WoW makes you feel not casual? Is it all the mind-numbingly easy dailies? The fact that Heroic dungeons are so easy right after hitting 90 that you don't even need a full group. Maybe LFR where part of the raid just afks through? The fact that they have welfare epics in between tiers, so if you weren't quite good enough to make it past the current content, no worries, they'll artificially buff your skill with gear to get you to the next tier.

I'm just curious as to which part of WoW specifically makes you feel that GW2 is casual in comparison.

I feel like I'm always in a terrible guild or something, because having BiS gear in WoW has never happened to me in my 7-8 years of playing... >_>

Also, GW2 is really fun. I have 2 lvl 80s (mesmer and a necro) and they're great! I look at it like this: If I bought another game for $60 (Deus Ex, Dragon Age 2, etc), I would have about 10-30 hours of playtime on it. GW2? About 100-200 hours. So more bang for my buck.

Now that I've completed most of it, I just log on to complete quests, smash some heads, get some dyes, etc. It's a nice diversion from WoW, due to it's different playstyle.
the mistake people do when they try to play guild wars 2

1. try to play the game like wow ( gw2 is not wow)
2. expect end content ala raids ( do some research)
3. power lvl to max lvl.