[LFR]: Cata vs. Mist[LOOT]

Dungeons, Raids and Scenarios
Explain to me why it's not bad, then I might give you something serious. You won't convince me or anyone else that it's not bad.

Let's say my raid loses a tank. We can't recruit another tank on short notice, but we can find a DPS. So one of our DPS has to reroll tank.

Instant catch-up (which isn't really instant - it always required a substantial time investment, just not gated weekly) means that one person doesn't hold 9 other people back for a randomly determined amount of time.

It also tends to broaden our recruiting pool in the first place. The recruiting pool at the low end of normal raiding is very, very narrow under the current system of insane ilvl inflation and slow/random gearing that depends heavily on LFR. People who want to do organized raiding are mostly either already doing it, or so badly geared that we can't even consider them.
05/08/2013 10:43 AMPosted by Kaels
Explain to me why it's not bad, then I might give you something serious. You won't convince me or anyone else that it's not bad.

Let's say my raid loses a tank. We can't recruit another tank on short notice, but we can find a DPS. So one of our DPS has to reroll tank.

Instant catch-up (which isn't really instant - it always required a substantial time investment, just not gated weekly) means that one person doesn't hold 9 other people back for a randomly determined amount of time.

It also tends to broaden our recruiting pool in the first place. The recruiting pool at the low end of normal raiding is very, very narrow under the current system of insane ilvl inflation and slow/random gearing that depends heavily on LFR. People who want to do organized raiding are mostly either already doing it, or so badly geared that we can't even consider them.

For someone who wants to gear up for raiding quickly they have a few options (assuming they don't have VP gear): 1. Depending on class 502 crafted weapons. 2. 522 crafted boots/helm. 3. 496 crafted gloves/chest. 4. Full T14 normal clear, coin every single boss. Between gear funneling and 30% chance at loot on each of 16 coins, even the unluckiest will get a good amount of gear. 5. 4 world bosses. 6. LFR

After 2 weeks, you'll have coined 36 bosses and have 1 522 VP item and 4-5 crafted items. And that's before ToT LFR.
05/08/2013 10:55 AMPosted by Zikx
Between gear funneling and 30% chance at loot on each of 16 coins, even the unluckiest will get a good amount of gear.

No, the unluckiest (about 3 in 1000) will get zero gear from coins. Another 22 in 1000 will get 1 drop; for about 10 of those, that 1 drop will be the same slot as a crafted item. Another 73 in 1000 will get 2 drops; for about 18 of those, both drops will be the same slot as a crafted item. Another 18 will get 3 drops all in the same slot as a crafted item.

All told, we can expect about 8-10% of people to get nothing usable from coins in a full clear of t14. I'd guesstimate that the number who only get 1-2 usable items is in the range of 30-50%. The percentage who get nothing usable from drops is higher, and there's overlap between the two groups.

But humans are bad at probability. We assume that if we keep playing long enough, we have to eventually win (lots of research on this topic, it's really fascinating how irrational we are). Which is why gambling-based games like RPG loot work, psychologically, to keep people playing - if the loot is seen as a reward.

The problem comes in when it's not seen as a reward, but rather a prerequisite to doing things that actually do feel rewarding. Then you start losing people. Which is why catch-up gear should be treated differently from reward-loot.