Shamanism & CRZ

New Player Help and Guides
To start, when I re-sub to the game in the near future, I'm thinking of rolling a shaman.
My issue is when I read about them, there's always people saying how bad they are in all aspects of the game (PvP as well as PvE) or how the shaman needs to be a complete expert at their class to compete in any form.
Are these negative "rumors" true?
If yes, do they apply to all specs?

Secondly, are CRZ's as bad as they seem when reading about them on the forums?
I've been looking at transferring to The Venture Co. realm because they are CRZ free as well as have a solid community.
All classes are fine. I have fun and do well with shaman in all areas of the game.

I don't have any issues with CRZ. I'm not sure how people do have issues with it.

People also blow everything out of proportion and complain on the forums all the time. It's a horrible way to get a judge of how the game is.
I leveled my shaman as ele, and it was just a little too easy and fantastic fun.

Even in pretty bad gear, the damage output seems good.

I haven't done much PvP with it at 90, but there are always classes which are more OP than others in PvP..
...I don't think you need to be a complete expert.. just remember to use the tools which are available to you wisely, and not forget about things you don't use often.

CRZ... people either care too much, or not at all.
...it's part of the evolution of the game.
It's still relatively new, and there are still quite a few bugs Blizz haven't managed to iron out with it, but it really has repopulated the world.
It can make it frustrating to find rare spawns when you're competing with so many more people.. and sometimes you may have to wait for someone to finish a quest before you can start it, or stand around waiting for lootable items to respawn because 4 other people are on the same quest.

Unless you really enjoy world PvP (getting ganked and camped while leveling), roll on a PvE server... a lot of people on PvP realms are flipping out because there are actually people in the world to kill them now... before CRZ existed, you could go a long time without seeing anyone at all out in the world.
No realm is CRZ free.

I believe Venture Co. and I think.. Gallywix? are confirmed crz free
04/21/2013 06:53 PMPosted by Nobully
No realm is CRZ free.

I believe Venture Co. and I think.. Gallywix? are confirmed crz free

How is that possible?
04/21/2013 06:32 PMPosted by Missownage
My issue is when I read about them, there's always people saying how bad they are in all aspects of the game (PvP as well as PvE) or how the shaman needs to be a complete expert at their class to compete in any form.

That is said about EVERY class/spec. Do not take the whining you see in the class forums at face value, in fact I'd go so far as to say "dismiss it entirely".

The whining you see is mostly by people who didn't bother to learn how to play/gear their character properly and now they're complaining about how much better everyone else seems to be. Instead of realizing that they may need to fix something they're doing they blame the way Blizzard designed the class/spec.

Not only that, but while all the classes are balanced at level cap, PvP is like a giant tangled game of Rock-paper-scissors. Every class/spec has a flaw that someone else is designed to exploit, and in turn, every class/spec has that exploiter capability over someone else. Now this "exploiting" mechanism is not a guarantee that you'll win in an ideal match-up; gear, skill with the class, and general skill in the content will still trump. BUT all things being equal in those regards, it will tend to go one way more often than not.

Back to the "rock, paper, scissors" analogy: The whining is like rock complaining that paper is too strong, while paper is claiming scissors is too strong, meanwhile scissors is complaining rock is too strong. They're all just fine when played & geared correctly, but all anyone sees is "I have a hard time against _______, therefore I'm too weak and they're too strong."

Secondly, are CRZ's as bad as they seem when reading about them on the forums?
I've been looking at transferring to The Venture Co. realm because they are CRZ free as well as have a solid community.

Are you sure they're CRZ free? The CRZ feature was rolled out a few servers at a time eventually including all the servers as far as I know. if you're reading info from a few months ago claiming they're CRZ free, they may not be anymore.

As for your concerns: It's not as bad of an issue as people all claim. It's mainly people whining along the lines of "how dare players from a different realm than me take/kill the things I wanted, those belong to players on MY realm because they're the visitors" In reality, everyone's the visitor. You have no way of knowing whether you're visiting their realm, they're visiting yours, or you're both visiting a completely different 3rd realm that neither of you are tied to.

The only time it ends up being an issue is in the case of PvP servers, and that's only because the newer players on PvP servers have gotten a bit soft when it comes to getting killed by high-level players while questing. See, before CRZ the leveling zones on most servers were largely empty. Such that there was very little experience difference between a PvE server and a PvP server. Now with full zones with bored level 90's and leveling characters all being consolidated, there's actually a high probability that you will be killed while questing in almost every play session on a PvP server.

On servers of both types, you do have to compete and race to the nodes, you have to sometimes wait for kills, OR team up with people so that you all get credit for kills that you're all waiting for, etc. Basically, the world is full again the way it was intended to be.
Okay phewf, thank you all for calming my nerves when it comes to rolling a shaman!

