Returning Warrior, needs to relearn

New Player Help and Guides
I stopped playing WoW in the summer of 2010 because I just didn't have the time anymore. Some friends and I have recently decided to get back into Azeroth and I'm enjoying my return so far. I recreated my old toon though want to do some research before getting to far into him. I love fighter type characters whether it be in a tabletop RPG, books, or videogmes so ofcourse the warrior appealed to me. But what specialization is best for DPS? Back when I first played I went fury because Titan Grip sounded like a lot of fun, and it certainly was, but in PvP I was just stomped on.

So what specialization would you recommend for a DPS warrior?
If you're looking for PvE DPS, I think fury is the spec. For PvP, I feel that arms is better, though at lower levels, protection warriors are seeming to be good at PvP due to their hard hitting shield slam.
For leveling go protection. Shield slam is too good these days.
It really doesn't matter until 90 and only if you're min maxing at 90. Pick whatever you want.

I leveled both from 1-90 and play both in all content, and do just fine.
Thanks for the tips guys. I ended up going Protection since my friend decided to go Retribution with his Paladin. But man were you guys right, that shield slam hits like a truck. Thanks for the swift replies.
Be careful about choosing your class/spec based on how powerful it is. The next patch (5.3) is right around the corner and will most definitely shake things up.

Sheild Slam may be extremely powerful now, but that just means it's ripe for a retuning and after 5.3 it will likely be just "average" with everything else. If you've grown to depend on a super powerful ability to kill things, ignoring how the class mechanics and other abilities are supposed to function, then you're going to be in a sorry state when all that changes.

This is why it's typically recommended to pick a class/spec that you inherently enjoy. That way, no matter whether it's on top or bottom of the charts, you'll still be having fun and wanting to play and learn about all you can do for your character.
Well I've always enjoyed tanking so Proc spec is treating me just fine but I still haven't hit the battlegrounds with this guy yet. Probably won't either until the RaF expires.
Sheild Slam may be extremely powerful now, but that just means it's ripe for a retuning and after 5.3 it will likely be just "average" with everything else. If you've grown to depend on a super powerful ability to kill things, ignoring how the class mechanics and other abilities are supposed to function, then you're going to be in a sorry state when all that changes.

Shield Slam was extremely powerful while leveling because of scaling, and is indeed being retuned to deal less damage at low level in Patch 5.3.