Also when it comes to CRZ I'm pretty sure both VeCo and Ravenholt are CRZ-Free
Thanks for the information, it seems to me that CRZ brings no positive aspect to the game? With the exception of seeing other people around I suppose.

It's made possible because since both are RP-PVP realms, and I believe they were too different from other realms to merge them or something?
With the exception of seeing other people around I suppose.

You can talk and group with players from other servers that you see wandering about.

Also if you have friends on one server and you're on another you can form groups and be placed into the same zone instance.

The only servers on the NA client that should be CRZ free are the Oceanic ones that are the only realm for their type for that region. Unless Blizzard decided to keep the auto-CRZ confined to Battlegroups or data centers, which I don't think they have.
Also if you have friends on one server and you're on another you can form groups and be placed into the same zone instance.

So if I'm in a realm that isn't the the same "CRZ group" as another player from a different realm, could I still group with them?
So if I'm in a realm that isn't the the same "CRZ group" as another player from a different realm, could I still group with them?

Yup, as long as you know them and have their battletag or realID. Then you can put them on your friends list and group with them. It's only the auto-CRZ, what random people you'll see out in the game world, that are confined to the rules of "same realm type, no more than 3 hrs time difference on the server clock"
The only servers on the NA client that should be CRZ free are the Oceanic ones that are the only realm for their type for that region. Unless Blizzard decided to keep the auto-CRZ confined to Battlegroups or data centers, which I don't think they have.

Yeah, I believe that since both VeCo and Ravenholt are the only RP-PVP realms in their regions, they're excluded from CRZ?

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/8568400152 <-- post on VeCo realm forums

Wow that's actually great news! I have a friend on Arthas, and I wanted to play on Venture Co. and I was so worried I'd have to go there! Thank you so much for this information!
04/21/2013 07:09 PMPosted by Missownage
Yeah, I believe that since both VeCo and Ravenholt are the only RP-PVP realms in their regions, they're excluded from CRZ?

All of North America is considered one region (all 4 datacenters). Unless they've decided to only group by datacenter. It's not just by battlegroup because Khaz Modan is in the "vengence" battlegroup and I've seen players from at least the "Cyclone" and "Bloodlust" battlegroups when I pay attention to such things.

Technically the Oceanic realms are also in the North American region, but they're disqualified from being auto-CRZ'd with the others because of the gigantic time difference in the realm clock.
I see, unfortunately I don't know the specifics, but I'm sure that as of right now, both The Venture Co. as well as Ravenholt are CRZ free realms.
Ravenholdt and Venture Co. are CRZ free because they are RP-PvP realms and CRZ only mixes realms of the same type (i.e. PvP realms will only share CRZ with other PvP realms on their battlegroup) and there are not any other RP-PvP realms for them to share CRZs with. Or at least so I have heard.

As for Shaman, I play as enhancement mainly. DPS is super easy for me. Just head to Noxxic.com, read up on your glyphs (and talents if you wish) and look at the suggested rotation. But really, like most classes with instant casts, it's more or less "whack-a-mole". You hit whatever spell is ready to go. As long as you know when to use Earth Shock or Flame Shock and use the right totem for the right situation (really easy now, only really two or three you need to worry about), you're good to go.

I can't say much for Elemental, I haven't played that since early Cata. And as for Resto, not bad at all to heal with if you know what you're doing.
The major remaining (valid) complaints with respect to CRZ at this time as far as I am aware are:

That some world events (most noticably the Kalu'ak Fishing Derby) have been disrupted - either on hold indefinitely or discontinued, I'm not sure which - as result of CRZ... (Addressed to an extent by Blizzard, in that the Stranglethorn Fishing Tournament now gives the loot options that were available with the Kalu'ak.)

Dual person mounts frequently dismount the passenger when crossing borders between zones (Addressed to an extent by Blizzard that you no longer fall to your death, you get a parachute. Just hope that you don't land in the Lava or on a mob 40 levels higher than you are!) This one can get old pretty darn fast if you are trying to fly a lowbie friend (or in my case, your 8 year old daughter) around.

[Caveat - this may have been fixed and I'm unaware.] Mining/Herbalism can sometimes display ore/herbs that disappear when you land, since you see "your server" not the one you might be CRZ'ed into when you are high enough up.

And in the miscellaneous department, a whole lot of minor complaints that come with increased world population, such as some quests take longer due to competition for the quest items/mobs that drop them, and increased density of farmers where popular items are farmed.

But what it brings is the ability to group with almost anyone regardless of realm without one or the other of you being forced to change servers, even on a temporary basis as long as you are the same faction. How cool is that?

<S>